Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Weird. I bit the bullet last night and went and signed up for service with Verizon. I signed up for the single line plan for $60/mo. Walked out with the Galaxy S5 for $100! I figure if the iPhone 6 is a killer I'll be able to sell the S5 for at least $400 and I'll pay for the rest.

Most of the folks at VZW that I talked to think the single line plan will get pulled before the iPhone's release anyway FWIW.

I seriously doubt that. The plan was announced August 15th. The iPhone 6 should be available for purchase or pre-order by then or shortly after. So that would mean they would be pulling the promo in roughly a month's time.

I think the $60 is partly meant to sway people to sign up with Verizon once the iPhone 6 is available. I'd be shocked if the $60 is not available for the entire month of September and most likely much longer.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I think the $60 is partly meant to sway people to sign up with Verizon once the iPhone 6 is available. I'd be shocked if the $60 is not available for the entire month of September and most likely much longer.

Or it could be a plan to generate sales in a time when they are expected to be sluggish because everyone is waiting for the iPhone 6 release.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
And if they had better signal where I worked, I would gladly switch. As it is, the slight savings just isn't worth the marginal signal, extremely high latency, and less than 1Mbps throughput.

Wow, you must be in a bad area for TMobile then. The test I did inside my house was about 20mbps. And I drive 38 miles each way to/from work, and stream video the whole way, without a hiccup so far. It's been really nice. I'm in the Tampa Bay area. True, I haven't ventured into very rural areas though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Wow, you must be in a bad area for TMobile then. The test I did inside my house was about 20mbps. And I drive 38 miles each way to/from work, and stream video the whole way, without a hiccup so far. It's been really nice. I'm in the Tampa Bay area. True, I haven't ventured into very rural areas though.
At home, T-Mobile actually has much better signal than Verizon and is faster than AT&T. I don't really need it there though since I have 100Mbps cable internet. I'm not in a rural area but it's kinda hilly where I work and I guess that interferes with the signal.

jharvey71884

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
I jumped over today. The wife and I have been sharing 6GB on a family plan. This will knock our bill down about $35 to $40. We have been using about 5gb, but a lot of it was so our kid could watch HULU from the backseat. Just putting some cartoons on my iPhone and hopefully will stay under.

Derek87

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2009
I just jumped on the Single Line Plan. My bill after tax, went from $90 a month down to $68 and change.
So this plan is a no brainer for me.
IMHO, this is a positive step forward for Verizon.

curious: is it really $8 or so in taxes on this plan.

i know it seems like i'm splitting hairs, but i'm curious because in the long run, everything counts as i'm considering moving to Verizon and this plan with the iPhone 6.

right now on a grandfathered AT&T plan (450min, 200 txts 2gb data + corporate discount) my taxes are under $4/mo. (58.29 before taxes, 62.06 after)

so, i'm wondering how much more a month i would be paying. (especially since i was thinking of cutting off my the 200 txt plan at $5 from current bill which would mean that i'm comparing $57 for AT&T versus either $64 or $68...)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
curious: is it really $8 or so in taxes on this plan.

i know it seems like i'm splitting hairs, but i'm curious because in the long run, everything counts as i'm considering moving to Verizon and this plan with the iPhone 6.

right now on a grandfathered AT&T plan (450min, 200 txts 2gb data + corporate discount) my taxes are under $4/mo. (58.29 before taxes, 62.06 after)

so, i'm wondering how much more a month i would be paying. (especially since i was thinking of cutting off my the 200 txt plan at $5 from current bill which would mean that i'm comparing $57 for AT&T versus either $64 or $68...)
Taxes and fees are quite dependent on where you are, from state, county, down to city/town. So for some they might certainly be higher while for others with the same plan/features but in a different location they might be lower.

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Or it could be a plan to generate sales in a time when they are expected to be sluggish because everyone is waiting for the iPhone 6 release.

I still think it will be available come iPhone 6 release.

For what it's worth. Here's a conversation I had just now. I was curious about the same question. :D Granted it's a random worker but at least it's an answer of some sort in addition to the Verizon store workers.

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative, we appreciate your patience. Your current estimated wait time is 0 min 10 secs.

