Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spicynujac

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2012
Remember, Steve Jobs was touting what he had to sell. His comments about 7" devices is also frequently taken out of context. Remember, it isn't just about an extra 0.9". It is also the 4x3 aspect ratio compared to the narrower 16x9 ratio of the 7" Android devices.

Yes, I understand that Steve may have later decided that a mini was a good product to offer, but there is a reason when Apple introduced the tablet computer, they did a LOT of market research and a lot of effort went in to good design, and they believed that the full size ipad was the ideal size for use, balancing portability with productivity. They could have introduced any size device they wanted (iphone, after all, is TINY and has the same basic hardware) but there is a reason they chose 9". Jobs wasn't just defending some arbitrary size that they had on hand to sell--a lot of research and testing went into that choice.

Ohrstrom

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2012
Sweden
This was known well in advance. We knew the measurements. We know it was going to be light. It's the name. Hell, it's worked on me and I was already getting it. A fantastic Marketing idea, extremely well implemented.

But as I stated earlier. It's a fantastic product, but really nothing we weren't expecting except for the name.

The reduction in bezel was guessed, I don't recall reading about the massive weight and thickness reduction though... So again, I think the vast changes in weight and thickness makes people reconsider. The name change might be the reason you like it more, but you shouldn't speak for the rest of us/them. For all I care they can rename the mini retina to "Mini Pile o' Poo"... Id still get it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, I understand that Steve may have later decided that a mini was a good product to offer, but there is a reason when Apple introduced the tablet computer, they did a LOT of market research and a lot of effort went in to good design, and they believed that the full size ipad was the ideal size for use, balancing portability with productivity. They could have introduced any size device they wanted (iphone, after all, is TINY and has the same basic hardware) but there is a reason they chose 9". Jobs wasn't just defending some arbitrary size that they had on hand to sell--a lot of research and testing went into that choice.

True, but I think partly that was to avoid the issue that Android has had in which there aren't many tablet-specific apps. By making the iPad significantly larger, it forced developers to write for it specifically. Steve Jobs maybe had to be convinced that an 8" design would work, but he was convinced and work began under his watch.

Having actually used both, I'm glad they changed their minds. I prefer the smaller format. Yet it is still significantly larger than the iPhone, and so there are plenty of specific apps for it. Contrast this with Android, which has gravitated to a "split the difference" approach with super-large phones and mostly tiny tablets all running the same non-device-specific apps.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The reduction in bezel was guessed, I don't recall reading about the massive weight and thickness reduction though... So again, I think the vast changes in weight and thickness makes people reconsider. The name change might be the reason you like it more, but you shouldn't speak for the rest of us/them. For all I care they can rename the mini retina to "Mini Pile o' Poo"... Id still get it.

There were plenty of Mac Rumors stories about the dimensions of the new iPad Air. And obviously that meant a reduction in weight. It was the worst kept secret Apple's just about ever had apart from the "lost" iphone 4 in a bar from a few years ago. So this really should come as no shock to MacRumor users. The general Public should be suitably wowed by the new model though.

I don't like it more because of the name - I was sold on it no matter what form it took because I wanted to upgrade from my ipad 2. I'm saying it's brilliant marketing and lots of people are falling for it, even though they are falling for a brilliant piece of expected kit. But of course people aren't going to admit they are getting sucked in by the hype of the name, because users here are too cool for that *****.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.