Anyone not eaten at

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MyDesktopBroke, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

People like to talk about the low quality of food at places like McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, etc, but is there anyone here who has never eaten there? I asked this in a class where we were discussing the effects of fast food on the American life style, and my classmates were shocked to learn I had never eaten at a McDonald's, Burger King, KFC, Wendy's, Pizza Hut, Duchess, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, White Castle, or IHOP. The only fast food I'd eaten at was Friendly's, but the other students quickly informed me that was not a "fast food" restaurant.

Is it really that rare for some one not to have been to these places?

2. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

If by eat at you are referring to actually going and having a meal, I have never eaten in any of those places. I've had coffee their before, and bummed french fries off some friends who have gone in their but I've never gone into any of them for a sit-down or take-out meal.

3. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

actually i would be quite shocked that somebody has never been to a "fast food" place like mcd (and others on your list).

maybe somebody not living in the states, and living in a "rura" area.

4. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

I have eaten at most of them, but I can say for sure that I have never eaten at Taco Bell -- just never appeals to me.

5. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

That would be quite rare indeed where I come from.

6. MatLane macrumors 6502a

MatLane

First i have heard who dont

Then again. it's a good thing

There is a lot of rubbish in them.

*Takes hat off to you*

Infact i might do the same survey

;-)

7. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

No Duchess or White Castle for me. Although I would love to try those sliders...

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

people are very snobby about fast food, and sure it's not at all healthy or to be recomended on a regular basis but in the 21st century we're all busy and sometimes a burger from McD or where ever is the perfect solution

9. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

I saw an article the other day - I think it was a link to "Men's Health" - by the authors of "Eat This, not That". According to their research some of the fast food joints are actually healthier for you than the sit-down places like TGI Fridays, Applebees, etc.

Sorry, can't find the article right now.

10. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I grew up on all of those places but have not eaten at any of them in at least 4-5 years (if that counts).

11. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

I agree. Its not something I have very often but when I do its not choice but a lack of options.

Ontopic: here in the UK pretty much everyone has eaten at a fast food place at some time in their lives, most would be surprised on learning that someone hadn't.

12. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Definitely. Sit-down restaurants are usually worse for you, especially at chain restaurants where their portions are enough to feed 3 people, and most people will usually eat the whole thing.

13. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

That's basically what the class discussion was about. Whether fast food was created to serve a fast life style, or enabled it.

And I'm obviously not being snobby about it - all my friends eat fast food!

14. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

That's why I only eat out at Spago. :D

Actually, there are enough quick recipes available, I bet I could cook a healthy meal at home in scarcely more than it would take to order at McDonalds. Okay, maybe it would take like :15 minutes... but I'd rather make the time to sit down to a healthy meal. Meh, that's just me. I'm not going to cut off friendships or shun people just because they stop at McDonald's (a company I really dislike, btw)

15. Macgic macrumors 6502

ouch i usually eat the whole thing and half of my friends. lol

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've got an otherwise healthy lifestyle but I love a good MacDonalds. Not even sure why. But 3x 99p Bacon Double Cheeseburger has become my dinner of choice in town (which arguably I don't go to often).
    KFC is a different kettle of fish. I've only had 1 meal there before and I didn't hate it but still never went back. Then my mum told me the time she had a KFC in New York that had some chickens arse in it. Yea. I definitely won't be going there now :D

Now Burgerking I love. But both my nearest towns have closed their Burgerkings so no more for me.

17. BenEndeem macrumors 6502

I could count the times I've been into any of them on one hand and if my memory serves me correctly I've never finished a meal. I genuinely don't like how the majority of fast food tastes.

18. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I've had every one of those, besides duchess (?)
    All of them are within 5 minutes from my home, again besides duchess

19. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Oh man, if you think BurgerKing is good you need to make it out here to California and have an In N Out burger, oh man, the absolute epitome of a fast food hamburger.

I've eaten at everyone on that list except WhiteCastle or Duchess. IHOP isn't really fast food per say either. I do enjoy Wend'ys, probably my favorite of that list. But I do get occasional cravings for Taco Bell soft tacos or a McDonalds cheeseburger. I like Dairy Queens ice cream, but I don't know that I'd ever eat "food" there.

We have some decent fast food chains out here in CA, Baja Fresh, Chipotle, The Habit, all places where there are things on the menu that are decently healthy and made from quality ingredients. But they also cost a few dollars more than all the others.

20. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

I've eaten KFC 3 times in my life, and the last time I ate take-away pizza was in my final year of primary (elementary) school which was about 3 years ago. I go to McDonalds only for their soft serve cones or a drink, and nothing more than that.

21. larapumkin macrumors regular

i know a kid never had them, but that was because his parents were being so strict on that...
    it should be good for his health but not for his mind cuz he always look inside of those fast food stores watching other kids having fun at mcd's playground and eating popcorn chiken stuffs

22. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I try to limit my kids to McD's to just a few times a year, but damn I swear the "Golden Arches" are encoded into children's DNA these days.

Its amazing how an 18 month old can get excited seeing a McD's, even when they barely go there................

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've eaten at most of those places. The only ones I haven't eaten at are the ones that don't exist where I live (White Castle, Duchess, IHOP).

I know some people who have eaten there as children, but not as adults. Does that count? I don't know if I could avoid eating at a place like McDonalds. Sometimes, it's just convenient.

Oh, and I'll purposely go to McDonalds on vacation in order to compare menus, and the taste of the food. :D You'd be surprised at what you can order at a McDonalds in Taiwan, Fiji, Switzerland, Australia, etc.

24. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Agreed. In N Out burger is the best fast food on earth.

Actually, Chipotle is pretty bad for you. I think one of their burritos made the top 20 unhealthiest foods in America. Go look at their nutrition facts :)

25. Macgic macrumors 6502

+1 i love in n out!! thats one of the best parts of moving to Cali. The other being its always sunny (moved from oregon) also Chipolte is very good and i love the HABIT...tho i never heard of the duches or White castle. My favorite fast food place tho would have to be Sonic.....not sure if this qualifys but krispey kreme.....dang now you got be going. on could go on and on....