Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Necrotique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2012
I think we all know what I mean.
The people who've been local customers for years or decades and are now faced with a future of non-upgradeable, dispensable laptops from Apple.
But wait, they're really thin!
We should create a petition to show them that we won't purchase from them anymore if they don't bring the old form-factor and common components back.
I don't think I want to buy a new laptop every 2 years, and they could easily have just put a retina display on the current form factor.

I'm half-asleep so I can't articulate my point entirely, but this is basically for all the people who feel let down by Apples greed and want to let them know they've potentially lost future business from us.

busterbluth

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2008
I agree that its wrong, but one can argue that what apple takes away with these abilities, they more than make up for with amazing design and innovation (we will have to see how these speakers sound and the fans work to make a real judgement on this). Have you see the latest non-apple laptops, they just finally got around to designing them like the first unibody MBP, and now they are back to the drawing board. I will accept that lack of upgradeability to own an amazing laptop that probably won't need it anyways.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Yes, because clearly Apple only released the Retina MBP and no other models.

I'd wait until iFixit or someone else tears down the new machine and then we can see if the RAM and SSD are replaceable or not.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
The people who've been local customers for years or decades and are now faced with a future of non-upgradeable, dispensable laptops from Apple.
We should create a petition to show them that we won't purchase from them anymore if they don't bring the old form-factor and common components back.
I don't think I want to buy a new laptop every 2 years, and they could easily have just put a retina display on the current form factor.

I'm half-asleep so I can't articulate my point entirely, but this is basically for all the people who feel let down by Apples greed and want to let them know they've potentially lost future business from us.

how "WE" feel LOL. i don't NEED the new macbook pro, but am deeply impressed...check the video on the apple site for design details.

things move forward; you can move with them...or not.

iMusings

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Trust me, they won't care.

They are too busy fielding orders of the new Retina Display MBPs that is seeing its ship time increase from 1 week to almost a month.

The only way I can keep remaining a Mac user is if I am that "faithful" or that "idiotic", and I am still not sure which ought to be the right word.

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I buy a new laptop every 3 years or so. I don't think it is too much of a problem. I would rather have a thinner non-upgradable device.

However, I think Apple needs to be very clear about it not being upgradable. I almost made the mistake of not getting what I wanted thinking I could upgrade it later.

Necrotique

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2012
how "WE" feel LOL. i don't NEED the new macbook pro, but am deeply impressed...check the video on the apple site for design details.

....and it's that type of complacency that led to the consumer losing power.

@imusings + /dev/toaster - it's a real pity and I do wish they'd think more of the consumer, though I know they won't.

People will buy anything with an apple on it, paying premium prices for a slight spec bump. I think this is a bad turn for Apple. Not bad for their profits but ethically bad.

I wonder if I can stick a retina 15" screen on my 2011 MBP? :rolleyes:

css136

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2008
The one thing I agree with is the lack of upgradability. It's bad precedent when businesses start selling products with built-in lifespans

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada

:D

Yup.. I do not know that I dislike it really.. Pick ANY Hi-Priced Tech Item and let me know how much 'upgradability' is offered.. Maybe The Engineers got it right, maybe not.. Most computers have a 2-3 year use cycle it seems, although I am happy to say my past three (3) MBP's have been sold off to friends and worked very well as I upgraded..

Time Will Tell.. Once Again.. as it always seems to!!

:rolleyes:

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The one thing I agree with is the lack of upgradability. It's bad precedent when businesses start selling products with built-in lifespans
It doesn't have a built-in lifespan -- if that were the case, my 2006 MacBook would've died long ago, but it remains usable to this day. The Retina MBP will be the same.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
I did by not buying it. I bought the regular MBP 2.6ghz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD 7200RPM drive with plans in the future on replacing the ODD with a SSD and 16GB RAM.

This is just how the market works - supply & demand.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
I don't think I want to buy a new laptop every 2 years

It's a good thing Tim Cook isn't holding a gun to your head.

Do you really need a retina display that bad? If it wasn't released today, you'd never miss it.

trollbert

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2012
It's not like it comes with 2gb or even 4gb of ram. The low-end is 8gb, which is more than enough for most consumers. Maxing it out at 16gb isn't that much more expensive anyway.

I just wish they would allow you to upgrade the size of the SSD without having to purchase the higher-end model for $600 more.

Vexed

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
Apple doesn't exist to please you, it exists to profit. I'm willing to bet they even calculated the risk of you giving up on Apple after this update, and they determined it was worth it. I'm sure they're smiling their asses off as those back orders pile up too.

