Anyone realized that Apple clearly missed the Windows 10 go live?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macenied, Aug 4, 2015.

1. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

No supported Apple device to date. It just came into my mind. Obviously not a good customer service. Why they did ?

2. sunapple macrumors 6502a

sunapple

Don't know, but I'm not updating to Windows 10 until everything, including the one program I use it for, supports it. A program that, btw, clearly missed that OS X has been live for some time now...

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

4. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

I'd expect that Apple releases new and compatible driver packages for Intel based Macs ( "BootCamp" ) including documentation so that customers can upgrade. What happens because they did not you can read in the threads of this forum.

5. Atlantico macrumors 6502

Atlantico

Bootcamp 5 was released in March of 2013 and was the first version that supported Windows 8. That's like 6 months after Windows 8 was released.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I understand there are some special cases where Bootcamp is needed, but for most of us, running Windows with Fusion or Parallels is a better solution all around. I have VMs of Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 (as well as Ubuntu), and all work amazing well with no issues. At times I have them all open together, but usually only one. I have been running Windows 10 as a part of their developer's program for a good while now and it performs well in the VM world. I have bootcamped in the past, but tired of the hoops to jump through, the wasted drive space and the re-boot. I prefer Fusion and VMs to Bootcamp.

7. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

I wouldn't expect Apple to release Boot Camp drivers for quite some time. Apple is concerned with OS X, not Windows.

Not bad customer service at all.

8. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

So they sell Intel hardware and bootcamp just for fun ? Ah, I almost forgot ... they sold iPhones (6) without appropriate SW as well ;)

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They don't sell Boot Camp. Apple is under no obligation to provide drivers to run Windows on a Mac. I don't get your iPhone comment either.

10. macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

Healthkit, ApplePay, ... you can remember ?

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

How did those stop the iPhone from functioning? It still worked, and they announced that these features would be either delayed, or they didn't give a release date.

12. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Look, it's not just Apple. My Sound Blaster doesn't even have Windows 10 drivers yet and it's a device sold primarily sold to Windows users. There's also those huge issues with Nvidia Windows 10 drivers breaking multimonitor, SLI setups, and more.

The bottom line is that it's a bit early. Windows 10 is a big change and it will be a while before everything supports it well. This is not limited to Apple. If you are rushing to install Windows 10 you have to accept that you will have early adopter problems.

I can see why Apple wouldn't want to jump into the fray on day 1.

13. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I'm sure Apple will get to updating Boot Camp for Windows 10. If I had to guess, and that's what I'm doing, they'd probably want to wait for a final, public build of Windows to be released, which it now has, before they update their software to work with it.

And as others have mentioned, Apple has no obligation to update Boot Camp to support Windows 10, now or ever, if they so choose.

I used to use Boot Camp for Windows 7 and 8.1 and was tired of having to reboot into each OS when I wanted to use it and then being without OS X at the same time.

Since I switched to Fusion 7, I migrated my 8.1 installation to a VM and have been much happier being able to run both OS X and Windows at the same time.

I've also upgraded that 8.1 to 10 too and that went very nicely.

As an aside, I'm currently building a VM of Yosemite on Fusion 7 Pro to bring to work and import into vSphere so I can run OS X on my office Windows computer.

14. pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

I don't know what you are insinuating, but Apple can easily drop bootcamp and any sort of Windows support if they feel like it, TODAY. Don't like it, don't buy it.

Of course their goal with bootcamp was to give people a sense of security when the mac started to grow. Nowadays, it isn't a must have feature at all. In fact, I believe that bootcamp will be dropped in the next few years from newer OS X versions, and eventually all windows support will be dropped when they go ARM.

No one will care. But for now, they are doing a great job.

15. macenied, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

macenied thread starter macrumors 6502a

macenied

Funny posting. I bought my MacBook Pro in 2010 only because of it's Windows compatibility and it's quality. Maybe because of it's look/design too. I have never really been interested in OSX rather than to have a portable Unix in case I need it and some curiosity. If Apple hardware will not support Windows in the future then I wish them good luck. As for Europe, OSX is basicly not existing in enterprise environments and companies / businesses might know why. Non confidential data sharing between business and private life is very common for working people. I know this is an Apple forum but I did not know that it is a home user forum for OSX freaks. Wake up. Greetings to Portugal !

