Anyone want a larger iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Black Diesel, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Black Diesel macrumors regular

After owning an iPad for awhile now I'm feeling like I'm wanting more real estate on the display. I would love an iPad with 15" screen, or maybe somewhere in between a 13" and 15". I think this would be a great tool for photographers and many others who don't necessarily need more power but just want more real estate....any rumors of apple releasing a larger iPad?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

YES please! One of the reasons I don't like the iPad is that the screen is too small. And yes, I know I have a Kindle that is smaller, but I use it to read, which is completely different.

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Well the iPad would require more power to drive the larger screen and all indications are the next iPad will be Retina as well. Carrying a 15" device is not nearly as portable as the current size of the iPad.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Count me in.

14" iPad please. And a 7.85" as well.

5. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors regular

I use my iPad when laying in bed or on the couch, I think a lot of people have them for this reason. Therefore portability is not a concern for me. In fact this would be a reason to own two of them, one for portability (current size), and one for better viewing pleasure at home.

6. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

7. Black Diesel thread starter macrumors regular

No, I own a MBP. The MBP's are not as comfortable to hold when lying/sitting down, not as easy to pass around the table when people are over, etc...

8. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

If it goes up to a 15 inch screen it might wind up being the same weight as the new MBP.

9. 07dodge macrumors member

They already are:confused:

10. rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

need bigger screen and active digitizer

A larger screen model with an active digtitizer (wacom) pen would make for a much more powerful design and note taking device. I see this taking off on the win side now--whether it will sustain momentum is unclear. I also find the larger win slates to be better techinical readers. I think people greatly overestimate the importance of portability to ipads success--i have never taken my ipad out of my home, but find it very useful when I don't want to sit at a desk. Retina on ipad and/or laptop is not an important selling point to me

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I'd love 12 or 13 inch. 15" seems maybe a bit large, I'd have to hold it to decide. The power is no problem, since you would have an awful lot more space for batteries. Of course, it is not as portable, but that's always the compromise: You want it small when it's in your pocket, and large once you take it out.

12. irDigital0l Guest

Nah, I like its size.

If I wanted something bigger I'll just get a MBA.

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I find the current size to be perfect for my needs. I've seen some of the larger tablets (I think by Asus or Acer) and they look ginormous. Almost to the point of being awkward so a larger iPad definitely isn't for me. A smaller one? Maybe as I'm sure that would appeal to a lot more users.

14. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Absolutely not. The actual size is just perfect.

15. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Any larger and holding the iPad in portrait would feel weird like my Transformer Prime. I'm fine with with the current size.

16. skywalkerr69 macrumors 6502a

skywalkerr69

The Retina is very easy to pass along the table, its as thick as a couple pieces of paper.

17. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

Yes.

When the iPad 1st launched, and before I saw one for real, I saw in being demo'd on the internet, think they were using small women/Chinese/midgets or something, as in their hands the iPad looked quite large.

I ordered one, and as soon as I unpacked it (my large hands) I was like, OMG, it's much smaller than I though :(

I'd happy have a tablet a few more inches in size, 14" at least.

Without ANY Question, If Apple did make say the 10" and say a 12" or 13" model then many, and I mean many millions of buyers would opt for the larger model.

I'm not sure of the percentages, but I'd guess the larger model would be very popular.

----------

Is the size of screen on the iPhone perfect also by any chance? :D

----------

But not everyone needs their tablet to be portable.

I have owned my iPad since the very 1st launch day and it's been out the house twice.

Weight is also a non issue, I don't stand up holding the iPad is free air, It's either on the bed, on a table or on my lap.

Whilst I admit, light and thin are to nice things, it could be twice and thick and twice as heavy, and, to be honest, it would not be THAT much of a deal.

Twice not a lot, is still not a lot.

18. iEvolution macrumors 65816

Portability is one of the key features of tablets over laptops, to make it bigger would defeat the portability. I certainly wouldn't want to lug around a 14" tablet.

19. Hello... macrumors 6502a

Hello...

20. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Hard to imagine holding it in one hand and typing with the other. It gets to a point where a laptop is simply more convenient. Not certain of where that point lies, but it's well below 15 inches.

21. gopnick macrumors regular

I suspect many women would enjoy having more than 12", but most men would find it uncomfortable. Wait, what are we talking about? :p

I personally wouldn't buy a larger model. The one they have out now is perfect for me. If I can carry something bigger, I'd rather use a MBA anyway.

I *do* like my 17" MBP, but apparently I was like the OP in that regard: I was in a small minority.

22. transphasic macrumors member

The size it is now is perfect - and I've spent enough on cases and wouldn't want to spend more for a new-sized device. Keep it where it is.

23. rowspaxe, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

rowspaxe macrumors 68000

rowspaxe

I don't think apple should abandon current ipad size, but that they should consider a second larger tablet for engineers, students and designers. I would throw down for a !7" slate--for art and technical reading--at pricing consistant with mbp

24. G5isAlive macrumors 6502

I agree with the people that point out that any larger would be difficult to hold with one hand. At some point it would require a stand and that takes away from how it is used. It could be a bit bigger, but not enough to really make a difference.

So that's a vote to stick with the current size for the iPad. I am still not sure if I want my computer to have a touch sensitive screen, though no doubt one day they all will be.

25. iCrosoft macrumors regular

iCrosoft

A 55" to replace my Plasma display would be great.