Anyone make the switch from the iPhone to the Tour?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by motoracer1486, Jul 27, 2009.

1. motoracer1486 macrumors 6502a

If so, please let me know what you thought. I'm thinking about switching to Verizon or Sprint. Let me know if you were glad of making the switch - I've never used a Blackberry before.

2. runandsurf09 macrumors newbie

Blackberries are very nice phones had one before the iphone 3g and i miss it. but may have better luck finding better answer at the forums at crackberry.com.

3. The General macrumors 601

4. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

No he would get the same exact responses as hear just pro blackberry and not pro iPhone.

5. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I looked at the Pre, but I don't want a slider.

6. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

After having a wifi capable phone I could not go to one without it. I dont know why verizon wont allow wifi. Looks nice though. If the iphone didnt exist I would have a BB. All the people I know who have them love them.

7. The General macrumors 601

Fair enough.

8. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know not having wifi is a dealbreaker for some, but not for me - I don't ever use it on my iPhone.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

or a phone that looks like a bubble

10. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

My wife's boss' boss recently bought the BB Tour and mentioned that he had Verizon; so I handed him my 3GS 32GB iPhone and he couldn't put it down for forty-five minutes. The speed, the many apps, the music, the video display (Gran Torino, Transformers and Things We Lost In The Fire), connection to the internet (with WiFi) and full bars w/3G near the water, had him gawking and scratching his head, asking why didn't I see this iPhone earlier?.....:p:p:p

11. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I had a Bold before switching to the iPhone and I loved it. I love the iPhone more, but for totally different reasons (because I use it as an iPod as well and the Bold just wasn't cut out for that).

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

+1 ^^^ I think the BB Bold is the best of the BB line. The tour just looks too small and the "NO" WiFi thing is a deal breaker for me.....:eek::eek::eek:

13. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

I was issued a Tour by my employer. It took them almost a week to set me up with a BES account, so I've been playing with BIS.

It's a nice phone, but I don't like the way Blackberry does email in general.

Unlike most phones, you can't set up a pop or imap connection direct to your mail server. You have to do it through BIS. If there is a problem, it just gives a generic "you account could not be setup. Please verify you have the correct server information." You don't see the actual error message the mail server returns. I think since I have a corporate account phone, I coult not use the BIS web site - it errored when I tried to set up the web site account and said I had to use the phone to add email accounts.

One of my accounts I set up was my work's exchange account. It seems that any time you do something to a message on exchange, it changes the message ID and BIS thinks it's a new message and sends it to the phone as new. This got to be very annoying and there are a lot of people who have similar problems with other types of mail servers. Also, there is no wireless calendar or contacts sync without BES.

So, for personal use, I'd never get a BB just because of that. Other than that is a very nice phone and I'm sure I'll love it for the BES email (doesn't have that duplicate email problem). You can customize it far more than the iPhone and the screen is just beautiful.

14. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

If you've never had a bb before you need to spend a good bit of time with one before even thinking about switching from the iphone. It's an entirely different beast.

I got my first bb from work a year ago, when I already had an iphone, and I really expected to like it after hearing so many good things. I've since been upgraded to a new bb, but the experience is the same, and not at all what you get with an iphone, Pre, or Android device. If all you want to do is phone/email/text then you'll probably be happy with it, but if you think it's going to be anywhere close in terms of web, apps, multimedia, or general OS then you've got another thing coming. Bottom line, I use my iphone unless I need to access my work email/contacts/calender.

BB was designed many years ago with the business user in mind, and RIM has stuck very closely to their original vision in terms of OS, form factor, and capabilities. Many people use bb as a personal device, but it is not, and was never intended to be, a consumer-oriented device. It's a device intended to keep you in close contact with your email, contacts, and calender, and (perhaps most importantly) provide for very easy and effective central management and security.

So try to find a way to spend some extended time with one before you make this leap. I think you'll be surprised by the experience.

15. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea, i also think the Bold is pretty nice. I hate the way the screen of the bold looks. That look like its in a magnifying glass.

But i would go with a phone that has been out longer.

16. rmt5034 macrumors newbie

I just came from the Tour and havent looked back, I am very satisfied with my move to the 3G S. There are problems on the tour just look on crackberry.com

17. motoracer1486 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Went to a Sprint store today and left disappointed...The pre feels unbelievably cheap and I didn't like not having a touch screen on the Tour. Looks like I'll be sticking with the iPhone a bit longer until I find something I like.

18. topherg macrumors regular

I'm glad I found this thread! I'm actually considering switching to the bold from my 3gs... after 2yrs I'm just getting bored with the iPhone OS! I feel like I need a change! I'm scared to make the jump to bb.

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Have you actually used a bb? See my post above. It will be completely different from the iPhone. I you've generally been happy with the iPhone and just want a change, bb is not the way to go.

20. herzograven macrumors newbie

iphone's simplicity alone makes it more superior than the smart phones/any BB i've seen or messed with, i really don't find BBs hard to use, just seems terribly disorganized imo

not saying the iphone is perfect, for me, it's just the best smartphone out there and it's definitely ahead of the rest of the rest imo

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I had a blackberry before making the jump to the iPhone and while it was a serviceable device, it clearly lacked the power, flexibility and yes sexiness of the iPhone. I can so much more, much easier with the iPhone then I could have with the BB.

The browser was one area where the iPhone blows BB out of the water, my old BB was slow and incompatible to quite a few websites. The iPhone only balks at sites that rely on flash and to be honest, given the performance of flash, that's not a bad thing either.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I had the Bold 9000 as well and loved it incredibly. It was a major upgade over my curve. The Bold had wifi and 3G making the upgrade acceptable. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact of them breaking. Like all Blackberrys, the scroll ball fails the most. The thing is, with the Bold, I don't think you can replace it yourself. My Bold was lasting 2 weeks, 3 weeks tops before I had to get an exchange. I had different problems though, GPS not working, keyboard, trackball, etc.

The iPhone was another great upgrade.

23. lukin macrumors regular

I will be moving to sprint shortly. Relative can get me on their employee plan and I can't pass up the fact that it will save me $70 a month vs the iPhone plan.

I was curious about the Tour (and Pre). Pretty disappointed in the Pre build quality I've been reading all over the internet.

24. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

You can't generalize like that. I was 'generally happy' with my iPhone 3G, but I wanted a change and went to a BB 8900, and I've been very pleased with the switch.

The iPhone and BB each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and for some people, the BB may be a better choice. I love the way the BB can do true multitasking and backgrounding, which is very useful for me because I like running IM on my phone. And to top it off, I can do it on the BB without completely killing the battery.

25. coolbreeze07 macrumors newbie

coolbreeze07

Played with the tour, keyboard has really nice feedback to it. Even though its a little small, im sure you would get used to it. Screen is very nice and overall speed of the device is very fast. It seems to be a great phone. If youre looking for very good push and and battery, cant beat a bb. I used them for like 4+ years and was very happy. Now that I have a 3gs i miss them every now and then but for me iphone is a much better fit. Btw, verizon is bringing wi-fi to their berrys