Anyone think Ipad is going down?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by xelaetaks, Feb 16, 2011.

1. xelaetaks macrumors member

First off, I love my ipad don't get me wrong, i think the music apps and games are great on it, but I have a feeling the other tablets may prove to be a lot more functional in the long run if Apple doesn't step up their game.

The Ipad 2 from what we know seems to be a pretty small update. We all know about the flash drama, not the biggest deal but most definetely a limitation which to me seems pointless. Ipad also has other limitations as Apple doesn't give you the freedom to do whatever you want with it.

Maybe I am wrong but I'm starting to think the Ipad is going to be catering more towards the rich and consuming type crowd.... Again, I love the ipad, but I'm strongly considering moving onto another tablet once I see how the upcoming ones function, if any of them prove to have staying ground.

Maybe the Ipad will dominate but as of now even the Ipad 2 seems like it will have lesser specs than many of the new tablets coming out. But we will have to see how their apps and battery life is like.

Also Apple's new guidelines in the store, that companies have to split profits 30% seems like it will hurt the iPad and Apple in general also. Things like that with Apple make me think many people are going to start moving onto other companies.

2. iserian macrumors 6502

Yes - it went down this morning - luckily I was able to pick it back up but it was a close call. Er... Was I supposed to read your post?

3. faith4more macrumors regular

The problem is Apple business model is going to get in the way of content delivery. Eventually it may even limit our choices of Apps as your netflix and kindles get forced out. But that is probably okay with Apple since in some way these products compete with their own services. I am sure they would much rather customers pay for itunes movies and buy ibooks than get them other places.

Maybe this is a sinister plan by Apple to force those companies off their platform. Kindle can't compete with ibooks if forced to pay a 30% premium to Apple.

They will still sell a boatload of ipads. But for many like me I will go to Android or maybe even webos.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I can understand why you may be thinking like this, and with all the news we've been bombarded with since Christmas one could start to think this way.
    However, it's was way too early to call yet.
    Apple could release some hot products and superb prices yet, and they can always change their mind on anything at any time if they feel they are damaging their image too much.

Give it another 2 years and ask again ;)

5. xelaetaks, Feb 16, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

xelaetaks thread starter macrumors member

im just meaning to say, i think apple could be doing way better with the ipad. i think all their rules, guidelines, limitations and wtvr the f-k is only going to hurt it in the long run. :p

6. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

Where is it going? Is Apple going to stop making them? Yes, there may be other tablets and some may have better specs than the iPad, but I could care less. I just know I love my iPad and would never consider switching to another device.

7. Carouser macrumors 65816

The lack of Flash didn't stop Apple from selling millions of iPads. The number of people who would otherwise buy an iPad but will now buy an alternative tablet because of Flash is literally insignificant.

Your second sentence is true for everything there has ever been. Do you understand that? It applies to everything.

So no, iPad is not 'going down' in any meaningful sense.

8. fraggot macrumors 6502

I just don't see it happening, most of these other tablets all use Android and Andoid isn't THAT great. It can be very sluggish at times and people are just used to iOS versus other alternatives.

People thought the same thing when the iPhone came out and it got it's first competitors.

9. Railroadhat Pat macrumors newbie

I think it's a little early to start panicking. I'm sure Apple will change their policies if they think it's going to hurt their business. Okay, now start panicking. :)

10. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Also, in the grand scheme of things, the number of people who actually own an iPad is currently insignificant.

Whilst they do have a good strong lead, it's only a tiny fraction of consumers who own one, It's not in any way an insurmountable task for others to sell many many tablets of various price points to the mass of consumers.

On the topic of well loads bought the iPad, true, many did, but there was nothing to choose from, so it was iPad or nothing really.
    Who can say what people will pick when they have a selection of 2, 3 or more top quality tablet formats to select from.

Perhaps for some people, many people, tablets other than Apple may offer them what they want. Who knows yet.

11. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Really? Kindle and Netflix are being forced off the iPad? I have difficulty believing that. If you're talking about the Sony eReader app, Sony just needs to follow the rules set forth by Apple, it's really that simple.

12. Carouser macrumors 65816

This is completely wrong; when we are talking about the tablet market (we are) the number of iPads sold is statistically significant and this is obvious.

Actually, it was 'iPad or absolutely anything else you can buy with $499', really, and millions went with the iPad.

But yes, Piggie, it's quite possible that many things may happen and all kinds of stuff can change and not everything is known, and who knows what can happen, hey it's anybody's game etc. Thanks for the FUD.

13. seajay96 macrumors 6502

I think his point is valid. Companies like these will really need to decide if the market share provided by the iPad community is really worth the 30% cut that Apple is demanding...especially since the price offered on the iPad has to be the same or better than offered elsewhere. It's going to be a business decision made solely on bottom line numbers and new user predictions. With a growing market and legitimate competitors using Android, they may just decide to pull out of the iPad market. And, to be honest, just losing one of the big name apps like Kindle or Netflix would have a MAJOR impact on iPad sales.

