Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Dont get me wrong I like the phone. The speed is definitely an improvement but here is why im not completely sold yet
- Touch ID may be TOO fast. I much prefer to the old way to leave your finger on it for a second before it opens.
- The sound quality on my old 6 seemed better/louder. May be just me need more testing.
- Vibration is too quiet now. I cant feel it vibrate in my pocket.
- Thought I would like LivePhotos but seems gimmicky after I used it. Dont see myself using it really
- Even though the camera is 12mp now I dont see that much difference in quality compared to the 6.
- Thought reception would be better since it supports T-Mobile Band 12 (Available in my area) but dont see any difference.

But I do like phone I love 3D touch, cant wait for more apps to start using it. Love the speed and improved RAM (no more refreshing). Most likely I'll keep it but those are just my concerns.

The sound quality is at least on par with the 6 though I haven't fully compared yet. The music I tried I had no problems listening to and I'm rather picky.

TouchId? Just use a different finger than the one you used to unlock and then switch to the right one.

I doubt I'll use LivePhotos much either.

If the camera is a wash, that doesn't concern me really. I use it minimally to begin with, I would have an issue if it were worse.

Reception on par is fine also, again only a problem if it was worse.

The new iphones are beasts but only the potential owner can judge if an upgrade is worthwhile to them. In my case it totally is.

Cloud Unique

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2015
Not a chance will be keeping my old iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s.
I going to run this phone till the iPhone 7s.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
I might return the Plus for a regular 6s. But I'm giving it a week :)

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
I'm on the fence about returning my 6S+ but I am going to give it a few days and see if it takes me past first impressions.

As compared to the 6+ my big issues are:

The glass on the screen is thicker, and it doesn't have the same laminated look as the 6+.

Music playback seems inferior through headphones, and it is not as loud as the 6+.

I think next week I will head to an Apple store and see if is just a case of me getting a dud.

Reactions: c00kies&apples

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I probably wouldn't have bothered getting a 6S if I had the 6. However, the difference between the 6S Plus and the 6 Plus is much more and makes that upgrade worthwhile. The iphone 6 was ok. The iphone 6 Plus was a piece of crap. JMO.

Performance is night and day. The 6 Plus stuttered, lagged, refreshed both apps and tabs too much, and sucked to use to be honest. The 6S Plus fixes this. Add in OIS for video.

I wouldn't have upgraded if not for the speed fixes. 3D touch is cool but not a big deal right now. Live Photos I'm leaving on for right now but could've gone without. Touch ID wasn't that slow in other phone. Pictures taken are noticeably that different. I can tell difference in video though but it's just steadier.

Still, it's all about the speed. If you don't care about that then I can see someone having second thoughts.

ParDigital

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I'm on the fence about returning my 6S+ but I am going to give it a few days and see if it takes me past first impressions.

As compared to the 6+ my big issues are:

The glass on the screen is thicker, and it doesn't have the same laminated look as the 6+.

Music playback seems inferior through headphones, and it is not as loud as the 6+.

I think next week I will head to an Apple store and see if is just a case of me getting a dud.
I created a thread on the headphone volume issue but got no responses. Glad someone else noticed

ron808

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
West Coast, USA
I just returned my 6S to a 6S+. I'm still adjusting to the size. I can't tell much about phone performance as there isn't many noteworthy items that have not been mentioned.

iNinja08

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
Yes, im returning mine - 6s+. I'll switch back to Apple when they decide to put an AMOLED/OLED display in their iPhones. I was doing some display testing last night in a dark room where I typically would be viewing the phone for media purposes and there is a night and day difference in the blacks. During any black/partially black scene my Note 3's display is practically not even there (as in looks to be completely turned off) vs. a dull/dark/gray on the 6s+ when it should be black. Albeit the 6s+ has brighter whites, no level of brightness adjustment could match the contrast ratio of the Note3's 2 yr old display. This is true for every scene and it creates a vast difference in depth and visual contrast, but it ultimately is a technology hardware difference. The display tech inside the 6s+ simple isn't capable of displaying pure black or "off" as an OLED is. And this saddens me because I was ready for the switch and I had to see it to believe it.

