Anyone who has left the iPhone for a different phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 14, 2009.

?

Did you switch to a non-iPhone? Are you happy about that?

1. I switched and I can't imagine going back to the iPhone.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  2. I switched but I miss the iPhone.

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. I switched, but I've switched back to the iPhone since.

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. I haven't switched, but I am thinking about it.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. I've given up all phones completely.

11 vote(s)
    26.8%
  1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

What are your thoughts. Have you regretted it? Did you return to the iPhone after a while?

Has anyone been happy since getting rid of their iPhone?

2. alansaysstop macrumors regular

I honestly think someone would have to blow me away with another phone to get rid of my iPhone. Like that thing better get me better MPGs in the city or something.

Hate blackberrys, too old for a sidekick, not a fan of how bulky the latest htc phones have been.

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Out of curiosity, which phone did you end up getting TheSpaz? (I haven't followed your recent rise to fame of late) & what are your opinions on it?

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

You still haven't returned yours yet? If you thought there were defects in the iPhone, I would not recommend switching to any other phone unless you get a Vertu: http://www.vertu.com/

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Hey, we are in the same place right now.

I'd considering getting a B&O phone, but that would get old after a while.

6. ronnyuk macrumors member

I can't see me leaving the iphone camp for a while yet, I came from Nokia and still own a N95, N95-8gb and a N96, all are ok but the Iphone is in a different league, It's the smoothness I love and I use my phone a hell of a lot, to give you an example I have to charge my phone from empty 2-3 times a day.

On a recent trip to Amsterdam I did use my N96 because the camera and video are amazing, but day to day in the UK my iphone is the weapon of choice :)

7. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

Vertu phones are so idiotic. Why would I want a phone made out of gold, that has a tiny screen like the old Nokias? No thanks.

8. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

In the Spaz's case, the pixels would be aligned correctly, there would be no creaks, no light leaks, it can send MMS, the case wouldn't crack.

My post was mostly a joke. I was essentially saying there isn't many phones can can match the build quality, function and scratch resistance (screen) of the iPhone.

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

I left my 8GB iPhone for a 16GB iPhone 3G last summer. I felt pretty guilty about getting rid of it...

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I switched from a brand new iPhone 3GS (32GB) to a used, cracked, and scratched up iPhone 3G (16GB) running 2.2.1 because I didn't like the iPhone 3GS build quality and screen. I love my iPhone 3G screen and other than the cracks that I put there, I can't complain about the build. It's a great phone and 2.2.1 makes it almost as fast as the iPhone 3GS.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I went from the iPhone 2G to the 3G, then to the 3GS and now I switched to a G1 (Android Dev Phone 1). I love the G1 to be honest. Android is a nice looking, refreshing OS with openness that really allows app developers to code anything, from replacement mail apps to replacement SMS apps, etc. Also, I do enjoy having the physical keyboard on the G1. All in all, it a solid device. But will I switch back to my 3GS? Hard to say.

12. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

My brother went from iPhone (First gen) to HTC Tilt. Then he didn't like that so he went to a Moto Q, then to a iPhone 3G. Then he wanted the Blackberry email thing so he went to a HTC Fuze (Touch Pro). Then he didn't like that, so back to iPhone 3G. Then to a Nokia N97. Now he's selling his Fuze and N97 to buy a BB Curve.

13. samcraig macrumors P6

"It's a great phone and 2.2.1 makes it almost as fast as the iPhone 3GS. "

In your mind only. Scientific tests and data prove otherwise

14. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

2.2.1 is pretty fast for me. 3.0 was so sluggish on my iPhone 3G that it made the 3GS look like a rocket. 2.2.1 is better, but still not as fast as the 3GS but, it's faster than 3.0 on an iPhone 3G, so I say 2.2.1 is almost as fast as the 3GS.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

And again I say that it's been proven otherwise. It might be faster than 3.0 on the 3g you had. But the 3gs is exponentially faster - not "almost" as fast

16. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I have 3.0 running on my 2G iPhone and in speed terms its barely any different than 2.whateveritwas. A tiny bit of extra lag opening apps or closing them, but I'm rarely in so much of a hurry than a handful of milliseconds aggregated over a few hours during the day makes much difference.

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

"Almost" isn't an exact measurement. Launching apps on 2.2.1 next to an iPhone 3GS is only slightly behind. I'm being serious. It's about a half-second difference.

What is your problem?

Also, I forgot to mention. I'm not just talking about launching apps, but animations are smoother and the graphics are better looking (in my opinion). 3.0 is pretty ugly as far as design goes.

18. matttye macrumors 601

I miss the iPhone.

Someone I work with has just got an iPhone 3G and it made me realise how stupid it was to sell my old iPhone 2G. I'm saving up for either a 3G or 16GB 3GS.. not decided yet.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

al·most (ôlmst, ôl-mst)
    adv.
    Slightly short of; not quite; nearly

Again - benchmark tests have shown the 3gs to be MUCH (not almost) faster.

I don't have a problem other than you misrepresenting facts. That's all :)

20. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

3.0 on the 3G sucks, 3.1beta on the 3G is awesome... it doesn't lag like 3.0.

21. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Give me links to these tests. Because honestly I had 2.2.1 on my 3G and went to AT&T and did side by side with the 3GS and there was maybe 1/2 second difference.

Now that I have 3.0b1, next to the 3GS at the same store there is no difference.

Yeah I know that Apple says it is 2X faster on their website. If that's all you're going on then...

22. venasque macrumors member

After all that and he STILL isn't happy? I'm thinking he is expecting too much from his phones and/or is only excited by the "newness" of a product and quickly becomes bored.

I shudder at all the money he has thrown away with his ADD. :(

23. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Switched from a 3G to a BlackBerry Javelin. I miss some aspects of the iPhone, but overall I am very happy with the switch, and won't be switching back.

24. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I own both the 3G and the 3GS, there is no comparison, the 3GS is MUCH faster.

25. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

He doesn't have ADD.

He just likes gadgets.

And if he gets a new phone, he's usually pretty good about throwing the old one on eBay, so he makes up the cost (We have 4 lines, he can use an upgrade on any line pretty much, and since we have a FAN discount, and we pay over $150 a month, we get upgrades every year).