16. pedro_martins, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

Why are you being rude and insulting people? You gain nothing from it, it's not worthy.

If you bought the Macbook for its quality and to run Windows, good for you. I hope it has been working well. However, most people here actually informed themselves before paying so much money for a work machine. They know that things like the trackpad are only superior if you use OS X. They know Hidpi displays work better in OS X, because the OS takes advantage of it, rather than becoming a hindrance. They also prefer the way OS X render fonts. The tools to make OS X- specific apps.

Yes, for NOW OS X is basically non-existing in enterprise, but things are clearly changing. Macs are invading universities, conferences, transitioning to personal computers to doctors, lawyers, programmers, bloggers, video pros, photography, journalists all around the world, scientists, even engineers.Why?

People that work on their personal computer during the day are willing to pay hard earned money for their computer. Most of those people are using Macs and buying Macs for their kids in college. Why?
    In any of those cases, it's not because of Windows.

Unfortunately only gamers are IT guys are being left behind. In the case of IT guys, it's because all of their formation is windows only and that's the only thing they know.

Anyway, I think that you didn't inform yourself properly, you have not enough knowledge and If I was you, I would sell my mac and buy a Windows machine, with drivers written specifically for it, guarantee and Windows support. However, in the windows world, most OEMs still don't have all the drivers ready as well.

I have no right no judge, but I don't think that people that only buy Macs for looks are helping themselves or even Apple on the long run.

And Apple obviously won't be in a hurry, there are more important things to focus on. Like others said, if you want Apple-specific support, be ready to wait at least 6 months. It is how it is. Meanwhile, if you need help for something with OS X on the mac, we (me, at least) are ready to help.

17. Blackstick macrumors 6502

Blackstick

I work for a ~3000 person medium-sized enterprise and we have about 600 Mac users, this number grows all the time. Of the 25 techs in the IT support department, 4 of us are Mac-centric and make it our focus.

Day to day, it's Windows never-ending hunger for maintenance that keeps my paycheck. Mac users require soooooo little help it's dumbfounding. Some of the MacBook endpoints are 5+ years old and going strong. Between blue screens (rot in hell kb971033), driver issues, noisy/slow systems, unreliable software, slow logins, damaged encryption partitions and the like, a lot of our PC users switch over to Macs when their manager/workload/application needs allows it.

For now, Microsoft has locked a few into their admittedly more fully-featured Outlook 2013, and exclusives such as Project/Visio, certainly accounting/finance is Windows heavy... but just about weekly we'll have someone trade in their Dell Latitude in for a Pro or Air, most don't go back to Windows. We've got a good chunk of old-school IT managers seemingly allergic to OSX, but some are coming around... Nothing is "charming" about a user needing support every other day on their Windows box, on the Mac-side it doesn't happen.

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The amount of employees running Windows software in virtual machines is growing too and is far easier to support.

19. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I didn't even know that current Bootcamp drivers had trouble with Windows 10.

20. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

They don't really. I'm using the Windows 8 drivers and they work fine.

21. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

They don't. I've been running Windows 10 since its release on my iMac and all I had to do was run the Setup.exe from the Bootcamp assistant again after installing, everything it working just normal :)

22. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

23. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

I was concerned about the fact there have been no new boot camp drivers and software released for Windows 10. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 yesterday and everything works fine. Once I reinstalled the boot camp drivers for Windows 7/8 all was well. I haven't had any issues so far.

24. doynton macrumors 6502

The AppleHFS.sys driver (all versions) is incompatible with Windows 10. Unless you disable it you can't make a backup. System images, restore points, Macrium and anything that relies on VSS all fail. Of course if you diable it you then can't see your HFS+ partition. The Paragon HFS driver works but you have to pay for it. That is a fairly big issue for bootcamp users like me.

25. pedro_martins macrumors member

pedro_martins

But Win10 isn't supported yet, so it is YOUR problem and 100% YOUR responsibility.