Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
I suspect that the new apple watch will have the same square shape and it will come with a brighter screen, LTE and not much else. Basically I suspect that OS4 will be the main upgrade. Rumors are that with LTE it basically will be for data and NOT capable of making and receiving phone calls...if that is the case I will keep my series 2 stainless steel 42mm and enjoy the Os upgrade.

Mikael H

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2014
Series 0 Sports here. I’m seriously considering upgrading to one of the steel models, and timing that purchase with a new Watch generation seems like a good way to go.

Stlcheer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2010
Saint Louis, MO
I currently have a Series 0 space black stainless. I'm thinking about the Series 3 in whatever metal the new "Edition" will be in or another stainless.

ItsGavinC

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Series 0 here, and I will absolutely upgrade. I'm running OS4 right now, but need a new watch. The screen is too dim when compared to my wife's series 2, plus my series 0 has some serious screen-burn in going on, and the colors fade halfway through the day. Basically my screen is failing.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Does it do anything useful over the existing models??

This is a valid point. It likely will retain the same form factor with very little changes made there. LTE has no interest to me. So ultimately for me to upgrade from my current Apple Watch, it would have to offer a more significant function or capability that would appeal to me. But I'm more looking for a redesign or health related advancements

Reactions: FrisbeeK9

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
It all depends what's in the next Apple Watch. Unless someone owns a failing watch, I think we can better decide after the keynote in September.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Another series 0 user here (SS). Depending on the price, I'd like to get the new SS model. But I wouldn't rule out getting the SS series 2 model either if any stores are running promotions.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
i will be upgrading to the new watch. Sold mine and wife's watch so waiting for the new ones. Will be upgrading to iPhone 8 as well. it is going to expensive!

Reactions: SlowNEZee

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
This is a valid point. It likely will retain the same form factor with very little changes made there. LTE has no interest to me. So ultimately for me to upgrade from my current Apple Watch, it would have to offer a more significant function or capability that would appeal to me. But I'm more looking for a redesign or health related advancements

Some people are like cult members and just have to buy stuff to make themselves feel better. I can't see how anyone can commit to an E3 (or iPhone for than matter) without actually knowing the details - pure fanbouism.

Reactions: ANTAWNM26

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
series 0 here but if Apple comes out with a nice upgrade I would buy it.
what I need to see are:
1: faster more energy efficient processor
2: micro led display with no borders (maybe always on)
3: thinner body
I believe all the above are reasonable expectations

ManicMarc

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2012
I suspect that the new apple watch will have the same square shape and it will come with a brighter screen, LTE and not much else. Basically I suspect that OS4 will be the main upgrade. Rumors are that with LTE it basically will be for data and NOT capable of making and receiving phone calls...if that is the case I will keep my series 2 stainless steel 42mm and enjoy the Os upgrade.

Based on watchOS4 I'm expecting new design with only one physical button. I doubt I'll upgrade my S2. The only things that would tempt me would be always on screen, cellular, and always on heart rate monitoring. But I doubt we'll get all of that. Also if it does have cellular, you can bet that as a version 1, it's going to be buggy and full of battery drain problems. Best to wait for S4.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
I'm on series 0, so I "most likely" will upgrade.....I was planning on getting the series 2, but as time went on, I'd figured I'd wait.

Might be picking up the new apple tv as well, so I"ll probably will choose one of those to get first, (depending on whichever is released first) then pick up the other in another month or so. If they are both available at the same time, I'll get whichever one was more impressive in the keynote first, lol.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I have a series 1 and as much as I'd love one with a data connection of its own, I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to be worthwhile.

betabeta

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
I think the LTE version may be thicker or larger in some way, and unless they can show value or some new things, I can’t see needed LTE

I would rather have better battery and better GPS, now GPS for me is not always great, I think they are jumping between GPS and counting my wrist movements for calculating some things.

So I’m not interested at all, I have my phone most times anyway.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
Yep battery sucks, with exercise I struggle to get through a full day even when I start at 100%
Apple checked the battery and I'm at 97% of original.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Yep battery sucks, with exercise I struggle to get through a full day even when I start at 100%
Apple checked the battery and I'm at 97% of original.

Yeah battery sucks on mine too, exercise kills this thing dry, but I generally get through a day of usage on my watch so I'm largely happy with that.

If the price is right I think i'll consider an upgrade if its compelling enough. Having said that, S0 still allows me to dictate simple messages, set timers, and do exercise. For the main functions I use my watch for there isn't much of a need to upgrade.

Plus i've scratched the screen to high heaven on this one, probably not worth spending more on a new one when I can't even look after this one properly!

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
I have the original space grey aluminum so I'm ready to upgrade. I'm a little bummed that there doesn't seem to be any form factor changes. I was hoping for a thinner design but I'll live with the current design.

I'm looking forward to the nice speed upgrade with Apple Watch 3 and longer battery life. I'm also considering the black stainless steel after owning the aluminum.

Question to those who own the stainless steel..How does it hold up working out with it?

mrallank59

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
Someone said that the newest I watch won't have the ability to make phone calls. Is this true?

chiefs1968

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2016
That is correct it will not be able to make cell calls as well as receive, the LTE basically covers data and of course a monthly charge from your provider. I don't see the point of LTE with data when open wifi is available everywhere ( starbucks, Panera, Mcdonalds etc etc)

Reactions: democracyrules

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Question to those who own the stainless steel..How does it hold up working out with it?

I have been very impressed with the 316 L stainless used on the Apple Watch. It has a nice luster or shine to it. It does scratch rather easily, but simply can be removed with a Cape Cod cloth. But overall, it gives it a nice weight to it, which makes it feel more substantial. But the stainless model actually has a Watch appeal and it feels like one when wearing it.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I have a series 1 and as much as I'd love one with a data connection of its own, I'm just not sure I'd use it enough to be worthwhile.

Same here.
I don't want to pay an extra every month to my carrier just to have data on the Watch, and I'm not willing to pay more for a cellular model of the AW. I wonder if they'll just make a series 3 with LTE or if they'll make a wi-fi only model and then a cellular, like they do with iPad, at an higher price.

Maybe in the future wearing a Watch with LTE will be pretty much standard, but at the moment I don't think I need it and I'll stick with my series 1, unless they announce something completely different with new design, new features and so on

Reactions: Richdmoore

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Depends on what the advantage over my series 2 is..

I have the sport model now so wouldn't mind getting the SS version again but not if the only difference from series 2 is speed and LTE. I see no point in LTE personally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.