iPad Pro Anyone regret buying the iPad Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdridwan47, Nov 17, 2015.

1. mdridwan47 macrumors 6502

mdridwan47

I feel like even though it has some benefits with it's bigger screen size that is also iPad Pro's achilles heel. It's just too big and too heavy for gaming, reading books in bed. And not very portable either, which defeats the purpose of the iPad. I think iPad Air 3 will be very attractive if it supports the Pencil.
    What do you think?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

i'm loving mine. really am, but i do see your point about the size. the super screen is so awesome, but yes, living with it for a week or so has pointed out how impracticable it is for daily living.

personally it's stuck on my office desk 99.9% of the waking day, so im not bothered, but i can see the issues certainly :)

one of those things you really need to live with for a bit until you get a good feel for it i think.

3. CC117 macrumors 6502

CC117

I was in the fence when I first got it because it seemed comically large but I've just taken my first trip on a plane with it and I have to say, the bigger screen is an absolute delight to watch movies/tv shows on. I'll be keeping it :)

4. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I think you just have early adopter buyer remorse. I get the same way when new things are a little different than expected.

So, with iPad Pro, it's basically the same weight as the first iPad, but, thinner and larger. Based on that first iPad (which I still have!) you learn to use it. Don't think it's appropriate to hang that thing out in the air. It's more comfortable to cozy up with than a laptop, but, it's not a pamphlet like the iPad Mini. You're going to want to prop it up on things, stick the corner into your lap, cradle it, tilt in your hand while resting it on a desk. Whatever works. Getting accustom to the size/weight and how best to physically hold it takes some time.

Usage is going to change a bit too. Reading? Honestly, if you're talking novels, the phone is so so so much better for this anyway. Newsprint column width text display by default and single hand use? It's perfect for reading. But if reading on iPad Pro is your plan, it's going to be a matter of learning the best way to hold and use the thing. If you're into iBooks, I recommend you use it in landscape 2 page mode with a relatively large font to keep from having way way too much text on screen at once. That will also make it much easier to use in bed because you won't have to hang it perilously near your face.

At the end of the day, though, the larger screen is the entire point. If it's not a benefit to you, then, maybe you chose the wrong device. If you're into drawing? You'll regret moving back down to the smaller iPad, you just need to realize the ideal way to use this larger iPad is different than smaller touchscreen devices. Work smart, not hard.

5. AttilaTheHun macrumors 6502a

AttilaTheHun

Yes iPad pro in the size of 9.7" with pencil and much cheeper will be 100% better every student will buy,
    here is a way I like to use it : in the class room use the camera to copy the black board so I can lessen to the professor
    instead of righting, and the pencil is good for math and other classes, I for sure will buy it

6. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

i used the ipad pro for a week mostly propped up with a BT keyboard. i used it one night in bed to watch some netflix/hulu...i didn't care much for the size of this thing.

but today, i picked up the logitech keyboard case for it and it really does make it a much better device. it feels like a laptop, albeit with touch ID, some better iOS apps than desktop counterparts, and some other niceties. while the logitech keyboard is very nice to type on and smart connector is solid, the whole thing is just too big for me. it's the size/weight of a 13" rMBP...which is what i'm thinking of picking up instead. i have until january 8 to return the thing, so i guess i'll be playing with it for another 2 months before making up my mind...

7. Kal-037 macrumors 6502a

Kal-037

Depends on the day, but usually I live all over.
    Yes and no... Yes on the harder portability, price, and lack of the bloody pencil... But no as the screen size is great for sketching, writing, media consumption. I dunno I need a bit longer with it. I think I have until Jan to decide, I may need that long for the pencil to arrive so I can really judge this thing. lol

8. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I regret it... Because I can now never go back. It was the same with the iphone 6+ size.

9. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

How can you regret buying something that you can still return for a full refund?

It is big, but it's only awkward if you have to hold it while using it. Sitting in an easy chair with the iPP on my lap, it's comfortable, and the bigger sharper screen is amazing. No regrets here. I'll be keeping it unless some as-yet-unknown issue develops.

10. Nee412 macrumors 6502

I was considering the iPad Pro as my ageing iPad Mini is almost unbearable to use for most internet based tasks.

I've brought my Macbook now though, and this is more than powerful enough for my current computing needs. The iPad Pro would be too similar in screen size and capability for me to warrant having both.

