iPhone XS Max Anyone starting to feel the pain??

LS3 POWER

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
As a iPhone owner/user, are any of you starting to feel the pain from sticking with Apple and watching especially this year so far, many innovative things coming to other phones and we are still using devices from a company who seems to have decided to stop innovating, and just release the same things year after year but make us pay more for it?

Dont get me wrong, I love Apple. I have the XS Max, Apple Watch Series 4, New iPad Pro, Airpods, Macbook Pro and 2 Apple TV boxes.

At what point do we as Apple Consumers stop allowing Apple Eco System which is what they depend on to keep us buying the devices that are falling more and more behind?

Just something I was thinking about today.

Seeing the new phones over the past few weeks and months that have been coming out, I feel we are getting kicked to the curb by Apple and EVEN IF the last 2 weeks of releases have kicked Apple in the a$$ to wake up, it will be at least 2 years before we see anything new and even then, it will be 2 years still behind Samsung and others.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
After seeing the S10...yes, a bit.

Would I buy one? No. But I'm still sick of seeing Apple do more of the same over and over (same old rounded iPhone 6 sides on the "all new design language for the next decade"), and kicking up the prices FAR beyond inflation or any reasonable increase; spare me the "new technology is expensive" arguments because the iPhone 4 was an absolutely colossal revolution over the 3GS and it cost the same.

Right now Apple doesn't build my ideal phone, which is a flagship phone in the Xr size with a high PPI screen. All these phones in the lineup and they don't have a high pixel density mid-sized phone.

EDIT: Being forced to use an Intel modem isn't helping the situation any.

Last edited:

LS3 POWER

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Yeah the S10 and S10 Plus to me made me really take a hard look at what we pay for. The S10 Plus I believe still comes in under the XS Max and will have new technology. I do like the under screen finger print scanner, I think I would like that a lot more than Face ID. I have times where Face ID does not always work, and of course you cant use it flat.

Reactions: Glideslope

Complex757

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2016
I'm too in to the Apple eco system to leave it now.

There's things I like about the Galaxy, but it's about convenience for me and when I had a Note everything wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.

Reactions: dotzero123

BigMcGuire

Contributor
Jan 10, 2012
California
As a iPhone owner/user, are any of you starting to feel the pain from sticking with Apple and watching especially this year so far, many innovative things coming to other phones and we are still using devices from a company who seems to have decided to stop innovating, and just release the same things year after year but make us pay more for it?

Dont get me wrong, I love Apple. I have the XS Max, Apple Watch Series 4, New iPad Pro, Airpods, Macbook Pro and 2 Apple TV boxes.

At what point do we as Apple Consumers stop allowing Apple Eco System which is what they depend on to keep us buying the devices that are falling more and more behind?

Seeing the new phones over the past few weeks and months that have been coming out, I feel we are getting kicked to the curb by Apple and EVEN IF the last 2 weeks of releases have kicked Apple in the a$$ to wake up, it will be at least 2 years before we see anything new and even then, it will be 2 years still behind Samsung and others.
No, I don't feel this way. I'm very happy with my Xs Max, my wife is too. I don't think Apple has decided to stop innovating, I do hear that from a lot of "unhappy" people here. Definitely recommend trying an Android phone if you haven't. I started out with Android back in the day and make it a point to borrow/use an Android device for some time every year or two just to see what I'm missing on the other side. I do not think Apple is just releasing the same thing year after year, and I'm coming from the 8+ to the Xs MAX.

I love Apple too. I have AW3, 2017 MBP, Apple TV, iPad, etc... My wife same.

Having used a Note 7, S9, Galaxy tablets and Pixel phones... I do not believe that Apple is falling more and more behind. I've used those phones and have decided that the Xs Max is what I want, and I'm very happy with it.

Seeing these new phones makes me happy. More competition is good for us consumers. If you're unhappy, I highly recommend you get a Samsung phone - serious, you may find you like it and head over. No one should ever stick with a company just because of the company. Use both, find what you like and have at it.

