Anyone using a 09 Mac Pro for World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Jul 10, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Im specifically looking for folks using a the Apple 4870 512Mb , any PC 4870, or a 4890 (Hell let me know if you are using the GTX 285 Mac edition also) in combination with a 30" monitor.

If I could get a few responses as to performace that would be great. Im looking at this setup and I play WoW frequently , but that is the ONLY game I play... thanks in advance

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

The issue is that I have a 30" Gateway XHD3000 sitting here that I would like to use... once you go 30" is tough to go back!

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You can use the mini DisplayPort from the iMac to connect it to a 30" monitor.

5. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

True, but how is performance going to me on a 30" monitor with only a 4850 512MB available?

6. dekka007 macrumors member

I have it running on a 2.93ghz Quad 09 with stock apple 4870 512mb graphics card. Everything set at max and lowest frame rate is around 55fps.

Looks wonderful with everything turned up.

7. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Is this on a 30" monitor? what res?

8. hehejames macrumors member

Nice! Or go buy one of those ugly Dell/HP-Alienware. Games play best on WinTel :)

9. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

and this is helpful to my question how?

10. vailance macrumors member

vailance

playing wow wit my mac pro 09 + the built GT120. so far i get 30-40fps at dalaran.

lower 10fps when heavy raid. seems smooth for me. :)

Edit: im using full HD (1920x1080) samsung 2333sw LCD monitor. maybe a normal 20inch or lower will do better

11. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

If it helps, I've been running L4D at max and get a constant 60+ FPS. But I also just installed the GTX 285 :p:apple:

12. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

2.6 Quad '09, ATI 4870, max settings with shadows on my 30" at 2560x1600.

Lowest frame rates are in Dalaran of course, at about ~20fps, otherwise its usually 30+

[​IMG]

13. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Exactely the type of response I was looking for, thank you much. BTW, is this using the 512MB 4870 from apple? The 1GB PC ones would net another 10+ FPS at that high res Im thinking..

14. Brazzan macrumors member

Brazzan

Thanks for this information - that's close to the spec I was thinking of buying.

That seems quite a disappointing performance in Dalaran, so I wonder if there are other limits than the graphics card. Could you please give a little bit more detail about your machine specs, e.g. RAM.

Also, if you've tried any 25-man raids, how is the frame rate in them?

15. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

WoW is extremely CPU speed dependant. Meaning the higher your CPU is clocked the better WoW runs. you could have the best GPU on earth and be bottle necked to low FPS. Dalaran is always low. 20-30 is the best you can hope for on ANY machine when its crowded.

16. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

I've got 8gb of RAM in my machine, though its nowhere near that high in use...you can probably do it with 3-4gb and have a browser open. (I dual-monitor it)...and I have the Apple ATI 4870 512mb card.

Dalaran is more cpu for the lag there... the only guys in my guild higher then me are GTX285-SLI's on i950 (3.06ghz) machines....and they only clock low 40s in Dalaran.

Raids I'm always 30+ fps with full detail and shadows, even on battles with tons of spell detail like Saphron or Yogg.

17. Brazzan macrumors member

Brazzan

Thanks once again, Thepawn. My 2008 MBP (4GB, 2.53GHz) gets ~25FPS in Dalaran on medium settings, 2560x1600, so I'd initially assumed it was a rendering issue, rather than a RAM/CPU one, as presumably the CPU loads there are similar, no matter what your graphics settings are. So, either I'm wrong on that, or there's some other limit, such as internet connection.

A bit of a mystery. If doubling the RAM, going from a 2.53 GHz core duo to a 2.6 GHz quad core Nehalem and going from 9600M to 4870 doesn't help frame rates in Dalaran, what does?

18. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

the CPU is the limiting factor.. TRUST me. And it doesnt matter that the Nahalem is the superior processor. WoW runs on ONE processor only and it is dependant on CLOCK speed. Meaning if you were to over clock that C2D to 3gz, it would outperform the nehalem. Trust me on this. Also if you have 2GB of RAM you are set in WoW. anything less you will chop in cities and anything more is overkill.

19. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Well, WoW runs so much better using DirectX then OpenGL... and since Apple doesn't know how to implement a version of OpenGL that doesn't cause the rest of the machine to stutter, I would say Windows is a better choice.

20. Animalk macrumors 6502

WoW is threaded and core aware. This has been confirmed by Blizzard's Mac Support team on their forums. It can apparently generate about 3 to 4 cores worth of load in the worst situations.

EDIT: the "glfaster" console command is proof of that WoW is capable of utilizing multicore machines with great positive gains.

21. Brazzan macrumors member

Brazzan

Would you mind linking me to somewhere I can read about this more?

WoWWiki suggests that the Mac client does use multi-cores, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information from.

22. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

then I stand corrected. I was referring to the PC version which I was under the impression did not use Multi cores. If Im wrong that is great.. so anyone have info on enabling multi cores?

23. Clubber macrumors member

I'm running a 09 Mac Pro 8 core 2.26 with the 4780 and a GT120. Wow runs pretty good. Up to 170 or so FPS when in Org in an unpopulated area but it slows down in Dal, but still a respectable speed.

On a side note, as an experiment, I dual booted Vista on the same box and Wow ran a considerably SLOWER frame rate on Vista than OS X, which surprised me.

24. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

The issues in Dalaran (or Shatt before that, or IronLag before that) has to do with programming bottlenecks in interpreting the data that is coming to the client. That's why the one statement in there that "the clock speed makes the biggest difference" for the most part is the right one...multicores will help out the mac client, but only clock speed will make it higher unless they work on getting the client to handle the streams better.

It's all that object-location placement updating that slows it down once your gfx card is good enough to handle the terrain and textures. That's why network can also bottleneck it (though I have a 50/20 fios connection, so its not network here).

To that end though, I generally don't care if the fps is low in dalaran (20+ is fine with me), I'm not battling there.... as long as I'm 40+ in most raids is all I'm happy about. :)

25. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

So then my question becomes if I purchase a 2.66 Quad Core Mac Pro 09' and use the 4870 512MB OR the GTX 285 1 GB in it, on a 30" Monitor will I see acceptable Frames? Acceptable to me are 60FPs in "normal" areas. I could care less if Dalaran is 20 fps..

If someone can answer this for me unequivocally Im sold..