Anyone running recent High Sierra on a early 2015 gold 12" macbook ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mia-rafael, Feb 20, 2018.

1. mia-rafael macrumors member

mia-rafael

I need to know if its a good idea to upgrade from el captain cause i just got a older macbook early 2015 for less then 800€ in france.

cheers!

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

My 2015 MacBook isn't gold, but the colors don't impact performance, so I'll give an answer anyway: I didn't notice any performance degradation when I upgraded the operating system. In theory, High Sierra is supposed to give a performance boost on the storage end (thanks to APFS versus the old HFS+ file system), but I don't recall noticing any major boost, either.

Enjoy your MacBook!

3. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

haha

well the early 2015 first generation gold-grey-silver macbooks have issues over heating as you may of already known that there is no ventilation, running photo-shop or video apps like FCP is tricky, I have seen photos online with with macbook screens peeling off from the heat so i figure to ask about it running osx HS since it has a reputation with certain apps like firefox having memory leeks.

4. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

None of the Macbooks (2015-16-17) have any ventilation

5. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

what about 2018?

6. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Nobody knows about 2018, but it would be unexpected if they added in a fan. These systems are designed to be incredibly thin and light, and a fan would interfere with that. The processors that go into the systems don't put out much heat (but they're relatively weak, as the trade-off); as such, they can get away with using the chassis as a giant heat sink, and do just fine. But if you're trying to do some hardcore, processor-intensive tasks for long periods of time, a MacBook Pro would probably be a better option.

7. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Have not noticed a difference on my 2015 base rMB 12 since installing High Sierra. I put it off for a long time because of all the horror stories, but I've since upgraded on all three of my Macs and have had no issues.

8. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

figured that already, just double checking

i got it on the macbook, so far firefox has (the old version running an add-on scrapbook) is showing memory leaking., i have to force quite and restart it otherwise it reaches 6GB of ram and i get a beach ball between anything i type...other then that...all seems fine,

im running the latest photos shop, FCP and other stuff too.
    thanks, finally someone with a real answer.

i got it on the macbook, so far firefox has (the old version running an add-on scrapbook) is showing memory leaking., i have to force quite and restart it otherwise it reaches 6GB of ram and i get a beach ball between anything i type...other then that...all seems fine,

im running the latest photos shop, FCP and other stuff too.

9. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I hope your add on updates because the new Firefox updates are amazing performance and stability wise

10. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

yeah i know

scrapbook is not compatible with the new firefox ; (

and i have build a 15GB library of web files in scrapbook

11. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Wait can’t you manually go download the new Firefox file then use it for browsing but keeping your old install for the scrapbook

12. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

The old one would not wok the last time i tried the update

i had to find an older version again to continue suing scrapbook.

13. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Yes but I think you should be able to install the new version separate from your legacy install. Your computer would have two fire foxes. I’d double check but you should be able to simply download the new Firefox install file and it should leave your other one alone unless I’m totally wrong which is certainly possible but I know people that run multiple versions of the same browser for web development so I think I’m onto something...

14. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

let me try later

great idea for sure ; )

15. krabdb macrumors newbie

krabdb

I have a gold base model 2015 (1.1/8/256). I bought it immediately when it was released in 2015 with Yosemite. The most noticeable improvement was the transition to El Capitan. After that, neither Sierra nor High Sierra did not bring any improvement or degradation of performance. He works quite well on High Sierra. Not a standard of speed, but they never were.

What really surprises me is that someone uses Chrome or Firefox when there is a gorgeous Safari.

16. mia-rafael, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

safari proven to be the WORSE browser in history, so slow and invasive..no scrapbook or addon option like it., only APPLE decides how it works, looks and behaves like their iphone batteries.

17. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Please show me your source that safari is proven the worst browser in history.

18. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

19. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

Honey you need to a little better then that, both those links for a singular person simply complaining with no evidence or attempt to solve the issue. Here is what I found
    https://www.macworld.com/article/32...1-is-the-fastest-web-browser-for-the-mac.html
    https://www.cultofmac.com/492562/dont-ditch-safari-if-you-want-the-fastest-browsing-exprience/

P.S On my PC I swear by Firefox, but iOS and MacOS Safari is simply a clear cut above the rest for a secure, minimal, fast browsing experience.

20. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Prv
    You're a bit delusional. Every speed test comparison between browsers on Mac I've dug up reveal Safari as faster. Sure, Firefox is great and I have it as well for some extensions, but they lost me when the organization went a bit bonkers during the CEO scandal or whatever it was,...that occurred around the time they decided to up the release version to infinity, so we now have Firefox 54 or whatever. I took both as signs Mozilla lost it's damn head.

Safari is the clearcut winner on Mac. Will a few fringe tests reveal Firefox as faster? Sure, maybe, but the overwhelming consensus is Safari is king.

21. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

We all know how apple is in the proprietary market with nothing new, or they would not have to SLOW down older products or the products of competitors to promote newer ones.

22. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

AppleInsider, unbiased also mentioning Safari's power consumption (November 15, 2017)

"Safari did even better, with CPU usage ranging from 5 percent to 10 percent, with playback and switching between videos very smooth.
    After running all of these tests, we are extremely impressed with Firefox Quantum. While it may not be that fastest browser, it definitely uses the least amount of processing power and RAM.

Safari can be quite power hungry, is extremely quick in every situation. And, we can definitely say that Chrome is the least reliable browser."

iMore, mentioning Firefox's advantage of WebXRT (July 14, 2017)
    "In eight benchmarks, Safari 11 handily outperformed the other browsers seven times. Firefox won out in the WebXPRT test, which is used to test HTML5 performance, though Safari still came in a close second."

MacWorld, where Safari won 8/9 tests, losing only the WebXRT test (July 13, 2017)
    Also featuring graphs and links to the speed test software for you to test themselves.

That's just page 1 of my searching...

23. mia-rafael thread starter macrumors member

mia-rafael

try the tests during 2018 https://macpaw.com/how-to/fix-slow-safari allot more up to date and blatantly honest !

24. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

That's quite irrelevant, but okay. They don't intentionally slow down older products except for well-explained reasons. Hell they have a whole website and feature on iOS 11.3.3 focusing on that. If someone honestly doesn't understand enough science to comprehend battery capacity and performance, that's on them. Old batteries suck. Replace your batteries. Simple as that.

As for competitors, it's true they blocked access, and might still, on iOS to something that made Safari go faster. WebKit or something, not entirely up on the terminology. But on Mac, no. That's on Mozilla and Google for coding slow products.

25. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

That’s a support article to a scareware program telling you to do things that are basic trouble shooting in the RARE event you encounter issues. I could go find an identical article for Chrome and Firefox.