Anyone using a SS watch primarily for fitness?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by mjr1000, Sep 12, 2018.

1. mjr1000 macrumors member

The idea of a sapphire crystal screen is appealing but does it make sense to work out in a stainless watch everyday? The casing will probably scratch up pretty easily (though I know it can be buffed out - at least silver, not sure about black). And is the stainless heavier? I’m talking daily weight training/CrossFit. Thanks.

2. Scary Spice macrumors regular

Scary Spice

I am all in on SS. After 2 years, screen is very very good (no noticeable scratches) and little to no wear on the body.
    The watch is heavier, but it feels great.

Al is for the misers out there. The SS is all luxury.

3. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

I wear the SBSS 42 with my small wrists and I'm a smaller guy. I don't notice the weight... ever. Running, lifting etc. The screen and the case itself (SB just doesn't scuff) is flawless 10 months after I started wearing it 24/7.

4. justinf77 macrumors 6502

I wear my SBSS weightlifting in the gym 5x a week. Still looks great!

As a side note, I think SBSS looks better in the gym because it’s understated compared to traditional SS. I always felt kinda funny wearing a shiny SS in the gym, but SB has been perfect for me in all situations including when getting dressed up. I think it’s the more versatile of the two.

Edit: That said, more bands go well with the traditional SS, so depends what you prefer.

5. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Been using the 1st gen (series 0? lol) Apple Watch daily since I got it and it's held up fine. I also use it in the gym when doing cardio and weight lifting, and the weight isn't a concern. Body is a bit dinged up but not noticeable from a distance.

6. Brien macrumors 68030

Brien

I use my SS with my milanese loop most of the time in the gym, no issues. Sport would probsbly be more comfy but I didn’t see the need for two watches.

7. cwanja macrumors 6502a

Following this thread because I have the same concerns. Using a stainless steel in the gym seems absurd. And I play a few outdoor sports (disc golf, golf, football, volleyball). Really concerned with wearing it during those, but want the activity tracking as part of it.

Really feel in a bind. Almost want to order BOTH - a stainless steel and an aluminum and return (unopened) the one I do not want after seeing the models in store.

8. Madmischief macrumors member

Madmischief

I use a SS0 for all kinds of sport and it’s been fine for 4 years.

Glass is fine and sides are swirled but no major scratches or knicks. I use it with a Nike band when working out, hiking, for tennis, etc.

9. bradbomb macrumors 6502

bradbomb

I have worked out at my Crossfit with my SS Apple Watch S0, S2, and S3 all the time. Also did a triathlon in my S2 and S3 and swim regularly. Holds up well. I use either my Nike Sports Band or Nylon Sports Loop the most for workouts.

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

This thread has a lot of good feedback on the longevity and durability of the stainless steel version while doing vigorous activities. With that said, is the casing on your devices scratched or dinged up from all these activities? Crossfit, weight lifting, hiking, volleyball, or is everything pretty much in pristine condition still?

11. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

This is the very reason I purchased the ceramic. I used to have a S2 SS for work and S2 Sport for the gym. I sold both for the ceramic to have one watch for all. Bit lost now with what to do...?

12. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

I also plan to lift weights and do long runs (half marathaons, etc) in a SB SS, but will also wear it daily to the office and out at night. I don't plan on it getting completely destroyed from weights or maybe soccer or ultimate frisbee, or anything like that, but I would still like to know what condition these things are in after a couple years of that activtiy; if I also want it to look good while going out.

Definitely not buying two watches and don't see the need for that. Did you buy the ceramic to be safe, or because you had issues with SS and scratches?

13. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wear my 1st gen SS for tracking my mountain bike rides. The case is pretty scuffed up but the screen is still perfect.

14. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

I’m quite OCD, so got the ceramic for durability, it’s still pristine. I’d personally go SS as I think it looks better for work and much more versatile, but torn whether or not to just skip S4 and keep the ceramic.

15. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Wait, why is it absurd to use SS at the gym? It's more durable, isn't it what you want?

16. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Glossy finish vs Matte

Not durability as in what will survive if a 50 lb dumbbell lands on it. Durability as in what will still look better when going out afterward, if it is also used daily in the gym with potential nicks and scrapes here and there.

17. abdulkar.im macrumors 68000

abdulkar.im

Ceramic was perfect because of this!

18. wxnats macrumors 6502a

I use my SB SS at Orangetheory and love it.

19. Vanilla35 macrumors 68030

Vanilla35

Good to hear! Also good to see a fellow Virginian.

20. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

Unless you're super clumsy or do a lot of work with kettle bells, I can't imagine a SS AW getting especially banged up at the gym.

I've used mine for years without issue. Weight is negligible btw.