Anyone use their iphone for their only portable device?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cicatrix, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Cicatrix macrumors 6502

Mornin, MacRumors folks.

Quick question,
    I want to know if anyone here uses their iphone for their sole portable device for surfing, email, etc... and if so, do you ever feel the need to have an ipad or something ultra portable like the 11" Air with a bit more options while on the go.

I currently have a Blackberry Curve, and although I can get on the internet with a pretty comfortable connection speed, I absolutely hate the small keys on it because I push 6 buttons at once, and the web browser sucks. My phone upgrade is available in June so I am thinking of picking up the new Samsung Galaxy S2 which is comparable to the iphone. Ideally I wanted an iphone but I have to wait until October before I switch carriers from T-Mobile, to Verizon to get the iphone.

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

For now, yes.

As of 5:01PM tomorrow, no.

Been waiting for the new iPad to roll out. iPhone serves a lot of purposes for me but to have the larger screen in the iPad works out better for movies/netflix/surfing/DocsToGo/etc.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use an iPad as surfing and other tasks where the larger screen enhances my experience.

4. danetello macrumors 6502

For normal day to day use, yes I only use my iPhone. If I know I am going on a long trip then I usually take my 160gb iPod classic for music. :)

5. mnsportsgeek macrumors 65816

6. Lioncrazz macrumors member

I use my iPhone everywhere and for everything. At home, I use it as my primary surfing and email device. I use it as my GPS and music player in the car. At work, I use it as my organizer, and as a tool to asssist what I am working on. My iPhone does everything I need it to do and it does those tasks well.

7. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

Ditto to this one :)

8. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

Lioncrazz, your not playing around when it comes to the iphone! That's awesome you are able to do all that with just the iphone.

Torture much?
    There is no way I will possibly be able to wait until October! lol.

9. Savor Suspended

Savor

Before iPhone 4, no.

I had two phones (one was an iPhone 2G) and an iPod touch. Before that, it was my PSP and 5th gen iPod.

Lately, my Sony PSP is going through a revival with me since it now carries a 32 GB card and works as back-up for my music listening and video needs. But iPhone 4 can be my only portable media device for my needs if I want to. Give me over 20 GB and anything can become my one and only pmp.

But in the future, I will likely get the Sony PSP2 to replace my aging original model. And by next year, I may switch to BlackBerry. But my biggest beef with RIM is they can be stingy with GB space. Give me a phone with at least 16 GB w/ expandable memory slot, and I'll be happy. But sometimes, companies don't do that. Samsung Focus is only 8 w/ expandable slot and the XPERIA PLAY has 400 MB onboard and 8 GB card included. The reason I need it to be 16 GB with onboard storage is that 16 GB cards have become extremely cheap. Much cheaper than the $100 difference between 16 GB vs 32 GB iPhone 4's that is non-expandable. It is much better to have a expandable memory slot for future-proof versatility in moving, reloading, and backing up data. I don't like set-storage only.

10. GP_1 macrumors regular

Right now, yes.

Sometime this weekend when I get the iPad 2, no.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

My I-Phone is the only device I use as a portable. I have a lap-top but it's an ASUS monster and it rarely moves at all. I use it like a desktop. For portable computing, I use my Phone and am thrilled to have so much power in my shirt pocket.

12. akasch macrumors regular

Yes I use my phone for music, gps, web surfing and email. I'm rarely on my mbp now a days, only to design and write papers.

13. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

For 90% of things I do - yes.

The other 10%? Wouldn't be caught w/o my Kindle. iPad is a wonderful device, but to stare at a screen and read for a couple hours a clip? I like me some easy on the eyes Kindle screen. Plus, at $139 its almost a disposable device.

I have started reading SO much more since I got my Kindle. Love that thing.

14. Cicatrix thread starter macrumors 6502

It is amazing at what something so small is capable of doing these days. iphone seems like a swiss army knife pretty much. I was looking at one in Best Buy the other day and I found the compass. I may seem a bit late, but I was blown away by this! They seem to be an indispensable piece of kit to have.

15. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

my iPhone and MacBook Pro, yes. These buddies go hand in hand, i think with Mac OS X Lion and iOS 5, it'll be even better!

16. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

17. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

18. C5Longhorn macrumors regular

Yes

For me I alternate between an Iphone and a laptop, but the Iphone is my main mobile device and it works awesome.

Rick

19. AppledUp macrumors newbie

thats what i'm gonna do but mostly i use my mac to browse the web

20. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

When I'm on the go, I don't really need to do anything that important. My phone suffices for emails and browsing the web, as well as checking Twitter ;) If/when I get an iPad, it will probably stay at home since I really have no need to take it anywhere (which is why I am not purchasing an iPad right now)

21. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I almost always have my MBP with me, unless I am at some sort of social event or taking a bike ride (which I do often). When I don't have my MBP with me, my only electronic device would be my iPhone 3GS. I always have my iPhone on me, I don't leave home without it.

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

My MacBook is my desktop replacement, and only use it for when I need to design or when I need the power of a full size computer. When I am just ditzing around the internet or checking email, it's my iPhone. I am on my iPhone a lot more than my computer. Hell yes I use my iPhone for everything. It is my main device at home or at work.

23. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Honestly, the Blackberry Curve isn't comparable at all to the iPhone. I know BB pushes that phone pretty hard but if you spent a week with both you'd pretty clearly see the iPhone isn't even on the same planet as the BB Curve.

I've been happily living with my iPhone as my only mobile devices for years. I do own a laptop but haven't had much use for it until I went back to school.

24. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Yup, thats about what I use mine for. Tomtom and Waze for navigation, all kinds of music stored, almost 4,000 songs for music on the go. Pocket Informant for my todo list and calendar needs. I've got 3 different email accounts brought in and I use them heavily. Mobile internet access directly through the device and tethering to my laptop and other devices. Lol, my school's internet is so bad I use the tethering half the time since AT&T's network is better.

There's a handful of games I play on it and a handful of other apps that I use. But, my point is that yes, the iPhone is a swiss army knife unlike a Curve. 300,000 apps means you can find a 5 star program for virtually every need.

25. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Most of the people I know that have an iPhone, use it as their only mobile device. In fact, some of my friends that do have laptops now leave it at home as its not really needed as it once was.

So I believe the majority of folks that have the iPhone use it as their only mobile device. I also believe the majority of people on this forum are not your average use either.