My entire family is iPhone, except for my sister who went and got an S9 this last year. I'm happy she did and I helped show her a lot of the new features on her phone that she didn't know about - including specs, so she could defend herself against other Apple fans that were razzing her about her purchase. :p

LS3 POWER

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I'm too in to the Apple eco system to leave it now.

There's things I like about the Galaxy, but it's about convenience for me and when I had a Note everything wasn't as smooth as I would have liked.
Thats my problem, I am in way to deep, and thats what Apple counts on lol

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Very happy with Apple. Have no reason or want to leave. I refuse to chase the latest technology!

I do not keep up with what Samsung is doing as it uses Android which is a non-starter for me. I avoid google when ever I can.

I did replace my 2018 MBPro with a Thinkpad Workstation as it is just more easy to use AutoCad on a Windows machine. The MBPro was very nice but did not like some of my software.

Apple is doing just fine.

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As iPhone users we must be used to restricted innovation by now. Apple doesn’t go all out and releases a fraction of what rivals are doing. If they release 20% of what is on the S10 I think we’ll be conservatively happy.

I prefer iOS so therefore i’ll be sticking with the iPhone, but I wish you could get it on better handsets. Samsung are undercutting Apple on price too and that’s a big reason upgrades are shrinking year on year. Hopefully Apple have listened for this years launch.

NikkoTuason

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2018
Oh man yes! I played with the Galaxy 10+ today and that screen... I felt very outdated when I had to go back to my XS Max.
One thing I can’t get past is how the Galaxy 10+ physically feels less premium than my Xs Max, maybe it’s due to Samsung using aluminum and Apple stainless steel?

sracer

macrumors G3
Apr 9, 2010
Prescott Valley, AZ

Innovation is a subjective thing. You seem to imply that Apple is just now not innovating, but there are others who have thought they haven't been innovative for years. There are others who are ready cash-in-hand to buy the next wave of Apple products because they think Apple is still producing leading-edge products.

Are you getting the expected value out of the products you bought? If so, what is the problem (looking over the fence at the greener grass)? Are you more concerned with leading edge design or with devices that serve your needs (or maybe leading edge design IS one of your needs)?

How exactly are Apple products "falling behind"?

As for me, I've already started my slow and methodical departure from Appleland. They're no longer producing products that I find value in (for the prices they're asking). My last Apple purchase was the 2018 iPad which is of great value, but in terms of smartphone, laptop, and audio, I've migrated to alternatives.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors 604
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Oh man yes! I played with the Galaxy 10+ today and that screen... I felt very outdated when I had to go back to my XS Max.
One thing I can’t get past is how the Galaxy 10+ physically feels less premium than my Xs Max, maybe it’s due to Samsung using aluminum and Apple stainless steel?
I think it depends on an individuals perception of what they think is a premium material. Based on raw material price the difference between the two is minimal depending on how metal prices are fluctuating. Personally I’d go with aluminium any day given the choice as it’s a lighter material for a device carried in the pocket. The added glass has made these big handsets stupidly heavy I feel.

Reactions: LS3 POWER

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Be nice if Apple gave us 128GB base storage at $900 like the S10, but we will be lucky to get one of those two this year.

Reactions: PaladinGuy

Hieveryone

macrumors 601
Apr 11, 2014
USA

Yeah I feel the pain :(

Reactions: LS3 POWER

Motionblurrr

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
Without getting into a brand flame war, I've been keeping my eye on Samsung for the past 2 years and the thing that's happening is their marketing got much better than before--that's it. Tenfold when you include the YouTuber "reviewers" getting early access to say great things about the phones. Look at their "Unpacking" stream thing they did. Look at how all of the Youtubers uploaded videos of the Samsung S10+ hours before the actual Samsung reveal was happening. :p

Samsung for example, they've always been the half-baked technology all jammed in a flashy package, company. I used to work for an AT&T store (Cingular back then) back when I graduated high school. During the flip phone days, and we always called Samsung "Samesung" because of their blatant copying or "fixing" of a problem that didn't exist, all jammed into a flashy package with pseudo-high end materials lol. People ate it up. And still do!

