Anyone miss the rounded back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Vertigo50, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Okay, obviously the iPhone 4 is so much better than the 3G or 3GS, but does anyone else find they kind of miss the rounded back? It always felt really comfortable in my hand, and somehow the flat design doesn't feel as good.

I think a big part of the reason they made the back flat was for the camera lens, which is now flat instead of rounded, and also so that the phone would lay flat on a table or whatever, but I have to say I miss the rounded back.

Anyone else?

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

3. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Funny you should say that. I just picked up my 3GS and kind of missed it! Definitely feels more "natural".

4. Stiss macrumors 6502a

My GF does.

Shes a douche though when it comes to phones.

Doesn't like the iP4 because it doesn't feel like my old 3G + 3GS.

5. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I did like the feel of it I must be honest, but all in all................no

6. lgrulz macrumors newbie

I do sorta miss it it was more comfortable to hold imo. Just looking forward to getting some sorta case on it being a bumper or a seidio case.

7. coelacanth macrumors 6502

I do not miss it, but one annoyance with the new flat design is that the camera lens sits pretty much right next to the ground surface. With the old round design, the glass was lifted from the surface avoiding getting scratched. I now put the phone on the WaterField's Suede Jacket all time.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I haven't used an iP4 for more than a few minutes, and always with that big round metal thing on the back connecting it to the Apple Store table, but so far, no. It was just a big waste of space. All the components are square and a rounded back just creates wasted space. I would rather have it thin than fat with a rounded back.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I definitely do. So comfortable to hold and felt better in my pocket, but given the choice, I'd still prefer the superior build quality of the iPhone 4. My 3GS was pretty poorly assembled compared to the original iPhone.

Maybe iPhone 5 will have rounded glass back :cool:

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

I for sure miss it. It was way more comfortable than this slab. Wish they would have put all the new features in a 3GS shell. That way it would be more durable and more comfortable. I am getting used to this one now though.

11. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

No, I love the new design. I find it much easier to hold/grip and aesthetically it is much more pleasing.

12. realeric macrumors 6502a

realeric

13. mrFinder macrumors member

here's how i look at it: the 3G/3GS case design, because of the rounded back, was more feminine/girly. this new i4 case is a lot more masculine with the steel band and flat back. it looks more professional. so for those who find themselves missing the rounded back, just think of it like that. would you rather have a girly 3GS or a professional manly i4?

14. myphone macrumors 6502

myphone

I do miss it. I still have mine (and the 2G) and sometimes played with them by using wifi. The 2G is connected to dock player with Pandora and the 3GS is to check emails :)

15. Vertigo50 thread starter macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

No thanks, I don't want to think of it like that. Mainly because that is your opinion and not mine.

I think both designs are amazing, and much better than anything competitors are coming out with.

Also, I should have said that I think the iPhone 4 "looks" better, but I just miss the feel of the rounded back.

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

what? this makes no sense lol. never have i thought the iphone was girly or manly

17. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I definitely miss the shape of my 3GS - it was much more comfortable in my hand. Oh, and it didn't drop calls when I held it either;).

18. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Agreed. But I also think the 3G/3GS photographs better (maybe this is why we have no iPhone 4 commercial?). The rounded back blends into the background making it look thinner than the iPhone 4. The flat sides make the new one look bulky in pictures.

I'd say the same thing about white vs. black, but obviously many disagree.

19. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

Thought I would miss the rounded design, but I actually like the flat design a lot more now.

20. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

No.

I found that the round back rocked slightly when I typed on it while it was on a surface. The original iphone was better in this regard and the iPhone 4 is a return to form.

21. fsck-y dingo macrumors 65816

fsck-y dingo

For the most part no, but I have mixed feelings.

To me, the iPhone 4 has better looks. I like that it's thinner and appears to be very well built. The 3G iPhone feels more secure while holding it and it's noticeably lighter in weight.

I guess you can't have it all.

22. patdesignsinc macrumors regular

patdesignsinc

Nope, I always hated that plastic rounded back. It felt like a cheap toy, whereas the flat glass back on this new phone feels like true sophistication. It's funny though, a lot of the people who complained about the "new plastic rounded back" when the 3G came out are now complaining about this new flat glass back, saying they miss the old cracking plastic rounded back.

23. AlphaE89 macrumors newbie

No, the ip4 is better to grip when playing video games and it can stand on its own on a flat surface. Overall flat glass feels more elagant then rounded plastic.

24. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

Before the iPhone 4 I was not happy with the body and the build of the 3GS. However now that I have been using the 4 for a bit I am beginning to see the value of a phone that is a little more durable. I love the look and feel of the new phone, if the glass had turned out to be as good as they where hoping it was going to be then we would not be having all of these issues. If I had more confidence in the strength of the glass I would be much happier

25. elohel macrumors member

is phone is so much easier for me to hold maybe i have weird fingers or something but

I feel like it's easier to hold in more positions

Plus it's much easier to take out of my pocket