Anyone tried Xcode 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by meduzarija, Jun 16, 2016.

Tags:
  1. meduzarija macrumors newbie

meduzarija

Has anyone tried Xcode 8 Beta? I am kinda eager to update, so I am deciding whether or not should I replace current 7.3.1 with 8 beta. Any experiences with the beta?

2. --R0B-- macrumors newbie

I've had a brief play with it just to check that we can still use it for UNIX Qt/X11 development in C/C++ which it still does.

3. superscape macrumors 6502a

superscape

Personally, I wouldn't recommend replacing Xcode 7 with the beta version. If there's some catastrophic bug in the beta then you're in trouble. At least, run the current Xcode and the beta, and use the beta for testing purposes - not live production work.

4. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

How about installing Xcode 8 beside Xcode 7 and being able to use one or the other?
    Is that still a possibility without killing my setup?

5. --R0B-- macrumors newbie

The Xcode 8 beta is named Xcode_beta so that to doesn't overwrite Xcode 7.

6. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

THANKS, ROB!!!! :D

7. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Only problem is if you use swift code. Xcode 7 is in Swift 2, while Xcode 8 runs Swift 3. The differences between the two require so many changes to your code, you will no longer be able to switch between Xcode beta and 7.

8. Significant1 macrumors 6502

Xcode 8 support both Swift 2 and 3, so that is not a problem.

9. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I have a project that compiles perfectly in Xcode 7, opened it in Xcode 8, declined it offering to upgrade my code to Swift 3, and suddenly was hit with tons of errors, all of which are based on my code not being written in Swift 3.

10. Significant1 macrumors 6502

It still supports swift 2 or more precisely Swift 2.3 which is The same as Swift 2.2, but with support for the API of next MacOS, ios, tvos and watchOs. It is only so people can do the conversion at a suitable time.

What goes wrong in your project I don't know. I have just started checking out xcode and don't have any old Swift projects of my own.

11. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Try the oauth demo project from this github link and you'll see what I mean. Happens with all my projects. https://github.com/OAuthSwift/OAuthSwift

12. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

What size is you project in KB? Make sure you are not saving Derived Data in your Project Folder. That would definitely cause chaos.

13. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

Derived Data causes so many issues. Apple should really include a button to delete it in Xcode itself. However, I have already done that and the error still exists. Not a big deal though as I'm just continuing to use Xcode 7 instead.

14. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I changed the location of derived data to its default location (not sure how it suddenly changed to the Project Folder in the first place!).
    What I do see is that the location for it becomes a junk yard of old files piling up, so we have to get in there and clean it manually. What a waste of time!

15. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

Using Xcode 8 is a dedicated "Jump". As others have said about the Swift 2 to Swift 3, and all of my .xib files had to be updated and when I went back to Xcode 7.3.1, it said NO DICE on the xibs...so git "Discard all changes..." is your friend....I'll be using the new Xcode 8 on my MacBook Pro Retina (delayed/late 2016) around March. Have to finish up some projects for iOS9/tvOS9/macOS11.

16. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have made a backup copy of my project. I'll continue working on it in Xcode 7.x until I reach a certain point.
    I'll use Xcode 8 to learn about and test the new features of iOS 10 and Xcode 8, and then migrate my app before iOS 10 launch, primary new GameCenter functionality.

17. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

I usually run the betas along side release versions. But I think I'll sit this one out. Xcode 7 is the most stable I've ever seen Xcode.

18. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits