Anyone Try: 3G Unrestrictor + Facetime?

MT0227

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Damit...was hoping it was going to work. Thanks for the update.

Comment

jason221

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
Did you try unrestricting the Phone application, since FaceTime resides within it? Or is that what you did originally.

Comment

freejack

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Just tried facetime using my3g with my wife. It was pretty darn smooth. Voice quality was excellent also. Finally we don't need to use Fring anymore. The video chat on that was horribly bad.

Comment

UCLAKoolman

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Just tried facetime using my3g with my wife. It was pretty darn smooth. Voice quality was excellent also. Finally we don't need to use Fring anymore. The video chat on that was horribly bad.
This is excellent news. Btw are you having problems with apps not properly multitasking in the background?

Comment

ChiliBlue

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
Houston, TX
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

My3G and FaceTime is acceptable to me. Much better than Fring.

Comment

iWeBZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
FaceTime Unrestricted Works!! Sort of...

It does work... But there's a problem with it... Add FaceTime to the unrestricted list... Then try and make a call... It's going to fail, but then go back to 3G Unrestrictor and remove FaceTime from It... Here's The Trick!!! Even though FaceTime was removed from the list, get out of unrestrictor, and attempt ur call again! TADA!!! it works!!! But... U gotta do that each time u reboot ur phone!!! ENJOY!!! it took me 3 hours to figure that out... But I was facetiming all day at work!!!

Comment

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I just tested out an hour ago.
Works fine over 3G. A little grainy at times but does the job.
No problems with making calls or anything. 3G unrestrictor and FaceTime on my i4 worked nice and easy.

Comment

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Worked for me. They now have the Phone app with () next to it that says (FaceTime). Also, it now says the app officially works with FT.

And yes, i tested it, though the other phone was on wifi, mine was on 3g and it worked fine. (My gf is strongly against jailbreaking her IP4 and she always has access to wifi except when driving so I can't test 3g to 3g calls but wifi to 3g definitely worked.).

Attachments

Comment

MarkCooz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
California
YUP.
well i didn't try it myself. but a friend of mine was on the road using 3G unrestrictor...
he was literally on the road driving, he bought a cell cradle and just put his iphone there.

was pretty amazing how a jb app can make this facetime feature happen without any lags or whatever... (there's a little here and there. but if your reception and 3g coverage is good, then NO PROBLEMS) :D

Comment

NyteShayde

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
Working Screenshot?

I've seen the screen capture of the "working face time" from the dev. This is a screenshot just before connecting to a FaceTime conversation. Does anyone have a screenshot of an actual conversation happening using 3gU?

I have the "phone : FaceTime" added to the list of apps in addition to appstore and youtube. Youtube successfully played in HQ, and I was able to D/L a 60MB podcast from itunes all using 3g.

The problem I'm having is the same bieng reported here and elsewhere. Upon initiation of a FaceTime conversation, it "rings" twice then says FaceTime unavailable. It no longer gives me the wifi required warning, which is a start.

Let’s hope this gets resolved. :)

Dev Twitter: http://twitter.com/KStreichDev
Dev "mobile" Site: http://www.kstreich-dev.com/m/

Comment

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I've seen the screen capture of the "working face time" from the dev. This is a screenshot just before connecting to a FaceTime conversation. Does anyone have a screenshot of an actual conversation happening using 3gU?
The reason that is done is because once the facetime call is stablished you cannot see the top bar, or that you are in fact over 3G, so a Screenshot of FT over 3g looks just like one over wifi.

The fact that the call is "connecting" over 3G is good enough to show that it works, since before without wifi you couldn't even get that far

Comment

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
i tested it yesterday... seemed to work great. quality was just as good as the wifi call.

Comment

NyteShayde

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
The reason that is done is because once the facetime call is stablished you cannot see the top bar.
Thank you for the explanation, makes good sense.
As stated earlier, I too can initiate a FaceTime but the request never reaches the recipient, failing 100% of the time for me so far. I haven't been able to find a fix for this.
I guess at this point I’m looking for a helpful diagnosis of why this isn’t working for me.

I am new to the world of iPhone so I apologize in advance for any obvious resolutions I'm over looking.

iPhone 4 4.0.1
3G Unrestrictor v 2.2
Jailbroken using jailbreakme

Initiating FaceTime: http://tinypic.com/r/29ayz6h/4
2 Seconds Later: http://tinypic.com/r/vymyrn/4
3g Unrestrictor apps: http://tinypic.com/r/aovzgy/4

Comment