Anyone think the iphone 5 build is sexier?

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
New Orleans / Baton Rouge
I just bought a iphone 6 full retail since I'm still grandfathered in to Verizon's unlimited. I previously had an iPhone 5. I love the screen size of the 6 and the speed but I can't help but think the build quality isn't near as sleek or sexy as my 5. The black and slate, corners, bezel etc. The 6 feels cheaper.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
I agree. I moved up from an iPhone five to the 6+. When boxing up the iPhone 5, I noticed how elegant and sleek it looks. Much more elegant than the 6+. However, things are moving forward.i'm just hoping that the 5/5S are not the last elegant phones Apple makes.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The black/slate iPhone 5 was a thing of beauty. Unmatched by the others. The iPhone 6 looks better than all the other 5/5S colors though.

Hexaea

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Chicago
I think the 5/5s are the best looking iPhones. The 6 doesn't have that same premium look to it; it's more like an android phone in my opinion.

That said I still did pre-order a 6 plus.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
The 4/4S is still the best looking iPhone ever produced. It really did look like a very expensive piece of gear, like a Leica camera or something else Swiss/German and costly.

5 looked worse than 4 and 6 looks a bit worse than 5.

Honestly I think that Apple was in such a hurry to get the larger screens out that they might have had to short-cut the design process a little more than they normally would.

My hope is that they will reverse this trend with the iPhone 7, and give us another work of art telephone that looks like it costs far more than it actually does.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 65832
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
The iPhone i4's design is still my favorite iPhone design. That's the phone that first made actually consider getting an iPhone. However, the 4 wasn't available on verizon in the summer of 2010. But yeah, that thing was beautiful. I also loved the gold 5S. Easily the best looking phone out of the 5S line up, IMO. As for this year, I've said it so many times and I'll say it again...the space gray 6/6+ is absolutely beautiful.

stevearm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2007
The space grey 5S is stunning, far nicer than the 6. Better, more usable, phone too. I returned my 6 and got a 5S a few days ago, loving it.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I you describe your phone as "sexy", you have issues.

If you don't think the black/slate iphone 5/5s is sexy I would say the same about you ;)

----------

The space grey 5S is stunning, far nicer than the 6. Better, more usable, phone too. I returned my 6 and got a 5S a few days ago, loving it.

I've been contemplating returning the 6 for a 5s. I needed to upgrade mostly because my 5 is a 16gb. Thinking about getting the 64GB 5S. I've only had the 6 for two days though. Might give it some more time.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2014
I think the 5 is better looking, but I always throw a case on my phone anyway. I prefer the 6+ with leather apple case to the 5 with leather apple case.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
I don't know about sexy but iphone 6 is the sleekest one yet. Take the enlarged footprint and a thinner profile and that equates to much more sleekness. It looks like it belongs in the year 2014

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
iPhone 5, Black/Slate, 2001 monolith look. Hands down my favorite. Spaced out gray on the 5s and above will never beat black/slate.

I'm biased of course because my iPhone 5 is still my primary phone, but I still think it looks better than the fugly 6/6+.

I don't like talking about the 4/4s. Apple killed the 5 before they killed the 4s. I hate it for that. ;-)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've been contemplating returning the 6 for a 5s. I needed to upgrade mostly because my 5 is a 16gb. Thinking about getting the 64GB 5S. I've only had the 6 for two days though. Might give it some more time.
I was actually quite disappointed going from my Black & Slate 5 to Space Gray 5s as Space Gray is quite boring and doesn't look as nice as Slate.

You might as well keep the 6 as you're stuck with Space Gray and unless you get the Gold 5s, it won't look as nice as your Slate 5.

ruckleapple

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2012
Japan
Yes!! I've been thinking this from day one of getting my 6. You see an iPhone 5/5s and it screams Apple. iPhone 6 screams generic android phone to me and the various iPhone 5 owners I've shown my new 6 to.
But having said that, I'm loving the extra screen realestate.

oplix

Suspended
Jun 29, 2008
New York, NY
Yes!! I've been thinking this from day one of getting my 6. You see an iPhone 5/5s and it screams Apple. iPhone 6 screams generic android phone to me and the various iPhone 5 owners I've shown my new 6 to.
But having said that, I'm loving the extra screen realestate.
Good maybe now the two can resolve their petty differences and become friends.

cyberbro

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
To the OP, Yes, I got rid of my 5s to get the 6. I just said the other day I wish they just made the 5 bigger and I'm sure the extra thinkness could have helped the battery life as well. I don't like the feel of the round corners and it now seems to slide more in hand.

ccapman670

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 31, 2012
I was actually quite disappointed going from my Black & Slate 5 to Space Gray 5s as Space Gray is quite boring and doesn't look as nice as Slate.

You might as well keep the 6 as you're stuck with Space Gray and unless you get the Gold 5s, it won't look as nice as your Slate 5.

Oh no I forgot 5s was space grey and not slate! :O

Yeah I find the 6 looks more like a generic phone where as the 5 reminded me of a fine Swiss watch. It's like a G shock compared to a datejust!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Oh no I forgot 5s was space grey and not slate! :O

Yeah I find the 6 looks more like a generic phone where as the 5 reminded me of a fine Swiss watch. It's like a G shock compared to a datejust!
A bit of an exaggeration as even the 5s looks quite generic in Space Gray. If the 6 were available in Black & Slate (and they made the antenna bands a bit thinner), people would be all over it as the best looking iPhone ever.

jkim3691

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
If you don't think the black/slate iphone 5/5s is sexy I would say the same about you ;)

----------

I did this. I had the 6 for a few days and hated how I felt so clumsy with it in my hands. Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone and the screen was awesome but portability and ease of one-handed use were my main priorities. I had a slate 5 and I loved that color. My favorite iPhone by far and the excitement getting it on launch day was unmatched. Anyways, I exchanged my 6 for a space gray 5s and am happy. The speeds are practically the same as well as the camera. Only real thing that's missing is Apple Pay which I probably wouldn't have used anyways and the bigger size which I don't really need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.