Anyone use the Health app?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by memo90061, Oct 16, 2014.

1. memo90061 macrumors regular

I want to start using the Health app, but I'm unsure on how it works. haha. I used to use the Lose It! app, and really liked it. The health app is just to input data from other apps? It doesn't track steps or anything like that?

What apps do you recommend using with the Health app?

2. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

I really like myfitness pal and iHeath they populate almost all the info I need.

3. memo90061 thread starter macrumors regular

4. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Does any app automatically keep track of your weight and writes that info into the health app?

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is a multi-page existing thread about Health app that will probably answer your questions

6. TechDiva macrumors 6502

TechDiva

It does track your steps. The problem is that you'd have to have your phone with you at all times.

7. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

I use it to track walking distance and steps. It does that without any external apps. If your environment has stairs then you can also use it to track how much you climbed. I don't encounter stairs in everyday experience so I don't enable that function.

----------

Well, that ought to be obvious. How could the app on your phone know what you're doing if it's not on you?

8. purpleparrotuk macrumors 6502

Waiting for the apple watch to track my steps. I have the 6 plus and a fitbit but i don't have the phone on me all the time. Will be glad when I can use the watch instead of the fitbit. Hope it's not going to cost £400. :eek:

9. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I use it to track my weight and steps/distance walked. I haven't linked it with any other apps yet, although I'm hoping to link it with the Nike+Fuel app for my Fuelband.

pac

Attached Files:

10. CEmajr macrumors 601

I have My Fitness Pal linked to it. It's nice on the days that it actually decides to work. Maybe iOS 8.1 will make it usable.

11. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I have the same hope. Some days I open the app and I have nothing on the dashboard. It appears that I have never setup the app to do anything. Other days I open it (like today) and all of my info is there including the past few days that it would not show me prior. Maybe its some other application or something doing it. I seem to have better luck getting it to show dashboard info earlier in the day. So far I don't depend on the app for anything, I'm just using it as something interesting to look at. Maybe it will be more dependable soon so I can use it the way it was intended.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

In it's current format it's inconsistent with when/if it syncs data from other apps. And honestly I don't see what it does other apps I have do more efficiently/effectively.

13. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

The point is where you said other apps. At some point those apps will talk to the health app and together feed info into health that will collect and sort the data into a single view. I really like the idea but its still very early. The faults it has now will likely prevent people from using it later once its really ready to go.

14. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

It will only do that IF you're on an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus if you're one of us who's waiting for the new phone it doesn't. For that you need an app or device that can track steps.

15. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

In some ways I feel like that isn't a problem for most people

16. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Oh. Ok guess that explains why it works for me. Didn't realize that was new to the iPhone 6.

17. AngusW macrumors 6502

AngusW

Well to be exact the steps were new with 5S. The flights of stairs was new to the 6 and 6 Plus they actually alluded to that in the keynote with the addition of the barometer.

18. katiejaneshore macrumors newbie

19. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

20. katiejaneshore macrumors newbie

21. batting1000 macrumors 604

Go to the Health Data tab in the Health App, search something like "Steps" or "Walking + Running Distance", select one, and toggle "Show on dashboard." Then, return to the Dashboard tab.

22. deviant macrumors 65816

damn you're heavy

23. zamudiovsky macrumors regular

I have the Misfit Flash linked to it and it automatically updates all my steps and distance walked and I don't have to have the phone with me.

24. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

i thought that Nike was supposed to release an update that is compatible with HealthKit?:cool:

25. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

i've been trying to find a way for the health app to display calories burned like the actual Fitbit device does. Even after trying every free health app in the app store and giving it permission to read and write to it, I still can't get it to work. That's where Fitbit has Apple beat. It just tells you 4 things, steps taken, distance traveled, calories burned and time of day. One would think that the health app would just do that much all by itself.