People are human, and we humans enjoy flashy things and buy into marketing very easily. We're all very shallow and it's okay--it's human nature. Samsung has improved itself on it's marketing and the ability to target that inside people in a similar manner as Apple did with the iPhone.

The thing with Apple and the iPhone is that they have been flexing their phone OS since the beginning. The hardware needed to be radically different to support the OS at the time of the original iPhone. They just did it with better materials at the time (aluminum/glass while everyone was still on plastic). The hardware and software are perfectly mated together and are designed that way... but I do believe it started with software first, followed by hardware with Apple.

It's been like this for a while but after a few months everyone will forget about the S10 and realize it's flaws and the honeymoon phase will be over. In the same way as the XS Max though to a much lesser degree since the S10+ has the same geekbench scores as an A11 Bionic iPhone. :)

BasicGreatGuy

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I am still thrilled with my XS Max and my Apple smart battery case. I don't care what Samsung or Android does. I care what Apple does. I don't need Apple to the leader with cutting edge technology that has little use in the phone or OS. I don't need Apple to try and stay ahead of Samsung. I don't need Apple to release a product just for the sake of releasing it, when it still looks like it is in beta. What I do need, is for Apple to continue to do their best with the products they release, whether it is every year, or every other year etc. What I do need is for Apple to continue to give me good customer service. What I do need is for Apple to continue to refine the OS, so that it, along with the apps, continue to make my use of the products more productive and enjoyable as they have been over the years.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
No pain felt. All the S10 has is a new camera system, hole punch (yuck), ability to charge other devices by touch, and ultra sonic finger sensor that is inferior to Touch ID. I couldn't care less about any of this. I've used the S8 and S9, sold both after about 4 months of use once the new and shiny wore off and frustration with Samsung set in.

As a former OnePlus 6T owner, I feel the front-screen finger print sensor is a giant pain. Yes the S10 is ultra sonic and the 6T is optical. But you can't just take the phone out of your pocket and unlock it like you can with Touch ID or a Pixel 3 that have the physical sensor you can easily find every time. And quickly. You need to take time, every time, to look at the screen to make sure your finger is hitting the sensor. It may seem trivial but it was very noticeable for me and will still be a giant pain on the S10. The S10e will be quicker to unlock because it has the sensor on the side at least. I'll take the Pixel 3 implementation, Touch ID, and certainly Face ID any day of the week over these snazzy optical or ultra sonic sensors.

Post edited to take out a few sentences.

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I have to say no. I think the current line up has more then enough. The only thing I would like is an under screen Touch ID but that’s all really. I find the cameras to be pretty good this year. I really really really really don’t care about 5G. I much prefer to have a decent 3G and 4G signal that works reliably!
Apple still has one of the best innovations going still anyway, one that’s incredibly rare in the Android world! A simple PHYSICAL MUTE SWITCH!! Why oh why did practically everyone else ditch this??

As for foldable screens, really they need a few more years to mature yet to be decent designs that last. Like electric cars need a couple more years plus the infrastructure to support them.

Last edited:

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Haha what? In what way did your XS Max display feel outdated? When you break down both and compare them side by side I still give the edge to the Max. Pro’s and con’s to both I think.

stephenschimpf

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2018
San Pedro, CA
No. I used to use the **** that is Android, and having experienced iOS, I never want to switch back. My sister and niece got seduced by the latest and greatest Samsung phone and switched, and they had so many problems that within a week or two they begged their carrier to take the phones back and let them buy new iPhones. Yes, I've seen the news about the new Samsung phones, but really don't see anything that would tempt me to switch. Like all of my Apple products, my iPhones "just work," and that's what's most important to me.