Anyone using the MBP just for web browsing, iTunes, and Word processing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skyrider007, Dec 23, 2007.

1. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

I bought my MBP purely based on its aesthetic. Now I am feeling that I could have settled with a white MacBook and save lots of money. Are there anyone out there who uses the MBP for simple task?

I don't even play games or do video editing, lol.

2. SavageMac macrumors member

you should feel ashamed of yourself

so many starving children in this world

and you blow it on a MBP you don't properly use?

:eek:

3. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

1 more reason why I bought the MBP: larger screen with new LED backlit technology.

LoL! :p I'm sure there are plenty of charity money flowing around but it's in the wrong hands. YOu know how badly corrupted those third world governments are!

4. SavageMac macrumors member

ya, I wonder why, maybe because everyone is ****ed and US big wigs like to keep it that way

5. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

Me. I bought the MBP for web surfing, email, and for storing my photo and mp3 collecion. The fact is that the Macbook is slightly poorly designed, with a low quality keyboard and razor edges for your wrist. If you can afford the MBP then why not, it's better? :)

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

currently, i use it for itunes, iphoto, iwork and safari
    when(if :( ) i get into uni ill be using it for 3d CAD and stuff, so hopefully its worth it then :)

7. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

Kind of a similar situation for me. I soooo very much could have gotten by with the Quad core Mac Pro. I should have saved the $1500 I spent on the extra 4 cores and gotten a better graphics card and more RAM.

8. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Low quality keyboard? This is my favourite keyboard ever. <3

9. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

maybe he didn't like the macbook keyboard style. i have the new aluminium wireless keyboard and love it!

10. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

The MBP keyboard is also very nice, but I tried it out the other day and I don't think it's as good as the MB keyboard.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You kidding? That's what my XServe is for. I use the MacBook Pro as a nightlight thanks to its awesome screensaver abilities.

12. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Good you got a mbp for that! The poor gfx card in the mb just doesn't cut it for screensavers anyway.

13. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Can you actually use the xserve as a desktop? I think it looks really nice, might consider it. Does it have USB ports and DVI for monitor connection?

14. iCheddar macrumors 6502a

iCheddar

*Facepalm* A server is built for serving other computers, not as a desktop. Besides, the entry level XServe costs a helluva lot more than a base Mac Pro.

15. harmonium macrumors newbie

I bought mine for college. I pretty much just use it for internet and rarely iTunes. I got it mainly for the screen and the fact that I cannot afford to purchase a new computer for at least 5-6 years. So I wanted something that will last me.

On a side note, I do use it for processor heavy tasks every now and then.

16. je1ani macrumors 6502

me lol although I have final cut etc installed.. I just like knowing I can do something big if I wanted to..

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

it used to be only those but recently i've been editing more photos and doing a lot more video conversions/DVD ripping for iPhone/iPod.

Also my new virtualization requirement means i now often push my computers a lot.

18. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

im not gonna lie. As of right now i want to use it more than that. But with the endless apple computers at the office, i never really need too. its basically my portable hard drive where i store all my pics and music. I will do a littttttle editing on it, but not really that much.

i wish i used it to its fullll capabilities. like you said before i could settle for a MB (black)

19. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Me, too

I use it pretty much for the same stuff, with occasional forays into Photoshop and Quark. I really wanted the 17" screen and, most especially, the backlit keyboard. Plus, it looks fantastic.
    You could have settled, but you wouldn't have been happy.

20. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd say the majority of people do. Very few people actually do "professional" things on their computers. They just fall for Apple's marketing scheme (my laptop is aluminum, therefore I am a PRO!!!) :^)

21. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

I laughed really hard when I saw *facepalm*. A ridiculously awesome response to a ridiculous question.

22. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

"Pro" didn't mean a thing to me. As I said, big screen and backlit keyboard did it. Give me those two things in a MacBook, and I'd be happy to save a grand.

23. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Not me :)
    Aperture, Photoshop, After Effects, and I use it as my mobile windows gaming computer.

24. ivan1234 macrumors regular

I have a high res 17'' mbp as a desktop replacement and I don't run any cpu intensive apps either. I bought it primarily for the screen however, because I do research everyday and Iam also move around a lot (campus, work, home, etc.)

If you feel you don't need a mbp then by all means sell it and get a mb. Its a little more portable and I find it to be a lot sturdier as well.

25. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Me.

I was tired of using a computer that was way behind the technology curve (did that for at least six years) and wanted to be ahead of the curve, or at least right with it. I also bought for the future and wanted to be set for at least three years. So far, no disappointments. I'm still very pleased with my MBP, and I'd make the same decision again.

I got a refurb 2.33 for $2,000, so I figure it's $500 every six months if it's two years, and obviously less than that if it makes it a third year.