Anyone upgrading from 7/7+ to 8/8+?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ApplePersonFreak, Sep 20, 2017.

?

Are you upgrading to the 8 from the 7?

1. Yes, of course!

66.2%
  2. No way, not worth it!

33.8%
  1. ApplePersonFreak macrumors 6502a

I’m on the fence about it and I currently have the 7. All glass and wireless charging is appealing to me, however is the cost justifiable?

2. Cobold macrumors regular

Cobold

Yes, upgrading from regular 7 to 8 Plus.
    And yes, for me the cost is justifiable but that's just my personal opinion ;)

3. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

If my iPhone 8 Plus gets here on Friday, I will ;)

4. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

I'm part of the iPhone Upgrade Program, and the price to go from 7+ to 8+ @256 is the same. No reason not to upgrade, since I'm not interested in the first iteration of the X.

5. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

Ditto

6. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see almost everyone here is getting the 8+ though.. I’m thinking that’s the better jump from the regular 7 vs 7 to 8? I’ve wanted to make the plunge to the Plus series but me being a female, the 4.7” is perfect for me.

7. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

For what it's worth (not much I don't think), I'm a female.

8. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

How do you like the Plus models? Is it too big and cumbersome at times?

9. iFranciscoMata Suspended

iFranciscoMata

10. gSOLO macrumors member

gSOLO

With Reachability, it's not hard to get to everything on the phone. The phone sticks out of my jeans pocket a little bit, but otherwise the size is fine.

11. Mr. Y macrumors regular

I'm torn. On the one hand I am approaching 12 mos. on AT&T Next and am eligible to turn in my 7+ in exchange for the 8+. On the other hand, I'm going to pay slightly more per month and for what--wireless charging (requiring me to buy a new charging pad) a glass back and some increase in speed/performance? If I don't upgrade, I save all that money (though not a lot) and by the end of 24 mos. I have a "backup" phone that I own.

12. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

The 8+ is every bit an upgrade to the 7+ as the 7+ was to the 6s+. Improved screen. Improved camera/features. Wireless charging. Fast charging. Glass back (easier to hold). A11 chip. However, these features don’t negate the efficiency and usability of the 7+. In order to justify an 8 you have to want one or more of the features mentioned above. For me, I’m going from 7+ to 8+ because I handed my phone to a family member. Incentive to get one, but I also am pretty excited about fast/wireless charging. Also I can’t stand the notch or the kidney price of the X. So I’m further future-proofed in case I’m equally unimpressed by the X design over the next several years. (XL/X+ Would change my mind if it comes and is better priced)

13. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

What can I do on the iPhone 8 that I cannot do on my iPhone 7 that truly matters ?

1. Wireless charging
    2. Faster GPU/CPU
    3. True Tone (not too important)

Phone calls- Same
    Texting Same
    Music Same
    Camera About the Same
    GPS Same
    YouTube Same
    E-Mail Same
    Internet Same

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

glass back and it seems easier to hold and from the sounds camera is better.

15. triangletechie macrumors regular

I believe the speakers are also supposed to be 25% louder vs the 7 series.

I may get a silver 8+. I normally get a phone with black front, but may change it up this time. I don't anticipate finding an X for several months so I'd be fine with the 8+.

Could this also be the last iphone with a white front?

16. High Desert macrumors regular

On the fence here, too. Currently have the 7 with 128 gb of storage. I am on the upgrade plan with Verizon and am eligible for same. I cannot see the point of the X phone for several reasons: 1) overpriced for entry level 64 gb phone and $1149 for 256 gb is too much I think. 2) Don't really care for notch factor and how landscape mode works using Safari - seems like a lot of wasted screen, 3) don't care for face id as only way to unlock phone and 4) I never buy the first release of a new concept but wait for at least one cycle for improvements to take place or problems to be fixed. If I was to make the upgrade, I'd probably do the 8+, for the HD and better camera setup. I am satisfied with what I have now, so really, am just sitting here watching reviews and trying to decide if I should go ahead and upgrade or, like some others, wait the cycle and end up with a paid off phone and see what the next generation brings. Could also be the deciding factor of if I stay with iPhone or move back to Android.

17. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

I did. 7 Plus to 8 Plus. I upgrade every year.

18. jamezr macrumors G5

jamezr

Get a new iPhone every year...going from 7+ to 8+ and might get the iPhone X too...not sure yet.

19. allthingsapple! macrumors regular

I actually made the decision to go from a 7 plus to an 8. My hands are so little so the plus is not comfortable to hold however I might get the plus because I'll miss my camera features. But as of right now it's the 8 for me.

20. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have small hands as well too so I’ve always gotten the 4.7” screen versions. They work well for me. I think I’ll probably still get the 8, although the camera features on the 8+ are pretty fascinating.

21. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

Aluminum back of the 7 is more durable and premium than glass..

22. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not necessarily... also, how else can you do wireless charging?

23. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Only you and your conscience can answer that.

24. ApplePersonFreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

haha. My heart is saying “go ahead, do it, you do it every year and even upgraded from the 6 to 6S, why not now?” But my brain is saying don’t!

25. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

LOL. be rational and buy what you need/what you value it and buy what you could afford.