Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
How does it go?

Were there any installation problems?

I'm looking forward to running W7 when the public beta comes out on Friday.

frimple

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Denver, CO
How does it go?

Were there any installation problems?

I'm looking forward to running W7 when the public beta comes out on Friday.

TPB has the developers beta available now if you can't wait. I'm trying to download from MSDN now but it's insanely slow today.

fluidedge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I'm happy to wait another few hours and get it straight from MS - I wouldn't ever download something as critical as an OS from TPB

frimple

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2008
Denver, CO
I agree, not as good as Windows XP 64bit but still much better than vista. I heard anyone who bought Vista after May 2006 is going to get Windows 7 Free?

May be, I suspect Windows 7 is actually the same thing as the Beta Service Pack 2 for Vista that's available for developers. I mean, everyone knows that windows 7 is Vista right?

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Wow, The reason I went to a Mac was to ditch MS OS, Its buggy, its slow, and down right 10 years behind the times!

My friend installed IE 8 on his box and the webpages went nuts. Flashing, closing down all kinds of wierd stuff.

I just can't wait till developers will make all apps for Mac's.;) and put MS in the history books.:D

KelchM

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2007
Wow, The reason I went to a Mac was to ditch MS OS, Its buggy, its slow, and down right 10 years behind the times!

My friend installed IE 8 on his box and the webpages went nuts. Flashing, closing down all kinds of wierd stuff.

I just can't wait till developers will make all apps for Mac's.;) and put MS in the history books.:D

wow.

I'm happy to wait another few hours and get it straight from MS - I wouldn't ever download something as critical as an OS from TPB
All you need to do is cross-check the checksums.

DavyC412

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
ive heard nothing but good things from ppl who have tried windows 7. i tried vista back in the day when it came out and switched back to XP soon after. aside from the compatability issues, something just didnt feel right about it. hopefully 7 is the real deal and not another major foul-up from microsoft.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I ditched the 32-bit torrented version from 2 weeks ago or so and finished downloading the 64 bit about an hour ago. Woo!

Tom Sawyer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
Looks like MS servers have been slammed and they removed it for now. Can't find anywhere else to pull it down from. I am curious to give it a test drive.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I don't really see how you can prove or justify the statement that they are 10 years behind the times. All it is is an empty statement.

IE8 is a beta that is to be expected. That's the purpose of betas. Did your friend report it to Microsoft? If not then he didn't do his part as a software beta tester.

Disclaimer: I am in no way supporting Microsoft, just making points.

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I don't really see how you can prove or justify the statement that they are 10 years behind the times. All it is is an empty statement.

IE8 is a beta that is to be expected. That's the purpose of betas. Did your friend report it to Microsoft? If not then he didn't do his part as a software beta tester.

Disclaimer: I am in no way supporting Microsoft, just making points.

Last I heard he was not getting paid to fix MS problems. Thats why they hire 200 people from India for! Cheap labor and a buggy OS:rolleyes:

timb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2003
Trying to install the 64-bit beta, first generation Mac Pro... Seeing a weird issue.

When I boot from the CD to install, I get the following screen:

Code:
Select CD to Install

Keyboard input doesn't appear to work. Anyone else getting this or have any ideas?

kyo1980

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2009
Trying to install the 64-bit beta, first generation Mac Pro... Seeing a weird issue.

When I boot from the CD to install, I get the following screen:

Code:
Select CD to Install

Keyboard input doesn't appear to work. Anyone else getting this or have any ideas?

Hi, i've got same issues, with same mac pro.. i've read something about solving this problem, but the procedure requires a working Windows installation http://www.jowie.com/blog/post/2008...t-from-Vista-x64-DVD-burnt-from-iso-file.aspx

Is there any other way to fix the iso using OsX ?

thanx in advice

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
I don't guess you know what the purpose of a public beta is then.

To expand on that, public betas are the best way to find and resolve problems. 200 people paid my Microsoft will simply not find as many problems as the much more numerous public. In addition, public betas expose the software much more because of the infinitely varied uses that such software has.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Not going to happen, as Apple doesn't want to take on the development issues associated with making their OS compatible on most any machine on the planet.

If they did, people would end up making the same complaints as they do with MS's OS's. :eek: ;)
To expand on that, public betas are the best way to find and resolve problems. 200 people paid my Microsoft will simply not find as many problems as the much more numerous public. In addition, public betas expose the software much more because of the infinitely varied uses that such software has.

I'm not aware of a better, or faster solution to help ID issues than release it into the wild. ;)

wizzracer

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
Dallas, Texas
I don't guess you know what the purpose of a public beta is then.

I'm sure what there for! You find, fix, and report system OS and hardware problems, On your time and dime. My time is better spent doing things that people will enjoy. I did get paid for this when I worked at the Las Colinas location for MS.

Make a list of things that can't be done on OSX. It will be a very short list.:D

Until MS does something with it's Kernel, Your beating a dead horse. In the end the results are the same. You release it with all the "known" issues for the public to worry about:rolleyes:

That MS Beta tester will look good on your resume in the coming Mac World!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.