Anyone update iPod touch 2G to iOS 4?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by NJMetsHero, Jun 21, 2010.

1. NJMetsHero macrumors regular

It doesn't seem like I'd get very much by updating a 2nd gen touch. Did anyone do it? Curious to see what new features we would get exactly.

2. trfjason macrumors member

I updated my iPod Touch 2G 8GB to iOS 4. It feels slower than before, anyone else have this experience?

3. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

4. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

5. Brradley macrumors member

You can't have a background, or multitask on the 2G.

6. KaPOWitsCHRIS macrumors 6502

KaPOWitsCHRIS

Man that sucks D:

7. fernando.kreutz macrumors member

fernando.kreutz

i'm really disappointed with this, that i found out after the update. So, if even this feature is not included, this firmware update ads nothing but iads to this **it.
    also, scrooling looks to be crashing, is not smooth as before.

----edit---

also, i've just noticed now, but, anyone ele feels that the ipod button on the dock looks low-resolution?

8. Freshmixture macrumors regular

Freshmixture

I cant see any reason why you cant have a background......:confused:

9. Josh.C.123 macrumors member

damn unlucky guys.. im ok with a 3rd gen but my bro has a 2nd gen... hes gunna be annoyed. and yer i dont understand the wallpaper part... sure multitasking but surely a wallpaper is irrelevant as apple use a black wallpaper anyway?

10. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

then whats the point for updating a 2G itouch lol :(. lost my reason for updating my iTouch.

11. ehmjay macrumors member

At least you managed to upgrade...

Tried to install the iOS 4 upgrade today on my iPod Touch 2G and things were going smoothly, albeit taking a bit long.

At the end of the process I got an error saying "An Error Occurred while restoring this ipod (-34)" (screen grab here: http://twitpic.com/1yshie )

12. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Upgrade went fine on my 2nd gen. 8g, but I don't see any differences. Aren't we suppose to be able to create folders of apps ? If so, how ?

Thanks in advance ;)

13. fernando.kreutz macrumors member

fernando.kreutz

you downloaded the ios 4 over itunes or using direct link? if u used direct link, try downloading again, just to be sure it is not corrupted. Then, reset your device to factory settings (it will reset anyway during the update). Then, if u used direct link and are using a mac, plug in the device, open itunes, press optin and click "restore my device" then select the file source. I hope u're able to update it.

14. fernando.kreutz macrumors member

fernando.kreutz

we are, just hold ur finger in a icon, and when it starts shaking, drag it above anoder icon, then the folder is created.
    The most noticiable difference, is the dock, that is exatly the same as in the mac.

15. BradenG macrumors regular

Yea Folders and iBooks is about the only neat features the 2G Touch gets.

Create A Folder: Tap and hold an app and drag it on top of another to create a folder.
    edit: beaten

Also, is the Orientation Lock only available to the higher up's as well? Kind of ridiculous that the 2G can't have custom backgrounds / screen orientation lock.

16. Night--Mare macrumors newbie

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No wallpapers because of the way icons are drawn. It's not as simple as putting an image in the background. I forgot the complete reason but it has something to do with the way the icons have a shadow or something.

18. fernando.kreutz macrumors member

fernando.kreutz

thats why jailbraked iphones and ipod since 1st gen can have a background... bulls*it

19. Rowbear macrumors 6502a

Rowbear

Works realy well. Thanks :)

20. jaster2 macrumors newbie

jaster2

Error and Crash with eventual success

During the restore process it stopped with a -20 error. This happened during the music/videos part. Re-launched iTunes and it continued the restore for awhile but iTunes eventually crashed. Shut down the computer (G5 PPC), rebooted, relaunched iTunes, process continued and finally ended happy. My iPod Touch 16GB feels exactly the same. In fact, for a moment I thought it didn't have the new software. Not sure why others have posted they are getting slow scrolling etc. I checked and it's exactly how it was under previous OS.

21. NJMetsHero thread starter macrumors regular

Apparently if you Jailbreak with redsnow it allows you enable these things. I'm going to try it after class tonight.

I went ahead and did it and everything does seem a bit more sluggish as apposed to before. Weird.

22. celticpride678

It will be coming later this year in a separate update.

23. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I am still updating it... this is SO long!

It was written it could take up to one hour. I'm still not there, but man this is long :\

EDIT: Finally done. First thing I do: swipe across the app pages. It lags. It freezes at the search page. I press the home button. Nothing. I hold it for a couple of seconds. Screen shuts down. Press again, "Synchronizing iPod" appears at the top. And it disappears. I hit the synchronize button on iTunes. It backs up, and syncs again.

I'm trying it live now: it works. Yay!

EDIT #2: This is very pretty. The animation of the icons is just awesome. And I discovered there is a flight mode. Useful to shut the wifi down quickly, as otherwise it would always stay on. Apps load faster. Nice update, even without wallpapers :)

24. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

Mine finished, here's my new home screen.

No multitasking, no screen rotation lock, no background images. The lack of the rotation lock really bugs me, I was really looking forward to that. I dig the folders though, they make sense.

Attached Files:

25. Toshii macrumors newbie

okay , i have the iTouch 3rd generation and its taking hours to backup:mad: . is that going on with anybody else ?