Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I for one love the size of the iPhone's screen, it is perfect to me. Anything larger isn't necessary, and I think it would make the phone more prone to accidents (cracks, etc).

I see other phones boasting with larger screens, but I think the screen size of the iPhone is great. Just what I need in regards to a cell phone.

I have an iPad if I need a bigger screen, so Please next iPhone stay the same size!
If the screen became more flush to the sides, I can live with that I guess. I still would have concerns about the strength of the screen when dropping or sitting on it.

This is my opinion of course. What are your thoughts?

It makes no difference to me if Apple decides on making larger size iPhone's, so long as they continue to make the current 3.5" screen. I am happy with that size and have no desire to get a larger phone screen size.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
For me its a tough one. As far as I'm concerned the my iPhone 4 screen is THE BEST screen I have ever seen on a mobile phone period!, due to that magical PPI retina resolution. And I am MORE then happy with the phones compact size, I just find it a bit too heavy but that's it!
So I am way more then happy for them to keep the same screen and size, yet I can also appreciate if it was a bit bigger, 3.7 or 4" would be acceptable BUT ONLY if the PPI was 320 or more and ONLY if the phone was the same size as the current design or fractionally bigger and I mean factionally.

I have to say though I REALLY love my iPhone 4 design, the bezel is nice and big enough to allow my hands to hold the phone and thumb type and as I said the screen is awesome, 3.5" is big enough. I would love a slightly thinner and lighter device with the same 3.5" retina screen and same width and length and a dual core A6 CPU at 1ghz with 1gb ram and a dual core PowerVR Series 6 GPU, capacitive home button and a Sony Ericsson 12mpx 1080p camera. And LTE support. Perfect :D:D

Last edited:

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I for one love the size of the iPhone's screen, it is perfect to me. Anything larger isn't necessary, and I think it would make the phone more prone to accidents (cracks, etc).

I see other phones boasting with larger screens, but I think the screen size of the iPhone is great. Just what I need in regards to a cell phone.

I have an iPad if I need a bigger screen, so Please next iPhone stay the same size!
If the screen became more flush to the sides, I can live with that I guess. I still would have concerns about the strength of the screen when dropping or sitting on it.

/signed

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I'm going to need bigger eventually. Looking at this screen strains my eyes. I'll be blind if by the iPhone 7 if they don't increase it a bit.

I'm not even really concerned with PPI. I'd give up a couple unnoticeable PPI for a little more real estate.

typeadam

macrumors regular
May 16, 2010
Hated the monster 4.3" on my EVO.
Loved the 4" on my Nexus S.
Now on my 4S (and my first ever iPhone), I REALLY miss the size of the Nexus S.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?

This.

normwood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2008
In a house...duh!
Yes! I am perfectly fine with the current size. The whole "gotta have a huge friction' screen" is Android nonsense to try to make up for the fact that the Android OS is fragmented piece of poo.

The side of my 4S is PERFECT!

Steve

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Yes, but unfortunately it will be 4"+ for the battery for LTE. However, I'm on AT&T, so LTE is irrelevant, and I won't be upgrading for a long time.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I like the screen exactly as it is. And going off of Apple's pattern of making things thinner, smaller, lighter, etc...I doubt we'll ever see an iPhone screen bigger than 3.5. In fact, I imagine at this time next year...Android phones will be receding back to the 3.5-4 inch range...rather than the 4.3+ thats happening now.

I don't see Android screens getting smaller or larger for that matter. Most Android phones are between 4"-4.6" with 4.3" being the preferred size of most. The Galaxy Note is the exception, but that is more of a small tablet then a phone.

If Apple decides to make the next iPhone a 4G LTE device and add a more powerful processor I don't see it getting thinner, smaller or lighter. Even the next generation 4G radios and antennas are still going to consume more power then comparable 3G devices so it's going to take a larger capacity battery to have acceptable battery life. A larger screen will allow them more room to install a better battery. Like it or not an LTE iPhone is likely to grow in size.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
4 inch would be perfect...4.3 max

I do not want a 4.6 or 5 inch giant monster.

Bigger screen = more battery which could make it heavier, thicker, etc.

farkingdom

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
I'll say 3.5" is still the best for a phone. And its screen size is one of the reason I chose the iPhone over those humongous Samsung Galaxy Note. I can easily slip it into my pocket, take it out to make calls and stuff- after all, it's just a phone.

Apple introduced the iPad for those who want a larger display screen. If anyone wants iOS on a larger screen, then they should just get an iPad instead, not an iPhone.

3.5" is Apple's iPhone standard size.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
4 inch would be perfect...4.3 max

I do not want a 4.6 or 5 inch giant monster.

Bigger screen = more battery which could make it heavier, thicker, etc.

I do not believe 4g will make the iPhone heavier or thicker. Other phones are just as thin or even thinner then the iPhone already and as for weight, Apple only needs to change the case materials, replacing the back from glass to metal or plastic for one would reduce weight.
I also do not think that a phone must be bigger just to have 4g radi either.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
A 4 inch screen would be a good size and won't take up much pocket estate granted the samsung galaxy 2 is over 4 inch, but to answer the question yes its time apple increases the size the competition will on kill them in the latter if apple don't think about these little things and besides with a ton of apps and games available in the appstore it wouldn't hurt to try them on a bigger screen (not the iPad)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.