14. faith4more macrumors regular

Look at the terms and ask yourself. How can for example Kindle sell a book for $9.99 and give Apple 30%. I would venture to say there would be nothing left for Amazon. The only option would be to up the price by say 30% on ios. But problem is Apple will not allow that unless Amazon also ups the price on its online site.

See the dilemma Amazon can't just say okay we will charge a premium price for to be bought through ios and we will charge less if people come and buy it on our site. Apple is cornering companies like Amazon. I think it could very well cause them to leave as it would ruin their pricing even outside of ios and make it impossible to compete inside ios with ibooks.

Apple is becoming sinister.

15. Dunmail macrumors regular

16. skottichan macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Let's not get melodramatic here, there's nothing sinister going on. Amazon is a seller, just like Apple is, they make quite a bit on every Kindle books sold as well. It's not like either Amazon or Apple is going to go bankrupt any time soon.

17. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

I've been waiting for the iPad 2 ever since the initial announcement. I took one look at the iPad and asked "why doesn't it have a camera for video conferencing?". I might not even use that feature, but it seemed like such an obvious omission that I've never been able to pull the trigger on the iPad

As far as specs in relation to competing devices go, I couldn't care less - it's all about usability and experience. However, if Amazon were to decide to pull the Kindle App because of Apple's policies, I'd be looking very seriously at other devices. Content is a huge part of the usability and experience I'm looking for in a tablet; if Apple drives content providers away, they lessen the experience.

Hopefully Apple will amend or 'clarify' their policy so that premium content providers stay on the platform. Otherwise, yes, I think the whole ecosystem is going down

18. Kadin macrumors 6502a

Kadin

I have to play the role of defending Apple here if for no reason other than to try and point out where they 'might' be coming from.

I know it's in Apple's interest to have an iDevice in as many hands as possible. They want to lure as many people to their hardware as they can because there are many avenues for them to get additional sales. I think the issue they have is that Amazon is basically paying nothing to them currently for Apple's huge market for which they can get book sales, etc. I could be wrong but beyond making the app, what cost does Amazon currently endure with regards to selling all these virtual items through Apple? None, right?

Simply put, Amazon has a HUGE market they can tap into and get sales without really putting out any large expense. I'm not saying I agree with the 30% added cost (should be lower) but I see where Apple is coming from.

Now flame away. :(

19. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

Sinister, greedy, does not much matter what you call it. It means most content providers like Kindle, Netflix, Zinio, Xfinity etc will have to charge everyone more or pull out of the iOS market if Apple sticks to their policy.

Just the fact Apple would try this has me looking at alternative tablets. If they impact my content pricing or availability adversely I'll be switching platforms and not coming back. Apple policy drove me from my iPhone to an Android phone and it's not been a bad experience. It won't bother me much to dump my iPad for something else either if need be.

Apple is free to make their choices and consumers are free to make theirs.

20. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's beyond belief to even comprehend that Amazon would consider putting the prices of items up to everyone, all the millions that don't own an Apple product, but perhaps have a Kindle or a PC.
    Because of Apple's greed and rules.

I think they are just doing typical bully boy tactics, trying to push people as far as they can and see what happens.

We need the other companies to all pull out, and let Apple rethink their policy.

Trust me on this. If all these Music, Book, Media companies pulled out of iOS Apple would back down in an instant. They are just seeing what they can get away with and how far they can push things. If no-one stands up to them, then it will be set in stone and unable to be changed in the future.

21. McGilli macrumors 6502

I think the iPad is going down....

In history as a major turning point for how people consume electronic media.

22. ParishM macrumors regular

ParishM

Apple has sold millions of iPads during the last year mainly because there is was no real competition. With all the new Android and WebOS based tablets coming out Apple had better pull a rabbit out of their collective ass or they will get left behind.

These new tablets may not appeal to the hardcore Apple FanBoys but they will to everyone else. The new Motorola Zoom blows the iPad away in features and functionality !!! I hate to say it but Apple
    is falling behind quickly. The same can be said for the iPhone, all the new 4" Android smart phones are getting nicer and nicer !

23. poloponies macrumors 68030

It's safe to say that Apple knows more about its business and future plans than you do at this moment. You know even less than you think you know because you're basing your suppositions on pretty unreliable rumors about a product that has yet to be released. But don't fret, there will likely be plenty of future opportunities for you to warn us about the sky falling.

24. csjcsj macrumors member

csjcsj

first - for those of us who do everything on a Mac (iCal, Addressbook, etc) the seamless synching will alway win me over. If I was a Windows person, I'd think hard about the other models.

I still think the Flash thing is funny. Apple was the company that championed proprietary software - now they're complaining about others having it? Flash may not be perfect, but it works & so many people use it. If Apple isn't careful, there'll be a replay of why DOS/Windows took over the world and left the Mac behind.

25. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

iPad 2 hasn't even been announced yet with its specs. How could anyone in their right mind think it's going down?!!

Not only that, but iOS 5 has to be released sometime this year too.

I seriously doubt Apple is just going to sit back and allow the competition to just have a field day.