Rmafive

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Seriously you need to stop complaining! I am assuming that by soldering the ram to the motherboard it saves quite a bit of space, especially when you are talking .71 inches! The only difference in upgradability between the retina and standard mbp, so far, is the ram. Just get the max ram for $180 and you can still upgrade the storage down the road. Apple is not looking to make an upgradable notebook, they are looking to make a beautiful notebook! :apple:

iMusings

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
....and it's that type of complacency that led to the consumer losing power.

@imusings + /dev/toaster - it's a real pity and I do wish they'd think more of the consumer, though I know they won't.

People will buy anything with an apple on it, paying premium prices for a slight spec bump. I think this is a bad turn for Apple. Not bad for their profits but ethically bad.

I wonder if I can stick a retina 15" screen on my 2011 MBP? :rolleyes:

When they started having sealed batteries I already knew this is on the cards. With the latest soldered memory and SSD chips, all I am getting is an overglorified iPad with a keyboard.

Thanks, but... no thanks. I actually need my Mac to do work so I too am quite at a loss what to get once the older (fat) MBP is discontinued.

Will probably switch over to the Windows camp.

EasyRider

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2008
When they started having sealed batteries I already knew this is on the cards. With the latest soldered memory and SSD chips, all I am getting is an overglorified iPad with a keyboard.

Being a little over dramatic there? You are in the small minority. I am actually happy there is no removable batteries. And I would happily give up upgradable ram and hd for a sleeker laptop. Been a computer user for some 20 years. And always used to buy upgradable PCs... wich I never upgraded because it was just as cheap/easy to sell it and buy a brand new one with a faster processor.

Apple is making the right moves... their sales and growth proves it.

iMusings

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
Being a little over dramatic there? You are in the small minority. I am actually happy there is no removable batteries. And I would happily give up upgradable ram and hd for a sleeker laptop. Been a computer user for some 20 years. And always used to buy upgradable PCs... wich I never upgraded because it was just as cheap/easy to sell it and buy a brand new one with a faster processor.

Apple is making the right moves... their sales and growth proves it.

Okay, if you say so.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I agree that its wrong, but one can argue that what apple takes away with these abilities, they more than make up for with amazing design and innovation (we will have to see how these speakers sound and the fans work to make a real judgement on this).

I am curious about the fans, I do not care about the speakers.

Thing is... No amount of "amazing" design and innovation makes up for "nothing they sell can do what I want my computer to do".

Have you see the latest non-apple laptops, they just finally got around to designing them like the first unibody MBP, and now they are back to the drawing board. I will accept that lack of upgradeability to own an amazing laptop that probably won't need it anyways.

And I will accept a laptop that looks like a functional object I could actually use, in exchange for being able to get something that costs less and is dramatically more powerful and expandable.

Thing is, I really want OS X. I think at this point, the best I can do is buy a mini and a PC laptop, and turn the PC into a hackintosh and leave the mini in the box to roughly preserve licensing equivalence.

iMusings

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
I am curious about the fans, I do not care about the speakers.

Thing is... No amount of "amazing" design and innovation makes up for "nothing they sell can do what I want my computer to do".

I too am curious about the fans, the 2 legged kind.

It really seems like Apple is full of fans who does nothing except sit in starbucks all day and sip latte.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Thing is, I really want OS X. I think at this point, the best I can do is buy a mini and a PC laptop, and turn the PC into a hackintosh and leave the mini in the box to roughly preserve licensing equivalence.

I'm sorry, Apple is clearly not for you then. If you like OS X so much, your only option is a hackintosh.

All of the people clearly upset over Apple's business strategy are better off acting upon their threats and engaging Apple directly with their criticisms (and taking their money elsewhere) rather than venting on a forum that means absolutely nothing in the long-run. I'm not saying this to single you out or in response to you, just a general statement.

Really people, Windows 7 isn't that bad, and all of the hardware options you yearn for are over there.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
I do find it disconcerting that Apple is "fanning" ; ) their irregular fan design as a major achievement (really, Jonathan Ive, a fan?). Apple got rid of their opitical drive and 17" MacBook Pro but we got a new and improved fan? For sure the MacBook Pro's retina display is a major improvement but other than that I am hoping that Samsung (or some other company) will respond swiftly. Don't get me wrong, I am an Applephile but competition is always good. Someone needs to hold a flame to Apple's butt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.