Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheLion01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2015
The Netherlands
Read this thread (Anyone using iPad Pro as Main Device?) last week and found it very interesting. It makes me wonder if there are also people who use only their iPhone as their main (travel) computer, for example for Office tasks. Do you also use an external bluetooth keyboard? And which iPhone do you use? And why you use it as your main computer?

Last edited:

Kumiko

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016
I do. I have the iPhone se. Now that Apple allows other keyboards I use one that allows me to swipe. So that makes emails and using pages so much easier and quicker. When I feel like I need a bigger screen I just use my air 2. I rarely use a computer these days unless I need it to add things on my Apple devices. But phones esspacially iPhones are so powerful I can take care of everything on it bill pay, ordering online , banking etc can be taken care of on your iPhone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No. The iPhone cannot do what I have going on here.

2016-11-07 10.28.50.jpg

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2016
Short term yes.
Long term no.
iPhone iPad whatever they just cannot compete with computer in almost every way. Just that simple.
Apple is surely becoming more arrogant and ignorant when they claim iPad Pro is enough for "most people as a personal computer".
It's enough for people who only use it to browse the web, listen to music, watch videos, send emails etc. But it is definitely not enough for people who need to edit video, code, or use Office efficiently.

Reactions: macTW

JustJoshua

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2016
I have been doing it for a few years now. I rarely touch a computer anymore. I can do things faster with my phone than any laptop or desktop. I don't play games on my phone but pay bills surf web etc. Was using my lg G3 before getting the iPhone SE and everything I need a computer for I do with my phone.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
I travel with my IPhone 6+ and no computer on most trips. Bill paying, managing investment accounts, note taking, web surfing and research work great using my cellular data. I like the security of avoiding unknown wi-fi and prefer using my phone. No, I don't edit photos or write book length manuscripts, and if I expect to need a computer I'll toss my MacBook in the briefcase.

Recently I was traveling with two clients, both physicians, to attend a conference where I was speaking. I had my presentation in the cloud so only took my phone. One of the clients wanted to see my graphics ahead of time, so I asked if either had a laptop. Both replied that they only carried their phones. All of us previously would not leave home without a computer.

Our smartphones are more powerful than our laptops of just a few years ago.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Tim Cook probably can because he's got servants/man-slaves to do the serious work for him.

Last edited:

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
When travelling, sometimes I don't even need to lug my PC around anymore. I'm a consultant and sometimes on call even when I'm on holiday so these days I can either access a PC at a hotel lounge, but more and more often, my 7+ has enough power and the screen is just big enough to help me edit an excel spreadsheet or PowerPoint presentation.

Additionally, why the 7+ cannot replace my computer, I find that I'm doing a lot more things on it that used to be reserved for the PC. For example, travel booking apps have got so good there is really no reason not to do them on the iPhone. Some goes for investing and banking.

Nefilim

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Reading - it's great on the iPhone 6 Plus. Anything beyond that just doesn't do it for me, I despise typing on phone screens, there's no way that I could ever use it as a workhorse. Nope.

Reactions: lugworm

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
While the 7 certainly has enough processing power for most of what I (and most people) do on a daily basis, it's simply not realistic (IMO) for any sort of decent workload. Browsing the web, working through documents, and sending emails all day on a 5" screen would be a total pain in the ass. I simply don't see how it could be productive.

On a travel day it can be fine, for sure, but not on a regular basis. The same goes for an iPad, for what it's worth.

Reactions: geta

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Processing power is not an issue, I used to work on computers order of magnitude less powerful than phones/tablets today.

The problem is that iOS is simply not good enough for anything other than most rudimentary tasks. iPad actually has great potential, but is severely let down by iOS neglecting to differentiate it from a smartphone. Sure, if your work is sending emails or producing simple tabulated info in Excel, it may just be possible. Anything else, no. Even then, it's really debatable how productive one would be.

Reactions: lugworm

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
I use my iPhone 6 Plus 75% of the time, my 12.9 IPP 24% of the time, and my Mac Mini 1% of the time. My MAC Mini is my main device. All my music is on it, everything gets backed up to it. You can't escape it.

M. Gustave

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2015
Grand Budapest Hotel
Read this thread (Anyone using iPad Pro as Main Device?) last week and found it very interesting. It makes me wonder if there are also people who use only their iPhone as their main (travel) computer, for example for Office tasks. Do you also use an external bluetooth keyboard? And which iPhone do you use? And why you use it as your main computer?

I've used my iPhone as my only computer for weeks and even months at a time, at home. I've been "iOS only" for nearly a year now (no pc or Mac), and although I have an iPad Air 1, my previous 5s and now 6s+ get the most use by far.

I do all my writing in Ulysses and Word, usually with the Apple bluetooth keyboard. I run a small eBay business, in the app. I'm an avid hobbyist photographer, editing and organizing my photos using iCloud Photos, Snapseed, and VSCO. Printing via the Canon app. I do genealogy research using Ancestry, and the web. I help my kids with their math, organize my finances, and do inventory stuff in Excel. I write music in Symphony. Reading, watching movies, tv, Audible, Apple Wallet, all my reminders, alarms, notes, and task lists... there's so much more.

When you consider the size and capabilities, and app selection, the iPhone is much more powerful and useful to me than any traditional computer I've ever used.
[doublepost=1480893932][/doublepost]
My MAC Mini is my main device. All my music is on it, everything gets backed up to it. You can't escape it.

You can escape it, actually. :)

jianrong

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2015
Not really, I use it to access social media stuff, new app, mail, safari, some gaming, YouTube and music... I prefer watching Netflix on computer though.

Reactions: spoon72

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I have a 7 Plus and find that it is powerful enough that I no longer feel compelled, necessarily, to pack my MacBook every day.

I don't want to pretend the 7 Plus is the equal of my MacBook, but it is strong enough that I can do almost everything that I would need to do in the course of a day, without having to power up the MacBook.

Reactions: Channan and Jetcat3

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
No. iPhone is first and foremost a personal communications tool for me.

It is a fantastic secondary device for stuff on the go. If I need to do a quick edit on a Google doc or reply to an email, it is fine.

For more in-depth creation and writing I still want the large screen and tactile keyboard of my notebook computer.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I almost do. I go days without getting in the computer. But I still use a computer when I need to type something up or print a bunch of things.

Edit: in assuming work doesn't count lol.

Beenblacklisted

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Miami,Fl
There are two types of users , data consumers and data creators. Data Creators need a computer with a usb drive , mouse, etc. Data consumers do not need much, just a screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.