I can’t wait to tell you how you can get MORE! Ask me about our new MORE Everything Plans now!

Your RealTime session ID is RT10776120339.
You are now chatting with 'Ashley R.'
Ashley R.: Hello, welcome to Verizon Wireless sales chat! My name is Ashley R., may I have your name, please?
Mindbender14: Hi, I have a question about your single line plans
Mindbender14: When does the promotion end? I'm waiting for the iphone 6 release but wanted to make sure I didn't miss this plan.
Ashley R.: The plan is ongoing
Mindbender14: Oh, so it's not promotional?
Ashley R.: The plan will go back to 1gb for 60.00 on 9/30
Mindbender14: Ok, thank you! That makes my decision easier.
Ashley R.: You are most welcome! Was there anything else I can help you with today?
Mindbender14: No thanks, that's it

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Remember, you still need to pay off the EDGE installments if you want to switch carriers (and that's bound to cost more than the ETF). Really, the only benefit of EDGE in this case is that you don't have to pay a "deposit".

Another advantage is that after 30 days, you can upgrade at any time as long at least 60% of your Edge balance is paid. You can't do this with a 2 year contract.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I hope the single plan competition starts to heat up. Seemed like every half decent plan was geared toward shared data/family plans etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Another advantage is that after 30 days, you can upgrade at any time as long at least 60% of your Edge balance is paid. You can't do this with a 2 year contract.
And as long as you trade-in (return) your phone, or pay off the remaining balance if you want to keep it.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
This new Verizon plan has me contemplating giving up my unlimited data plan. I pay 89.99 + taxes/fees ($103 total) for 900 anytime min/unlimited data/text & free mobile to mobile & any 5 contacts.

Could save me a good $25-30 a month if I cave. Guess will ultimately depend on if I want the iPhone 6 that badly since I have been off-contract for 2+ years.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Reading about this plan has been intriguing.

I'm currently a Verizon customer on contract and have thought pretty hard about taking advantage of it. But I need to know if I can just switch to it being under contract, or do I have to go to the edge program to do so?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Reading about this plan has been intriguing.

I'm currently a Verizon customer on contract and have thought pretty hard about taking advantage of it. But I need to know if I can just switch to it being under contract, or do I have to go to the edge program to do so?
Seems like it's available to those with Edge and those without it as well.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
Thanks.

Called Verizon and checked on it and I could switch to the plan. But the rep went over my account and told me that based on my usage patterns that the plan wouldn't be in my best interest.

Currently my bill will be $45/month before taxes and fees.

I get 250Mb paid data, and as of yesterday, 1Gb of additional data per month. The $45/month includes a 1 year Customer Loyalty discount of $10/month.

Since 1.25Gb of data is more than I'll actually use, I think I'll leave everything alone.

I had thought of going to the Edge program and getting a new phone, but it would nearly double my current billing.

imaketouchtheme

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2007
Note quite sure if this has been posted since people started speculating on the date, but the CONFIRMED end date is 9/30. This has nothing to do with "boosting" sales before the iPhone launch and everything to do with just boosting sales in general. They did the same thing in March as well. You can also get an extra 1GB / line you upgrade or add to a More Everything plan as well.

ineel

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2010
This is a really good plane. Anyone know if a corporate discount will work with this plan?

iososx

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2014
USA
A very close friend is a top executive at Verizon. He's constantly offering me very deep discounts on service and phones. Yet I tactfully say no thanks. GSM is a far better system for my needs, it also allows me more choices of phones since I enjoy both iOS & Android. Traveling internationally is the last reason, so no I'd never use Verizon.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I don't consider that an advantage. A month old phone has way better resale/trade in value than the 40% you're essentially getting with EDGE.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
A very close friend is a top executive at Verizon. He's constantly offering me very deep discounts on service and phones. Yet I tactfully say no thanks. GSM is a far better system for my needs, it also allows me more choices of phones since I enjoy both iOS & Android. Traveling internationally is the last reason, so no I'd never use Verizon.
Well, at least as far as traveling is concerned, when it comes to LTE phones, especially iPhones, the Verizon versions are unlocked and support GSM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.