Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ananna

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2003
Pacific Northwest
New Finder

I love it.

Still getting used to it, though. I expect that after a couple of months, nobody will even remember there was an old Finder.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I also liked the pinstripes. The new menu bar at the top looks kind of muddy, I dunno...

I hated 10.0, loved 10.1, then hated 10.2 and am loving 10.3 :D I say death to jaguar, my machines are all running nice and smoothly. :)

The new Finder is pretty cool I think, though as someone else said, it'll take some getting used to.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I hate it. The borders are way too big. I don't like the sidebar at all. The aquafy tab at the top right corner needs to remember my quick easy to get to text only folders.

LuckyJack

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2003
Utah
I'm still getting adjusted to it, but I love the speed of it. On my aging G3, every little big helps. I know I'll become fully adjusted soon, at which point I'll truly love it, and the speed gain along with my adapted productivity will just rock.

What I don't love (and I might be missing something) is that networked servers don't show up in the left panel thingie. I have to go thru "Network", which, when I had it hidden, made it impossible to find other machines once I closed the window.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I will give it a try for 2 weeks. If I hate it, then I'll revert back to 10.2.8

Expose, and some other features are cool - but not that cool. I will not support a clunky OS Finder.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
lots of new things to get used to but

in the longrun it looks like this is going to be the most user freindly finder ever, and with expose working with multiple apps is just GRRRRRREAT ... try this expose setting...
1.System Prefs
2. Expose
3. Now arrange the corners like this

try it! i dont kow how i lived without this;)

Attachments

• expose.jpg
    expose.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 777

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
Isn't it odd how the Expose preference screenshot is of the old Jaguar "Aqua" background and not of the Panther?

good observation.
i personally liked the jaguar background better, but that's just me.

reality

foniks2020

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2002
Re: anyone think that the new finder sucks?

Originally posted by andyjamesnelson
sorry is it me or does the new finder window suck? the way it looks is stupid and over sized.. and wtf.. why cannot you scroll through all the sections with the cursor keys? i mean you cannot scroll to another disk partion.. really annoying, bassically i fail to see why this is a better design interface for the finder window.. what do you think?

One more thing:

Check the Go menu. There is a shortcut for going up one level.. cmd (arrow up).

I think you'll find this even faster than just the cursors.

Also cmd-shift C will take you to the very top (Computer in Apple speak).

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Re: Re: anyone think that the new finder sucks?

Originally posted by foniks2020
One more thing:

Check the Go menu. There is a shortcut for going up one level.. cmd (arrow up).

I think you'll find this even faster than just the cursors.

Also cmd-shift C will take you to the very top (Computer in Apple speak).

I think the original poster meant that you can't navigate in the sidebar without the use of the mouse. There is no keyboard shortcut that allows you to put focus on the sidebar.

For instance, you can use keyboard preferences to allow any program to put the focus on the toolbar. Then, with the toolbar selected, you can use the tab key or the arrow keys to focus on items in the toolbar and hit enter to select the item currently focused on. And all of this can be acheived via keyboard shortcuts and keystrokes without the use of the mouse.

There is no way (that I know of) to focus on the sidebar, focus on an item in the sidebar and then select that item using only the keyboard. That kinda sucks. This would be handy in a case where you had added a few common locations to the sidebar and you wanted to select those locations quickly via the keyboard.

But, then again, its only a small complaint. As others have pointed out, you can use the Computer level to the same effect. And I'm a fan of the rest of the Finder, so I'm willing to suffer through a few small inconveniences.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Originally posted by 5300cs
I hated 10.0, loved 10.1, then hated 10.2 and am loving 10.3 :D I say death to jaguar, my machines are all running nice and smoothly. :)

It's like a reverse Star Trek movie thing going on, you hate all the even-numbered ones! I guess you should wait until 10.5 to buy your next upgrade then :)

Originally posted by Taft
I think the original poster meant that you can't navigate in the sidebar without the use of the mouse. There is no keyboard shortcut that allows you to put focus on the sidebar.

For instance, you can use keyboard preferences to allow any program to put the focus on the toolbar. Then, with the toolbar selected, you can use the tab key or the arrow keys to focus on items in the toolbar and hit enter to select the item currently focused on. And all of this can be acheived via keyboard shortcuts and keystrokes without the use of the mouse.

There is no way (that I know of) to focus on the sidebar, focus on an item in the sidebar and then select that item using only the keyboard. That kinda sucks. This would be handy in a case where you had added a few common locations to the sidebar and you wanted to select those locations quickly via the keyboard.

But, then again, its only a small complaint. As others have pointed out, you can use the Computer level to the same effect. And I'm a fan of the rest of the Finder, so I'm willing to suffer through a few small inconveniences.

Yeah, I couldn't do that. The "tab" key would be the obvious choice for this. This would be a minor thing for Apple to fix if someone submitted a suggestion about it.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
New Finder Updates Quickly now?

Does the new Finder update more quickly now? I mean if I thow something away from a folder, the Folder that was open sometimes wouldn't update the change of free space unless I closed the window and re-opened it again.

Also sometimes it wouldn't show the file was gone from the window until I closed and re-opened the folder.

Just wondering.

-Hugh

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Now when I transfer files or move them to the trash, it takes like 3 seconds to see the change. This is total BS. I'll fix the finder tonight by going back to OS X 10.2.8. I'll also send my Panther CD(s) back to Apple, along with a letter that simply reads: No thank you!

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Also, did you repair permissions afterwards? At first, everything seemed to lag and hang after I started playing around in the Finder after I installed it, but when I checked permissions, there was a *huge* list of incorrect permissions that I had to repair. After doing that and then restarting, the difference was like night and day. It's as if I upgraded my PowerBook from 1.25 GHz to 1.6 GHZ or something drastic.

