Anyone trade their 6+ back in for a 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JrFreak, Mar 4, 2015.

1. JrFreak macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

I'm thinking of it... It's just too damn big. I like to be able to reach every corner with my thumb and I can't do it without feeling like I'm going to drop it.

Hmmm... decisions, decisions...

2. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I decided right from the start to use a 6 which I am happy with, but spoke to 2 store employees who say a good percentage of people start with the 6+ and then go back in for the 6, but he did say there are some that go the other way too?

Personal choice, but do it before your 14 days are up then like others on this forum you will be stuck getting rid of your 6+ on your own

3. JrFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

Yeah. I have a week left to figure it out. I also have the TLC memory in my 6+, which is the 'bad' memory from what I read.

4. FieldingMellish Suspended

5. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I went from the 6 to the 6+ and then back to the 6. It was just too big for me.

6. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

I went the other way. Had he 6 since launch day but kept eyeing the plus and its bigger screen with envy. Decided to make the switch to the plus about a month ago and couldn't be happier. The size does take a bit of getting used to but the benefits of the bigger, sharper screen and better battery life are well worth it to me.

7. JrFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

JrFreak

Battery life was one of the reason I got the 6+, but honestly so far I haven't seen a big difference. Now I've been using the 6+ a lot, reinstalling tweaks, etc.

----------

Thanks for the link.

8. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Ditto. Had the 6 since launch and picked up a 6+ last month and could never go back to the 6.

9. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

As I said in previous threads, I never even entertained the idea of buying the 6 Plus because I knew full well it would be too big to comfortably carry around with me day to day.

People go on about the battery life, OIS on the camera and the slightly better screen on the Plus but all that is completely trumped for me by its physical size. Its up to the individual and the better phone is the phone that suits the needs of the user, not what other people think. :)

10. AAPLinc, Mar 4, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2015

AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Sharper screen? The 6 has 326ppi and the 6+ has 401ppi. Is that a huge difference? Maybe it is maybe it isnt, however 326 is so good already, I guess I have no interested in anything more.

The only thing that had me honestly interested about the 6+ was the optical stabilization and how the home screen rotated to landscape (can now do this with a cydia tweak). All of which were moot points in my opinion, so I saved my $100 and got the 6.

I just felt overtime I wouldve thought the 6+ was just too big, and I still feel that way. I went from a 4S to a 5S back to a 4, so a 6 was just right for me coming from the 3.5" iP4. Will I get a 6s+ or 7+, who knows? I'll see how I feel then. But 4.7" really seems like the sweet spot for me. My friend has a 6+ and has made a few comments about wishing he got the 6. He does enjoy the battery life however.

I think the 6+ is a great phone, too big for me, but glad there is a market for it. Apple finally gave those phablet lovers something to look forward to as well. :apple:

11. dsi76 macrumors member

I went from a 5S to a 6+ on launch day. It was too extreme a change (4" screen to 5.5"!). Exchanged it for a 6 and loved it. However after a few months I yearned for better battery life and a bigger and higher resolution screen, so I got the 6+ again.

I'm a small guy with small hands but now I am so used to the 6+. For the first week it was annoying to have in my pockets (I wear loose fitting jeans), but now it's fine. The slimness of the 6+ actually compensates for the overall size. EDIT: I also got an Anker slim case from Amazon which adds barely any thickness to it.

So I think the gradual progression fro 5S to 6 to 6+ really worked out for me, but adjusting from a 4" iPhone straight to a 5.5" 6+ would be really difficult.

12. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

After having the 6+ for around a week I offered my 6 to my daughter who handed back my old 5s a few days later. Forgive me for this but, OMG the 5s felt like a baby's toy. It was so TINY I could not believe I ever used the thing. Amazing how quickly the 6+ size became my new standard.

13. dsi76 macrumors member

Exactly, now I can't believe that I used to think the Galaxy Note 2 was giant.. It looks small! The Nexus 6 is an acceptable size now, LOL. Very funny how this works out.. I am sure the OEMs had this in mind, to start small and then progressively go to bigger and then even bigger screens.

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

No, but I do wish I had gone and traded my 6 for a 6+. It's huge but using it in the store I fell in LOVE with it.

15. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

I went from a 5 to a 6 plus about a month ago and I'm happy. Yes, I can't always text comfortably with one hand anymore, but otherwise, I am completely satisfied with the 6 plus. I love the extra screen real estate (I read alot of RSS feeds on it) and now that I've gotten spoiled by it I don't think I could ever go back.

16. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Theres just no hiding an iPhone 6 plus, owning one is basically telling everyone around you that you own one lol

17. afallnstar macrumors member

afallnstar

I wish I would of traded in my 6 for a 6+, I could use the extra space and battery life.

18. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I went from a 6+ to a 6 myself. I just felt the + was too big for me personally. It was the right choice for me. The + is no doubt a nice device but it was just too inconvenient for carrying around. YMMV

19. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I agree it was a tad too big for me. If I didn't have my Nexus 7 it would probably interest me more. Maybe down the road I'll consolidate and just have one device (the whole point of a phablet) or I'll stick to my tablet and moderately sized smartphone. My friend with a 6+ wants to get rid of his iPad air because his phone is used now more often. But I appreciate having 2 devices, I like having my phone be iOS and my tablet Android. It's fun experiencing both platforms and getting the best out of both worlds.

20. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

Yes. I flip flopped so much in the past months you'd think I was opening a pancake joint. Finally settled on the 6 (for now). It's just a great size for one handed use. I do sort of miss the bigger screen of the 6 plus, but I like the feel of the 6 a bit better. I might switch back again, who knows!

21. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

nope. not me. i had the same reservations about the 6plus (it's too big) but i'm glad i stuck with it and now wouldn't go back to a 6. it took me awhile to get used to it you're only at your week 1 ow owning it but have patience and you'll end up loving it even better.

----------

and yes, owning a 6 is also like telling the whole world that you can't handle big things, lol.

22. AreanFSL macrumors 6502

I traded my 6 with my relatives 6+ for a week or so and couldn't wait to give it back. :eek:

23. Autokon macrumors 6502

Autokon

I've been in the same boat as many, trying to decide which to device to stick with or switch to. I actually started with a launch 6+ but after about 3 months started to grow a bit tired of transporting the size and dealing with the lack of portability options (re: one handed operation, jacket pockets). I suppose the honeymoon giant phone concept started to wear off on me. So, when Apple launched the factory unlocked devices, I decided to pick up an iPhone 6 to see how well I faired with it. After switching between iPhone types in excess of probably over 15 times :)mad::mad:) - I finally settled on the iPhone 6.

It boils down to a few concepts:

1. Do you VALUE the ability to one hand operations? I do, BIG TIME. Quickly responding to a text or something as simple as leaning against a wall and checking my news app while having the ability to thumb through and read. These things are taken for granted once you switch to a larger device. Try being on a 6+ for 3 months, then gaining that ability once again to do one handed operations, its a miracle.

2. Portability. While the 6+ most certainly fit in my pockets, I still noticed it significantly more than my 6. I could put my 6 in my jacket pocket and forget about it. Not the case with the 6+. I also noticed that my hand got tired of holding it while reading news, macrumors or reddit while wrapping up my day laying in bed.

3. Screen size. Realize that the 6 is still bigger than the previous generations of iPhones by a LOT! Don't discount the fact the 6 still has a fantastically sized screen. The 6+ is MUCH bigger and should be used for the simple concept it has a bigger screen, re: media/web/reading, etc. I work from home. I'm always in front of my computer, so having these abilities to a larger degree are null to me. The 6's 4.7 screen is still bigger than previous iphones as I said, so, it works perfectly fine for me due to my arrangements.

4. Accessories. Cases for the 6+ are big, naturally. I noticed if I added any sort of case to the device that actually would protect it decently, added a lot of weight to it. Yeah, the weight in numbers is small, but regardless, it all adds up to the durations in how long you hold the device. Throwing on a Magpul field case to the 6+ (one of my favs) added a lot of weight and bulk (IMO) to a an already large iphone. I had to stick to very THIN cases like the Incipio NGP to keep the device thin and lighter weight.

And finally....

5. OCD. I actually am diagnosed with OCD (And take meds for it) but also have always well protected my electronics. So regardless, I noticed my OCD/Anxiety going crazy trying to keep the 6+ clean and well protected. Laugh all you want haha, but I know I'm not the only one here. My 6 is significantly easier to keep protected and cleaner, thus curbing my ocd/anxiety surrounding the device.

I hope this helps some people out. I realize some of my points wont ring for everyone, heck, we're talking very low weights as it is when it comes to these devices. But, I feel it all adds up and makes a difference. Overall, I'm very happy with the decision I made and am very happy with my 6. It and the 6+ are amazing devices. Just think about which you want more, a phone or a phablet and realize the cons that come with each.

Note: Battery wasn't a big deal to me as I work from home, so charging isn't an issue for me.

24. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I did the opposite traded in the 6 for the 6 plus, the 6 was alright the 6+ still seems big to me but I couldn't see myself going back.... I actually converted my wife to iPhone today and got her the 6 * pats self on back*

The battery life with the 6+ is awesome! you will notice a difference going backwards to the 6. Holding the 6 today even felt small, while the associate was getting the phone ready I went and held the 5s I was like how in the hell did I ever use this thing!

25. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

I have owned the 6 since launch day, but I used another line's upgrade to buy the 6+ last week to give it a shot. I have a week left to use it. I love the screen, the battery life and everything about it except it's difficult to use it with one hand. I am not sure the trade offs are worth it in the long run, but we'll see.

I can still text and answer with one hand, but if I need to do anything else, I either have to use two hands or use the one handed feature. But the battery life is just incredible. I usually have 85% or so left at the end of the day when on an iPhone 6 it would be at 55% or so.