Anyone think the white macbook will discontinue?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ---, Dec 3, 2008.

1. --- macrumors member

I was a little surprised that apple kept the white macbook somewhat alive after the aluminum update. Does anyone think that at Macworld, or within a few months after, we will likely see apple replacing it with an aluminum macbook?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Not until there is a low cost alternative. If they dropped it, the cheapest MacBook Apple sell in Australia would be $2000. $1650 for the current white one is already too high.

3. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I think the white Macbook is just about finished. IMO, it seems like a last ditch effort to secure PC-Mac switchers in this turbulent economic time. Once Apple releases the next set of notebook upgrades, I can imagine the 2.0Ghz Aluminum model replacing the white Macbook.

That's all speculation, mind you. I have absolutely no evidence to substantiate any those claims.

4. ritzuk macrumors member

I hope not - white has recently been Apple's signature colour and now they hardly make any white products at all!

I think the white plastic is bad for the environment, though.

I'm thinking about buying one before they stop making them. I can't see them being ditched anytime soon, however, because they're the cheapest (and already too expensive) laptop they make.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

I you really like the white, I suggest you go buy it now. I really can't imagine the product staying on. As technology advances and current notebooks become cheaper, I feel confident that the whitebook will be replaced with the Aluminum Macbook. In a year, I think it's conceivable that the $1,300 model would drop down to $1,000.

From a practical perspective, the whitebook just clashes with the new direction Apple is taking. They're trying to streamline their computers (hence the new iMac(ish) look of the notebooks), and sustainable manufacturing/production has now become a priority. Like the 17" MBP, I really can't imagine the design lasting that long.

That said, I'm really surprised you prefer the white Macbook over the newer model. Personally, it was the white plastic that prevented me from buying the Macbook earlier. The worst part of the machine, IMO, is the white chicklet keys. They get really dirty and before you know it, your 2 month old machine looks like it's 2 years old!

6. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Sure it'll end, all good things come to an end sooner or later.

Although personally I never liked the plastic MBs because of staining. I've always preferred and used aluminum laptops, except for the period after Apple discontinued 12" PB and before they introduced MBA. I'm sure many liked the plastic. It's just personally preference, but for me, couldn't care less if they discontinue it.

7. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I would bet Apple is trying to phase them out as we speak. This Best Buy near me is NOT an Apple retailer, I was just in there yesterday and now they have the white MacBook for sale. This leads me to believe they are trying to push them out the door any way they can.

8. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Yes, give it until MacWorld. Discontinued Plastic MBs, cheaper GlassBooks.

9. chrisiw macrumors regular

Yes I think that they will finish it in the new year, and the present market conditions, will force the reduction in price on the Alum Macks.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, and it's too bad. Then there will no longer be a durable laptop in the line. Here's hoping they wake up by the time I need a new laptop. Until then, I'm holding on to my BlackBook.

11. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You did it now. The new alu owners are going to target you (I can bet who and what they will say :)). Hold on tight here it comes. :D

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That's fine. ;) I haven't lied about anything. Let's see- aluminum and glass versus high-impact plastic- which one is more durable?

13. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I'm hoping that it does so that my Fist Gen will become a Classic and sell for a new MB. :rolleyes:

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Aluminum vs Plastic "which one is more durable" ?????? do you need anyone to answer that?
    I dont know about you but i havent seen anyone complaining that there aluminum macbooks are cracking where as your "high impact" plastic IS cracking on peoples macbooks

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You know the answers from some you will get on that question. I tell ya these new alu owners are vicious and protective of their laptops.

They all crack. Didn't ya know? :) Funny the 3 I have had never did (guess Apple gave me the special ones), but that argument has been played enough on here.

16. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

In my above post im not saying one is better than the other. I dont want it to turn into that. Im just saying that anyone knows metal is stronger than plastic.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Drop an aluminum MB from about three feet up. Tell me what happens. I haven't had any cracking issues whatsoever. I've dropped my BlackBook twice and had a guy accidentally backhand the lid with his wedding ring when I was on the train. Not a mark.

iBook G4- dropped 9 times from various heights in the four years I owned it. The only thing that it got was a slight crack on one corner, and that was after the ninth drop. Sorry, aluminum can't take that kind of abuse, neither can glass.

I use my laptops for travel, and they need to be durable, not dentable.

18. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

The Al MacBook is out for like 6 weeks.
    It is impossible to judge the durability of it yet.
    Wait at least 6 month and then we can make comparisons and so on.

I guess people didn't think of the plastic MB to crack after being on the market for only 6 weeks,...

19. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I'm just joking around anyways. I find it funny though how some (not you) get their panties in a wad over anything said about the new one. You seem to take it in stride which is great. The plastic ones have been bashed especially about the so-called crack problem and the new ones will get bashed also. It is how it is. Everyone is entitled to their opinions.

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Durable, not dentable. I like that.

21. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Im not doubting your careless handling of your laptops. Im just saying aluminum is stronger than plastic.
    Why are car bodies not made of your "high impact plastic" if its so much stronger than metal?? I could go on with thousands of examples of metal being stronger.
    You like your laptop, thats all that matters! You dont have to try to justify yours being better than someone elses aluminum macbook. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion but it is a FACT metal is stronger than plastic.

22. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm..hello? What about Corvettes? Fiberglass. Is bulltproof glass made from glass? No- it's made of plastic.

That wasn't what I said in the first place. You're putting words in my mouth. And keep the insults to yourself. I never said anything was better, blah, blah, blah. Aluminum simply doesn't suit my needs. It's a very soft metal, and it bends and dents relatively easily, that is a fact. And glass is certainly less durable than plastic.

When you travel constantly with a laptop, things happen. I can't afford to have to replace parts on a laptop all the time, it needs to be able to take some abuse. Apple should continue to offer some sort of more durable laptop.

24. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Im not trying to insult you at all. If your computer works better for you then thats all that matters. Im happy with mine, your happy with yours. That is ALL that matters!

And for fiberglass, now your throwing 3 elements into the mix. Fiberglass has nothing to do with this. it was metal vs plastic.

25. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I loved my white MacBook, never cracked or anything. I love my aluminum MacBook now, dent-free as it is presently.

My problem is that I just like to buy the latest and greatest. :D