Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you thinking of ditching your iPhone (when your contract ends) for the G1?

• Hellz yeah!

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Hell NO!

Votes: 279 90.9%
  • Dunno... I'll think about it later! I'm busy now!

Votes: 21 6.8%

• Total voters

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
I'll keep waiting patiently for the iPhone thanks!

The other one looks as though it was designed by Fisher-Price. It might be wonderful but it's not something I'd like to be seen with!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
When our contracts end, the G1 will be 2 year old cell tech...not what I'd call an inspiring reason to switch.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Even though the G1 is fugly, its only a 1st gen device and unless apple opens up iphone (not gonna happen), future iterations of Android based smartphones will leave iphone in the dust. IMO, of course.

But that's assuming Apple doesn't continue to develop the iPhone. Who knows what future iterations of the iPhone (software or hardware) will have in store.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but Apple does have an 18 month head start, and its not like Apple released the iPhone then quit working on it.
(Well, let's hope they didn't)

wreckshop

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2008
But that's assuming Apple doesn't continue to develop the iPhone. Who knows what future iterations of the iPhone (software or hardware) will have in store.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy, but Apple does have an 18 month head start, and its not like Apple released the iPhone then quit working on it.
(Well, let's hope they didn't)

It really comes down to the apps. Just like it does on the desktop. On one side you have a closed ecosystem, on the other side open. app store isn't entrenched like itunes, so apple doesn't have any leverage against developers who don't like app store policies. If the app store was open like android marketplace I'm positive we'd have a turn by turn GPS app a long time ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.