Anyone thinking about ditching their iPhone for a G1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by PowerFullMac, Sep 23, 2008.

?

Are you thinking of ditching your iPhone (when your contract ends) for the G1?

1. Hellz yeah!

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  2. Hell NO!

279 vote(s)
    90.9%
  3. Dunno... I'll think about it later! I'm busy now!

21 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Behold the G1!

[​IMG]

So wadya think, left or right?

2. snverhallen macrumors 6502a

3. automatickyle macrumors regular

Definitely the right one. This G1 was a dropped bomb.

4. minik macrumors 65816

Aside from the system software, HTC just didn't do a good job on designing a good looking phone.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I couldn't say until I've tried the G1, but from what I've seen so far there is no compelling reason for me to switch.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

the G1 looks like an iPhone with one of those senior citizen emergency buttons on the bottom. Help! I've called and I can't hang up!

7. joeb macrumors newbie

How long before we see Android ported to jailbroken iPhones?

Anyone interested in working on this project?

8. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Sounds cool if I can put it on my iPod touch! :)

Dont know enough to work on the project, though :(

9. AMcBroom81 macrumors regular

AMcBroom81

Just another iPhone knockoff, Apple has made 2 phones total and now the whole world is trying to make their phones work and act and function like the iphone.

Apple - 2

Other phone companies - 0

10. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Hey, which phone gives you a proper colour option and not just the colour of the back? The G1 or the iPhone 3G? :p

11. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Going for the one on the right all the way.

12. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

Ugh. If the g1 might have had a regular headphone jack and not some stupid proprietary extUSB port - I would have considered it. however, the HTC Touch HD has my attention at the moment - I love pocketpc os anyway - I would totally sell my 3g iphone for one of those.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Though I said yes, it is not so much ditching as it would be that I would want to see what their SDK is about and see what apps can be designed for it. The design of the phone is mildly off-putting.

14. Rob Mclovin macrumors 6502

ehh. It just seems like another iphone ripoff. Only reason this ones getting light is because it's by google. If this same phone was made by like nokia, then it would have less hype.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I do like the look of the UI but the phone itself is far from attractive. I'll be sticking with my first gen iPhone.

16. eneisch macrumors 6502

From what I've read to date - I don't think so. Laggy browser, simplistic mp3 player, no video player (although one is expected to be added to the marketplace) does not seem like an iPhone killer to me. Just does not seem to have the slickness factor that the iPhone has. Maybe after another generation it will be a contender, but for now it is just another wannabe in my opinion.

17. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I think Android sounds promising. I saw a YouTube thing and the web browser (Chrome Lite) has some neat features missing on Safari. But as of now, we will have to see where it leads. Its almost looking like Apple is helping them by being so "close minded" and turning away apps.

18. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Like I said in the other thread:

I wouldn't consider the G1 at all; I need desktop integration, like I've had for years already.

That, plus the lack of 3.5 mm jack and the fact that it offers hardly anything I wasn't already getting on my Palm Treo, makes it a nonstarter for me. I agree with whomever called it a consumer, not a business phone, though I would just say it's not a real smartphone, it's a "fun" phone with extra features and a keyboard. And not that impressive even for that.

Too bad. Maybe the next Android phone will be more business-friendly. Or maybe they aren't planning on targeting that market?

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. From my perspective, there isn't much to see with the gPhone.

20. bbeaton macrumors newbie

Nothing really pulling me away from the iPhone. Best of luck to the gPhone though, there's a lot to be said for open source.

21. richard371 macrumors 68000

I would not touch the g1 with a 10 foot poll.

I predict the g1 will be a huge flop.
    1) comes with 1gb
    2) no standard headphone jack
    3) laggy
    4)tmobile will cap the data speed up to 1gb then drop to 50kbps after that.
    5) ugly as hell.
    list goes on and on.

I would rather have the ghetto sidekick then that thing and I would not be caught dead using one of those.

22. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

This alone is enough for me to say no. This I blame squarely on T-Mobile, and it's unfortunate that the first Android phone ended up on their network. And we thought AT&T was bad?

If there was a cap like this on the iPhone, I wouldn't have bought it either.

As for the phone itself, I'm left a little underwhelmed. Some are laughing at it and saying it lacks compared to the iPhone, but to me it just... lacks, iPhone notwithstanding. It just has a very cheap, beta kinda look and feel to it.

If I had a choice between the G1 and a Blackberry, the Blackberry would win. Versus a BlackbJack II or other WinMo device? yeah, I'd pick the WinMo.

PalmOS? Okay, then I'd pick the G1.

All told, I think the G1 won't be as successful as the proponents of Android hope it will be. At the same time, I hope that doesn't mean Android itself is a dud. We'll have to see how the OS looks.

I wouldn't hold your breath on this.

23. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I don't have an iPhone because it's too expensive (counting the phone service). This seems a little cheaper, but still too expensive. Let me know when there's a $200 phone with no contract requirement.

24. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

25. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Waiting for G1 software unlock so I can use AT&T!

Haha, how ironic is that?