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Did you do a clean install or an upgrade? Also, did you repair permissions afterwards? At first, everything seemed to lag and hang after I started playing around in the Finder after I installed it, but when I checked permissions, there was a *huge* list of incorrect permissions that I had to repair. After doing that and then restarting, the difference was like night and day. It's as if I upgraded my PowerBook from 1.25 GHz to 1.6 GHZ or something drastic.

Thank for the info. I only did an upgrade. However, repairing permissions is something I do before and after. Nothing changed. I have a 1.25 dp G4 with 768 MB of ram. If I got to set this thing up one more time over a clean install then I'll do it with what works. 10.2.8 works.

Thanks.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
nostalgia

Yes, death to pinstripes!

well the pinstripes are still kinda there - if you select a window in the foreground, you can see them in a background window (mail, a window w/out the toolbar) where they weren't before... well... maybe. can you guys see them? maybe my eyes are playing tricks. they are still on the menu bar as well. can you imagine a brushed metal menu bar?

i always thought it was just nostalgic for apple to keep some of the pinstripes in. kindof a design theme. a hidden one at that. they've always squeezed them in there. remember when they were in the dock? oh, i miss those days...

ahem. what i think is kindof a pain is that the little action button on the finder window - you can navigate to a finder window in icon view and your items are scattered all over the place! it would be logical to put the menu bars - Views/Clean up or /Arrange in there. maybe in an update they will. its quite cumbersome to go into the view options just to clean up your icons.

oh, and the size of column view in a new window? why are they so narrow? wtf indeed! i assume by default it only allows up to 15 characters for the folder names. so you have to spread it out so you can read your files. and then when you select another folder, you have to spread it out again! egad! :eek:

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Yes, you can still see slight pinstripes, which I think are just fine. But I remember 10.0...my god, that was just a nightmare of pinstripes wherever you looked. I love this new look. The toned down Aqua/Pinstripe theme with lots of sexy brushed metal just looks so good and sharp, especially on the aluminum PowerBook (and I bet on Titanium PowerBooks and G5s, too). As far as the action menu, I do wish they'd include the arrange as/clean up options in there as well. That would be pretty awesome, since I am always anal about keeping things arranged perfectly in line and in order.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
Yes, you can still see slight pinstripes, which I think are just fine. But I remember 10.0...my god, that was just a nightmare of pinstripes wherever you looked. I love this new look. The toned down Aqua/Pinstripe theme with lots of sexy brushed metal just looks so good and sharp, especially on the aluminum PowerBook (and I bet on Titanium PowerBooks and G5s, too). As far as the action menu, I do wish they'd include the arrange as/clean up options in there as well. That would be pretty awesome, since I am always anal about keeping things arranged perfectly in line and in order.

Well, you can just set that once, globally, in Finder Preferences. The Action Menu is just a more convenient version of the right-click, which is pretty important with a one-button mouse.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I noticed that globally the changed occur in Panther. When I tried that in Jaguar, for some reason, it never would accept the arrange by name option the next time I went into Finder for whatever reason. Right now I am pretty happy with it, I think Apple did a lot of bug/efficiency fixes with the Finder for Panther. Also, the open/save boxes are killer now, along with much faster animations. Overall, I love what Apple has done with Panther. I definitely can get used to this and can't wait to see what 150 new features/tweaks they come out with for 10.4.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
certain package updates

anyone wonder what the internet exploder update was? its at 5.2.3. i'm guessing it was just for panther functionality or to give it the same look as the rest of panther.

just curious, cause if i remember, m$ dropped internet exploder support and updates almost a year ago. eh.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
ok, i hope this isn't too dumb... i see inconsistent windows from Finder.

if i click on the Finder on the Dock, i get the thick-bordered, brushed metal Finder window with the side column.

if i double-click any storage device on the Desktop, say, the startup HD, i get the Finder window like the old Jag. If i click on the "toolbar" botton (the elongated circular botton on the upper right), the window looks like the new ones. it seems like Panther has inconsistent "default" window setting?

i think this is one thing they still haven't fixed from the Jag-era. Each windows stores its preference on how it's displayed. there's no way to make all the windows, new and old, come up in one style... ugh. oh well, it's still pretty cool...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I had a similar problem, not with the non toolbar aspect, but whenever I clicked on Finder in the dock, it would be significantly smaller and the sidebar would be smaller than if I were to click on the HD icon. For some reason, though, now it's consistent. I'm not sure if I unknowingly fixed it or if it just fixed itself, but now the windows remember their size/orientation/arrangement.

Galegao

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
I haven't read all the posts yet, but I couldn't agree more with what andyjamesnelson has said regarding the new finder window.
There are tons of problems with it. I'm surprised at how bad it is at showing what you have selected!!! AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!
What a hassle! I have to resize it to show me what's in the window EVERY TIME in column view.

It needs an update.:mad:

Galegao

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2003
HALF-BAKED FINDER

YES! The new finder is great!

BUT!

Here are the probs:

1. Not minimalistic (Bulky, Clunky)
2. I dare anyone to scroll (notice I said scroll) around in column view you have to use the scrolbar all the time to see what you have selected.
3. You can't arrow-key to the top level in the finder window! - WHY THE HECK NOT??!!!!
4. When you jump between levels in column view the highlighted item is usually only HALF visible!!! WHAT IS UP WITH THAT!!!!???
5. Why doesn't my finder window "dynamically" shrink or expand fit to my documents and folders???!!!! Like Steve Jobs said it would.
6. The columns in column view are totally inconsistent and separate from eachother. I have three folders with titles of 15 letters or less and the column view either shows only half of my folders names or uses up half my screen to display part or all of 3 little folders!!! AAAAND three empty white columns.

PLEASE! Someone try these things out with the new finder and tell me your findings!
:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.