Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meduzarija

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Belgrade, Serbia
Has anyone tried Xcode 8 Beta? I am kinda eager to update, so I am deciding whether or not should I replace current 7.3.1 with 8 beta. Any experiences with the beta?

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Only problem is if you use swift code. Xcode 7 is in Swift 2, while Xcode 8 runs Swift 3. The differences between the two require so many changes to your code, you will no longer be able to switch between Xcode beta and 7.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
Xcode 8 support both Swift 2 and 3, so that is not a problem.
I have a project that compiles perfectly in Xcode 7, opened it in Xcode 8, declined it offering to upgrade my code to Swift 3, and suddenly was hit with tons of errors, all of which are based on my code not being written in Swift 3.

Significant1

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2014
I have a project that compiles perfectly in Xcode 7, opened it in Xcode 8, declined it offering to upgrade my code to Swift 3, and suddenly was hit with tons of errors, all of which are based on my code not being written in Swift 3.
It still supports swift 2 or more precisely Swift 2.3 which is The same as Swift 2.2, but with support for the API of next MacOS, ios, tvos and watchOs. It is only so people can do the conversion at a suitable time.

What goes wrong in your project I don't know. I have just started checking out xcode and don't have any old Swift projects of my own.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
It still supports swift 2 or more precisely Swift 2.3 which is The same as Swift 2.2, but with support for the API of next MacOS, ios, tvos and watchOs. It is only so people can do the conversion at a suitable time.

What goes wrong in your project I don't know. I have just started checking out xcode and don't have any old Swift projects of my own.
Try the oauth demo project from this github link and you'll see what I mean. Happens with all my projects. https://github.com/OAuthSwift/OAuthSwift

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
What size is you project in KB? Make sure you are not saving Derived Data in your Project Folder. That would definitely cause chaos.
Derived Data causes so many issues. Apple should really include a button to delete it in Xcode itself. However, I have already done that and the error still exists. Not a big deal though as I'm just continuing to use Xcode 7 instead.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Derived Data causes so many issues. Apple should really include a button to delete it in Xcode itself. However, I have already done that and the error still exists. Not a big deal though as I'm just continuing to use Xcode 7 instead.
I changed the location of derived data to its default location (not sure how it suddenly changed to the Project Folder in the first place!).
What I do see is that the location for it becomes a junk yard of old files piling up, so we have to get in there and clean it manually. What a waste of time!

Reactions: iphonedude2008

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
Using Xcode 8 is a dedicated "Jump". As others have said about the Swift 2 to Swift 3, and all of my .xib files had to be updated and when I went back to Xcode 7.3.1, it said NO DICE on the xibs...so git "Discard all changes..." is your friend....I'll be using the new Xcode 8 on my MacBook Pro Retina (delayed/late 2016) around March. Have to finish up some projects for iOS9/tvOS9/macOS11.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have made a backup copy of my project. I'll continue working on it in Xcode 7.x until I reach a certain point.
I'll use Xcode 8 to learn about and test the new features of iOS 10 and Xcode 8, and then migrate my app before iOS 10 launch, primary new GameCenter functionality.

philosopherdog

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2008
I usually run the betas along side release versions. But I think I'll sit this one out. Xcode 7 is the most stable I've ever seen Xcode.

Reactions: rezwits
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.