Anyone NOT selling their iPhone? And why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Insulin Junkie, May 30, 2008.

1. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Hey

Well this forum's cluttered with "I'm selling my iPhone for the 3G" threads. Since I'm not thinking of either selling my current iPhone for a 3G phone, and neither am I getting the 3G phone (at least not presently, we'll see in a year's time after I got good wear off my current iPhone)... are there any other people around NOT considering at the moment? And what are your reasons?

Mine are:

1.) I'm on pay as you go and generally only have the desire to browse the net per wifi anyway (and Wifi's still faster than even 3G net browsing)
    2.) I never make video calls
    3.) I send my MMS (if ever I send one) from my current iPhone already (using the MMS app)
    4.) I don't need a nav
    5.) Any cool software 2.0 features will probably be available for free download from installer anyway, also hack for 2.0 will be found soon enough (if it isn't already), in which case I'll re-jailbreak and update my firmware.

Bottom line is.. I'm happy with what my phone can do now, I don't need any new features. What about you guys? :)

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

1) my parents bought this one and i know they wont wanna buy the new one and i dont feel like spending money when i have a kick a$$ phone anyways.

2) all new software (2.0) will work on the iPhone v1 so the only thing i miss out on is hardware upgrades

3) if MMS is offered its a software upgrade not hardware, so I will get it on my v1 iPhone.

theres other reasons but i dont feel like thinking

3. Peabody macrumors regular

Well, for me it's not a matter of selling the phone for the new one.

It's a matter of giving my wife the old one so she won't blink when I buy the new one. :D

4. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

nice, I need to get me a wife to give mine to. Maybe I can convince my parents to give my brother mine, but the rest of my family is on verizon, as I was before i switched over to get the iPhone

5. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

my husband and i are not selling ours because we do not have good coverage in our area, i dont feel like waiting a month to get one (i KNOW they will all be sold out for a while) and like the above poster said, all of the upgrades that i care about, like MMS and such are software upgrades and will be available for the first iphone.

For me, its not nessesary. When my time comes for an upgrade, i will go with another generation iphone, but who knows.. by then we could be on 4 or 5..

also, its impossible to try to ALWAYS have the newest and best when it comes to technology, so why bang your head against the wall trying to keep up.. in MONTHS there will always be something a little better

6. tdevers macrumors regular

Just bought mine refurbished from ATT. Not giving it up when I just got it.

1. Contract with verizon through November '09
    2. Pay As You Go so I don't have to worry about a contract or ATTs horrible service in my area.
    3. Mainly used for PDA and iPod.

7. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

I'd like faster data and a better camera, but that's about all. I'm not selling mine, though, because:

1) I don't know how to mess with SIMs and crap.
    2) I tossed my old phone.
    3) I don't want to be without my iPhone for a month.

There's an outside chance AT&T will start subsidizing the new phone. If that's the case, then crap, I shoulda sold mine today. But that's life, and I'm playing it safe and easy.

8. atari1356 macrumors 68000

atari1356

That's exactly what I plan on doing as well. :) (assuming the features/price of the new one are right)

9. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I have a perfectly functional phone. 3G will add nothing to the way I use my phone.

Unless they do something dramatic in the new iPhone that the current one doesn't, I'm not worried about it.

If they *do* do something wild, then I will consider saving up to buy it.

10. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Keeping mine as a backup. You never know when you might need another iPhone. Perhaps to call a plumber.

Alex Alexzander

11. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Same here. And offhand I can't think of any feature so cool I'd consider shelling out the money for a new phone right now.

Well.. if it made me breakfast ;)

12. touchyphone macrumors regular

I won't because

1) I get high EDGE Speeds, always more than 130kbps here in LA, and that fast enough for me

2) My iPhone is pristine, no scratches, dents ,dings, anything.

3) I love the look, it's sexy, who knows what the next will look like, but the current is too sexy for me!

13. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Yeah. If the v2 iPhone has anything else other than an aluminum back I think I'll just wait for v.3 alltogether.

14. Decrepit macrumors 65816

Decrepit

I can think of other services I'd pay for. I don't get up early enough for breakfast. :)

My phone still looks like it did when I took it out of the package back in July. I'm sure the new iPhone will have minor improvements. But it would be hard to beat the look it has now.

How do you measure your EDGE speed? Some days it feels like a decent network connection. Some days it feels like a 2400 baud modem.

15. Insulin Junkie thread starter macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Which ones :)

16. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I'm not planning on selling my iPhone but I do hope to get a new one when they come out. Father's Day is coming up. I can't give the old one to my wife because she already has one. I think the old one will become the "home" phone.

17. touchyphone macrumors regular

I use a webapp called inetworktest....I dont recall the address but found it on the apple.com/webapps page! ;)

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I got my iPhone in January as a birthday gift. I don't see enough of an improvement to warrant trying to sell mine and get a new one.

19. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

Chief Reason: We don't have 3G here and considering we just got AT&T coverage like, two weeks ago, I'm not holding out hope for it for a few years. I live in the boonies.

Second reason: I paid $50 for this iPhone new in the box, and now I sort of can't see spending more than that for one!

20. touchyphone macrumors regular

you paid $50 for a new in box iphone? i call shenanigans!

21. paulinhadrp macrumors member

I have just sold mine on eBay for more than I paid it for... And it sold just 10 SECONDS after I posted it, so this is really the time to sell it.
    I was fine with the 1st gen phone. The only reason I sold it was because in 2 weeks, the value of my phone would decrease drastically, and I was considering an upgrade anyways. Also, since :apple: is not selling it anymore, the demand for my little sucker was the highest I would ever get. It's not like I'm going to die without my iPhone for a couple weeks. I can survive with a crappy normal phone for a few weeks (or even a month or so) and then get the next one for the same or a small price.

I'm a happy camper!

22. newyorksole macrumors 68020

I'm selling mine because:

1.3G !! my area is covered and I really want to take advantage of the 3G.
    2.It is a whole new phone that might have significant hardware upgrades like louder sound, unrecessed headphone jack and better battery.
    3.I just really want the phone lol

But I am sooooooooooo worried that I won't like the design, thus not wanting to get the phone. I hope they make it beautiful.

23. fedup flyer macrumors regular

I am gonna wait about 3 months before jumping in and buying the 3g version. First to see if the upgrade lives up to the propaganda and secondly, to let Apple work the kinks outta the the first few weeks of the production line.
    Never buy the A model of anything.
    I can't afford to be on the road with out a properly functioning phone but I am willing to take the hit on the re-sell value of my iphone.

24. isimon1207 macrumors member

if the new phone looks anything likenthe mock ups then I will certinly be more happy with the current gen

25. wideholic macrumors newbie

wideholic

Sold Mine

:confused:I sold my 16GB iPhone on craigslist about 3 weeks ago for 500..

It was like new and had all the boxes and package stuff..

I also unlocked it for em..Feels like I could get some more ..