Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Missus' birthday coming up and the pre-order window here in the UK is closing for me. Really need to decide between the 42 or the 38 without asking her.

She has skinny asian girl wrists. Could be 4inches!

I think she'd have a slight preference for the 42mm as it'd be easier to use menus etc, but fit wise the 38mm seems like a better option.

Any ideas/experiences?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
If the plan is to simply wear it as a fashion item (oversized and loose), then sure. But don't expect to use the heart rate monitor.

I don't think 4" wrist is even possible...unless you're malnutritioned.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Missus' birthday coming up and the pre-order window here in the UK is closing for me. Really need to decide between the 42 or the 38 without asking her.

I think she'd have a slight preference for the 42mm as it'd be easier to use menus etc, but fit wise the 38mm seems like a better option.

Any ideas/experiences?

42 will look ridiculous.
the 38 on a 5 inch wrist

Attachments

• watchhhhhhh.jpeg
    watchhhhhhh.jpeg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,652

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
What size watch does she wear now? 4" is incredibly small. I've got small wrists at 5.25".
I got the 38mm and that looks right on my wrist, and is comfortable; it's the first watch in a very long time that I've had that's comfortable (protruding wrist bone...).
That said I looked at a 42mm the other week and it actually isn't that bad. But I have two additional straps, one being the modern buckle so I'm going to stay with the 38.
Depending also on what she will do with the watch, the 42 has a bigger battery so in general is lasting longer (has been true from day one).

Reactions: AppleKarma and TJ82

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks guys, no clue her actual wrist size, would be too obvious if I tried to measure it so close to her birthday. Maybe 5 is more likely.

Her current watch is a tiny Longines thing. Hardly wears it anymore. Watch face really is tiny, very old fashioned style.

How do you find navigating the menus, and just generally what's the 38 like to live with Aniseed?

I saw this picture while doing some research and it put me off the 42 for her. Looks oversized.

img_1019.jpg

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Thanks guys, no clue her actual wrist size, would be too obvious if I tried to measure it so close to her birthday. Maybe 5 is more likely.

Her current watch is a tiny Longines thing. Hardly wears it anymore. Watch face really is tiny, very old fashioned style.

How do you find navigating the menus, and just generally what's the 38 like to live with Aniseed?

I saw this picture while doing some research and it put me off the 42 for her. Looks oversized.

img_1019.jpg

It's not been off my wrist during the day for 2.5 years, I'm just about to spring for a v3. Scraped it down walls, you name it (have the SS), the only gripe is the battery quite often will not last 12 hours any more. I actually prefer the weightier SS to the sport as well. Perhaps that's because I've had some lumpy sports watches in the past - Fenix 1 being the worst!
Now they've made the passcode buttons bigger in WOS4 that was probably the worst bit (and yes I know I can unlock my phone but that's usually downstairs!).

I use a few 3rd party apps such as pennies and Omnifocus quite a bit but they aren't too bad (I'm only dictating new items in OF and ticking off done ones with a big circle to hit so no issue). Rest of the apps are in the main consumption only (dark sky, calendar).

For me the calendar has rapidly become essential - I use the modular face, with the calendar complication in the middle, and it's like having a little PA on my wrist telling me where I need to get to as I end up in a lot of meetings...

Reactions: TJ82 and AppleKarma

Jayne Doe

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
my wrist is a little under 5 inches. the 42mm covered the entire top of my wrist and more. more importantly though, none of the 42mm bands fit. they are all way to long. even of the bands for the 38mm watch, not all are small enough.

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I wore the 42 for years and it wasnt too bad....I have tiny wrists too...6'3" tall, man, with skinny wrists. My 8 year old has bigger wrists than me already. lol

Anyway, I switched to the 38 and enjoy it so much more. It just feels better and not as clunky.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
i was deliberating this for myself this week.
just went to the apple store and tried them.

the 42 isn't TOO much bigger. my wife said go with 42.

It would really all depend what her main use would be.
if its for text, email and stuff, the 4mm does make a difference in reading them.

i guess worst is, if its too big, you can always exchange?

JennyG1000

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2016
You could measure her old watch for the wrist size. I consider my wrists tiny, maybe because I have pretty large hands. My wrist is at around 5.75 in and I would think 42 is borderline. See the photo of Vivoactive on my wrist next to 42.

Attachments

• 89BB1EFC-7E71-4788-9921-E057F1E65C16.JPG
    89BB1EFC-7E71-4788-9921-E057F1E65C16.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 719

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
I have very small wrists (5.25") and the 42 looked rediculous on me. I can't even get the mellannese band because it's too long and comes over the face of the 38 a bit. Had to go with a leather and the 38.
Get her the 38 or it will look redic!

Reactions: AppleKarma

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
While not shot exactly at the same angle and range, you can see how the 42 and 38 sizes on my 6.25" or 160mm wrists.

While I can get away with a 42, I think the smaller one looks more like a watch, and not a display on a wrist.

Attachments

• IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3201.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_3196.JPG
    IMG_3196.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 769

Rkuda

macrumors regular
May 23, 2016

Any ideas/experiences?

If the wearer has a skinny wrist then definitely go for the 38. The 42 looks ridiculous on guys with skinny wrists and even worse on women IMO.

I also found this Youtube video which you can see a Japanese woman with the 42:

Relavant part starts at 11:21

Reactions: AppleKarma and TJ82

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Thanks guys, 38mm it is. This thread really helped. Was stuck for a while there.

Need to decide colour now, was going for the rose gold but that video above of the girl in black made me think she’d like that better. She tends to like black. The rose gold with pink strap would blend in better for her at work though..

Reactions: AppleKarma

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Thanks guys, 38mm it is. This thread really helped. Was stuck for a while there.

Need to decide colour now, was going for the rose gold but that video above of the girl in black made me think she’d like that better. She tends to like black. The rose gold with pink strap would blend in better for her at work though..

One of the things with these pictures people post is they try for ages to get a good angle. Just look at people in real life and you will see how ridiculous a 42mm looks on most people.

will0407

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2006
It's down to preference. I have scrawny wrists and use the 42mm with an 'm' leather loop (which only just fits!) or s/m nike band if I'm doing sports. 42mm still looks fine.

My g/f probably has bigger wrists than me but has the 38mm as she preferred the smaller size.

Reactions: eVolcre

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
One of the things with these pictures people post is they try for ages to get a good angle. Just look at people in real life and you will see how ridiculous a 42mm looks on most people.
In my opinion the only time the 42mm is not going to look rediculous on small wrists is when they slim the profile down. And then just maybe.

Reactions: Zxxv
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.