Anyone using Safari 5.1 as their main browser?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ksgant, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ksgant macrumors 6502a

ksgant

If so, any privacy concerns? I'm always bugged by the cookies that various sites throw at a browser. I used to run Firefox with all it's privacy extensions...NoScript, Adblock, Certificate Patrol, Ghostery...

But only a few of those extensions are available on Safari, and some block a little "too" much to make a site run properly. Are you guys running just naked Safari 5.1 or with a few extensions only as your main browser?

I like the "Lion" features of it...and Firefox just seem kludgy to me now.

2. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Safari as main browser, only extension i have is click to flash

3. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

safari 5.1.
    no more iTunes, adblocker...

all running beautifully!

4. The.Walrus macrumors member

Like paulsalter, Safari is my main browser and my only extension is ClicktoFlash. Works great for me.

5. JKK photography macrumors regular

JKK photography

Safari is main, Chrome is secondary, never been worried about privacy with either.

Naïve? Probably. But it works fine for me :)

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

7. CapnJackGig macrumors 6502a

Hell no. After an hour of browsing (with adblock gone and only clicktoflash extension loaded) the stupid thing is consuming a gig of my ram and still growing. What the hell does a browser need with that much memory?! Poorly coded garbage is what it is, so I've gone back to the far superior Chrome.

8. keaide macrumors regular

I use it together with Adblock and Click to Flash. Works great so far, except for the usual issue with full screen mode (Preference window disappears behind the full screen Safari window).

9. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

Still sticking with it, provided some small things are patched up soon.

As far as extensions are concerned, I'm running AdBlock, ClickToFlash, Facebook Photo Zoom, and YouTube Wide.

10. tblrsa macrumors regular

Sticking to it for the moment, although there seems to be a mayor problem with memory usage.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I'm using Safari as my main browser. I don't have many privacy concerns when using it.

12. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

Safari's MUCH MUCH better in Lion. It finally feels refined and fast. But, I'm still sticking to Chrome.

13. leefisher macrumors newbie

Safari with Glims Extension makes Safari usable for me!

14. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Safari here also with...

AdBlock
    Ghostery
    A cleaner YouTube
    LastPass
    Awesome Screenshot.

15. ksgant thread starter macrumors 6502a

ksgant

Thanks for the replies.

At the moment I'm using Safari as my main browser in Lion. It does seem to use more memory, but doesn't seem to be a "leak" as it doesn't get bigger and bigger.

The extensions I'm using at the moment are only 1Password and ClickToFlash. I've used Adblock a bit, but it seems to slow things down more than anything.

16. marc11 macrumors 68000

Yep dumped Firefox after the past two new versions were not to me liking, 5.1 working great. I am using click to flash, turn out the lights, Evernote clipping and language translate. Click to flash and turn out the lights are my favorites by far.

17. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

For all the people using AdBlock: http://glimmerblocker.org/

It filters out all the ads before they even reach the browser.

OT: Yes, have been using Safari as my primary browser for about 5 years now. Latest version is pretty good and really fast. Extensions: 1Password, Sessions, Readability, Shortly, Awesome Screenshot, Incognito, Ghostery, FastestTube. Used ClickToFlash for a while, but removed Flash altogether and use Chrome in case I need it.

18. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Same browser window (Safari & Chrome), viewing a live stream via Adobe Flash Player, Safari uses 1/2 Gig more of Ram.

19. scottsjack macrumors 68000

I really like the look and function of Safari when used with AdBlock and Click to Flash. I even use it on Winows 7 due to better ad/Flash blocking and better looking fonts. Safari 5.1 was an excellent improvement on 5.0.

20. biggy52 macrumors regular

I was a heavy Chrome user before Lion. Now i am full time Safari User with extensions like Click2Flash , AdBlock and Safari Omnibar, i no longer need Chrome,

I have never run into memory problems with Safari 5.1

21. spincr macrumors member

spincr

Personally i always preferred Firefox over safari, therefor i always used it, however my yahoo account is not accessible in Firefox, but it is in safari, so perhaps i should commit to change?

22. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm using it every day, but man are there a ton of bugs in it. Frankly I'm kind of surprised such a high profile app (probably the one people use most every day by far) has so many obvious bugs in it. It's usable, but they have a lot of work to do on it, feels rushed out. And I can't help but think the fact they were holding the new hardware (Airs, Minis) up for Lion put additional pressure on them to ship Lion before they wanted to.

23. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Safari 5.1 is my main browser.

The new privacy setting are working well.
    Have uninstalled Flash via the adobe uninstaller (in SL before upgrading to Lion)
    Lion doesn't install Flash.

Put develop (Safari Prefs > advanced) on the menu bar which gives a quick 'open page in' link to Chrome if I ever need flash as it comes with it's own version.

Get to see the iPad version of videos on websites as they know I don't have flash installed. :cool:

24. applefan289 macrumors 68000

It is the only browser I use on a Mac. I don't use extensions, though.

I was very impressed with the speed-up they gave it in Lion. I think Safari is definitely now the fastest browser for Mac. On Windows, I use Chrome.

25. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I may try this glimmerblocker. How long have you used it?