Anyone tried the Magic Trackpad with a Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by reel2reel, Jul 30, 2010.

1. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Just wondering if it suffers the same lag problems many people are reporting with the Magic Mouse (when used with a MP).

I think this would be amazing to use with Final Cut Pro, but not if there's a lag.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Based on my experience attempting to edit (somewhat cumbersome, especially when you're used to 2 physical mouse buttons and a scroller) on a MBP trackpad, I don't really see how the Magic Trackpad would be much different, aside from there being more surface area to track on.

I think I'll stick with my mouse.

3. G4DP macrumors 65816

Seeing as the software update to enable it to work doesn't appear for the MacPro, the short answer would be no.

4. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

No problems or lags what so ever... works well along side my 1984 IBM PS/2 Keyboard... LOL..

The software update worked fine here on since the day I brought it home.

It just took a bit of time getting used to the multi-touch gestures... Most of them are all 2nd nature now.

5. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

I'd be curious what I could do with a Magic Pad for my left hand along a mouse in my right.

6. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

But for me it would be amazing, I think.

First of all, I never use a mouse. I use a Intuos 4. I'm so used to it now, that going back to a mouse just doesn't feel right. Second, when I'm working 14 hours straight, I'd like to be able to sit back or change position and not be tethered to the computer. Lastly, gestures would be even faster (for me) for scrolling around huge timelines.

Just personal preference, of course. Are you using a standard Apple mouse? Have you tried the Magic Mouse?

7. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

That's great. You're using it with a Mac Pro?

8. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I had an issue getting the update software to work with my MP. The problem is that software update will not see the update software until the magic track pad is properly paired with the MP. I had to go into sys pref/ Bluetooth and then look for new devices. Once your paired run software update and the updated magic trackpad software will install.

9. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

That's a very interesting idea... I may give that a try.

10. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

Probably. He's got two of 'em in his sig. ;)

11. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Good point. I've got an aversion to sig's so I wouldn't have seen that.

12. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

That's right, the Trackpad page specifically says you need to pair the device first. I never would've read that, of course, if I wasn't searching for it in the first place. Thanks for mentioning it.

13. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I didn't know about the pairing thing. I just downloaded and installed the update manually: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1066

14. grapefruitmoon macrumors newbie

I got my Trackpad this morning, and am currently using it with my Mac Pro. Works a treat once the Software Update is installed (this is available after pairing the Trackpad).

15. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

to those people using it with a Mac Pro...you feel you are as fast with the trackpad and how about accuracy?

16. maghemi macrumors 6502

I've just hooked up mine as well.

At the moment only really using it as scrolling with my left hand.

But will play a bit more with the features tomorrow

17. Becky Austin macrumors member

I'm using mine on a first gen Mac Pro with a USB Bluetooth dongle from Walmart. My Mac Pro didn't come with internal Bluetooth so I had to get the dongle. No stutters whatsoever here. Works great!

18. FiL0001 macrumors newbie

Unlike my Magic Mouse, I see zero lag with the Magic Trackpad on the Mac Pro. Way more accurate.

19. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

The Magic Trackpad Works great on my Mac Pro. I don't experience any lags whatsoever.

20. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I'm loving having the magic trackpad for my desktop. I've missed the gestures on my MacBook Pro loads when using my big computer. The magic mouse was a complete failure in my opinion, it's uncomfortable, can't do simultaneous left and right clicks and the biggest problem of all, the multitouch is a complete left down. They should have supported pinch to zoom and rotate gestures on the magic mouse.

I'm using the magic trackpad as well as a Microsoft mouse and find myself using each for equally and for different tasks. Scrolling through long web pages and particularly for reading PDFs and looking at images, the trackpad is amazing. For general GUI use, the mouse takes over. I'm happy having three input devices on my desktop now.

21. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is the reason I want one. You listed pretty much everything and then some I could think of when using it. And I don't mind having three input's either. Can't wait to get one!

22. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

It's totally worth it. I'll admit I ordered it without checking the price. I've been clamouring after a trackpad for my desktop for ages now. I often deal with loads of PDFs and the rotate and zoom features are simply invaluable. The keyboard combinations don't cut it - I'll usually rotate it the wrong way first by accident and the zoom keyboard shortcut is unpleasant to use since it clunks in without any accuracy.

I've heard a lot of PC users on PC only hardware forums laughing at the likes of us who will just buy anything with an Apple logo on it and say it's a joke that Apple's trying to make desktop users use a trackpad. They just don't get it. My productivity has already increased and my user experience has improved. Of course I'm not going to be trying to play Crysis with it which is what they all seem to think is the only use for a computer.

23. macpro2000 macrumors 6502a

Well, looks like I need to get one for at least one of my computers...people really seem to be liking it.

24. sporadic macrumors newbie

Yep, I have one. I tried it in the Apple store first to make sure it was going to be possible to put it in a comfortable position to use relative to the keyboard. It hasn't completely replaced my mouse (a wired all singing/dancing thing) but it gets the lion's share of the work. I love the multitouch pads on Apple kit, there's just nothing else like them. :)

25. reel2reel thread starter macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Thanks a lot for all the replies. Much appreciated. Mine just shipped today! Can't wait. :D