If the Note 3 didn't already produce stunning 4k, then I may be able to deal with the dull grayish blacks on the 6s+, but because by switching I am loosing out to what in my opinion is a superior display (from 2 years ago) I would keep the 6s+ and Apple would likely win my business for life. I think rather I will complain about the lack of OLED tech inside this phone for the entire year and maybe Apple will decide on this change in the iPhone7 - then I'll switch. I'm working on producing a comparison review between the features that I care about (display/4k video quality) and hope to have that done sometime this week.

Other than the display technology, the 6s+is quick and fantastic.

Last edited:

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Me? Return the 6S?
382241.gif

Reactions: Jetcat3

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
Already tried the Android thing with Galaxy Note 3 and 4. Switched to iPhone 6s Plus and I am finally happy again. No lag, no bluetooth stutter/skipping during music streaming, no having to clear app and partition cache to keep it running smooth. YES, indeed I am so glad I went this route.

Macinva

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I just returned my 6S to a 6S+. I'm still adjusting to the size. I can't tell much about phone performance as there isn't many noteworthy items that have not been mentioned.
It doesn't take long to get used to the new size. As I said in another thread, when I switched from my 5s to the 6+, it felt gigantic but I got used to quickly and now the 6+ feels normal.

It's great having the larger screen though.

supervelous

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2010
Didnt say it was bad I just said I preferred how it was on my iPhone 6 better. Dont know how yours was set up but mine hardly ever failed it was accurate 98% of the time.

Actually agree with you on a lot of points. It's not an overwhelming update for me going from my 6 Plus to 6S Plus. The biggest thing is the speed and smoothness. I did think though that my 6 Plus finally got fairly smooth on 9.1.

Even though the difference in weight and thickness is small I definitely noticed it and prefer the 6 plus form factor and weight. It feels less sleek now although more solid to hold in hand.

I definitely prefer the old Touch ID. It worked for me almost 100% of the time and the short lag time allowed you to use the home button to check the time or notifications. I realize you can use another finger but sometimes the way you're holding the phone only allows the thumb to be used. I guess I'll use a finger tip or wake button but prefer old way.

Live Photos seems like a gimmick to me. Took a couple and it seems to suffer from a poor frame rate anyway. 4K video is cool but if you don't have a 4K display then what good does it really do. There's not enough 4K content to justify buying a 4K TV yet for me personally.

3D Touch will be awesome once it's implemented more widely and in more creative ways. Excited about that but it will be awhile before it's widely adopted and fully realized in third party apps.

While I'm not overwhelmed I still am happy with it and think it's best iPhone yet. Plus I don't have option to return anyway. I sold my 6 Plus to get this phone so nothing to go back to.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The only feature that didn't meet my expectations was Live Photos, and even so, I can't stop poking and prodding all of my photos to move. So I guess I'm hooked after all. :D

(There's also the promise that as I gain more practice with it, my Live Photos will also become more compelling and more in line with my expectations.)

If it does get returned it would only be due to a problem or defect I haven't uncovered yet. And I would just get another one.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Upgraded from a 5s to a 6s Plus and there's no way I'm going back, love the screen increase, improved Touch ID, speed and 3D Touch (especially using the keyboard as a trackpad to move the cursor).

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
I returned my first 6s because it failed during the the update to 9.0.1 and this one is a stuttering mess so yes I will be returning this one as well. Touch ID is much better on the 6s but overall I don't see an improvement over my 6 on 8.4 plus my 6 is jailbroken so usability is better on my 6

One thing I learned was that I prefer space grey over silver. If the next on is stuttering I will not be impressed. I won't be using it much anyway until we have a jailbreak for iOS 9.? The possibilities of 3D Touch and jailbreaking tweaking is going to be great.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Who would dare to return an iPhone unless it's defective or likes glitchy android?

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Yes, I am seriously considering returning my 6s because the display exhibits an unsightly yellow gradient from left to right. The effort involved in trying to obtain a decent display is too involved and time consuming to outweigh any benefits that the 6s may offer. I would entertain the idea of exchanging my device through Verizon but I know they will not cooperate.

lancastor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
I think think I will return it:

- Photo/Video quality same as iPhone 6
- Touch 3D absolutely useless feature
- too heavy
- battery life is worse
- apps doesn't start really much faster

So you there aren't any improvements, except faster TouchID.

Hoping iPhone 7 is going to be the next interesting release.

Reactions: that be me
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.