The iPad Air 3 (or whatever it may be called) will most likely be my next iPad. Unless I change my mind. Again. Hopefully it will have Apple Pencil support.

11. dvdlovr24 macrumors 6502

Not at all. My only regret is not ordering the pencil first thing Wednesday morning.

12. Mystro macrumors 6502

Mystro

Loving my iPad Pro 128gb Gold. Better than I thought it would be.

As you can see I really like my Air 2's but the Pro is on another level.
    [​IMG]

13. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

Seems a common enough sentiment that the size is a bit cumbersome, even though in the stores I didn't think so at all. I was planning to sell my Air once I get the Pro, but maybe it's a good idea to just keep it for those situations you want something smaller? I'll probably only get $300 for it anyway.

14. ragermac macrumors regular

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Honestly, the only thing I'm hesitant about now is what I'm going to do with my Air 2 now that I haven't picked it up since getting my iPP. I thought I would still use it as an ereader but honestly if I'm sitting down the iPP is fine for reading in landscape mode, and otherwise my 6S+ is big enough to read comfortably on.

First-world problems to the extreme. ;)

16. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

It was intended replace my iPad 4, however it is such a different experience it will be an additional device. Overrun for devices at the moment, rMBP, iPad Pro, iPad 4 - All with unique uses, just what Apple want I suppose.

17. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I used every iPad as a tablet which I hold most of the time and the Pro is too awkward and uncomfortable. The keyboard is an extra expense I rather not incur and it isn't the way I want to use the Pro to begin with. On my lap is not bad but still not as tolerable as I would like.

No remorse, I wanted to try it with no risk. I would more regret it if I did not try it.

18. mphtrilogy macrumors newbie

I love it, watching tv on this thing is fantastic.
    The speed is amazing
    The sound is great

Just waiting on my cover...

Worst part is the price, but it was a 50th birthday gift, so it's a wonderful treat

19. TJone macrumors 6502a

Some people will love it and some won't. I regretted buying it quickly but its easily solved since Apple has a great return policy. I feel like Apple cut corners but not updating the OS to support more home screen icons, a poor launch with accessories unavailable on launch day, overpricing it and not bundling it with the Pencil being its key accessory. And they should have included 3D touch at this price instead of saving that for the next version. For Tim Cook to suggest the iPad Pro as laptop replacement for most people is delusional. Most people will want to use Excel or Powerpoint and good luck working with a big spreadsheet or big presentation file on iOS. I would be surprised if this is enough to revive iPad sales. I think Apple has still not extended the use of an iPad beyond consumption for most people. The exception is graphic designers who I think this can be a laptop replacement. But not all people who want a tablet are graphic designers. I do love the large screen and great speakers for watching movies. But I can't justify the price for the limitations of the Pro. But some people will feel the opposite since we all need different capabilities in our professions.

20. retrospek macrumors 6502a

retrospek

I'm really not sure yet what I think. I've just ordered a Surface 4 (should arrive tomorrow) as I want to try both and see how it goes for a week.

21. The Other One macrumors newbie

When I first used the iPad Pro, I was slightly taken aback by how big it was. I knew it would be bigger, but seeing photos (even side-by-side shots with smaller iPads) didn't drive home just how much bigger it is. It felt... odd. But after a few days, that went away and it seemed normal.

NOW, when I pick up the iPad Air or Mini... they're just laughable. The same thing happened after I got my 6 Plus last year. Jarringly large for a few days, then normal. Then you wonder how you ever got by with the miniscule displays you had before.

22. TurboPGT! macrumors 68000

I once thought at 27" iMac would be too big for me. Now I could never go back to a 21"

23. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Loving mine, but can see how the size wouldn't fit some people's uses. No need for regret, just return it and move on if it doesn't work for you.

24. H8ter2 macrumors newbie

H8ter2

I am liking it right now as I enter day 2 of using my new iPP, I really don't see the size as a problem, I always wished my air 2 was slightly bigger to hit that magic size point imo. Every time I use it for something different I find a new optimal way to use it that offsets the much pointed out size issue by others. I think as most get more time with it they will see that the size is really not the issue, just that it's a learning curve. Just waiting on my pencil now to maximize its potential.

25. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I'm afraid this happened to me as well. I think i'll give my iPad Air 2 to my friend.