Anyone with skinny wrists and a 42?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TJ82, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Teride macrumors regular

Apr 19, 2015
    I have a really small wrist +5” and I have always had a 42” watch. The only issue I have had is with some of the bands,ie-Milanese loop I have to make the smallest and it really could be a little tighter. But the watch looks fine.
  2. JennyG1000 macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2016
    If she does not like girlie look, than rose gold may not be the best choice. It is cute though. It is even tempting to me and I love black, my IP7 is black, but for the watch I picked silver. It is versatile and you can get aftermarket leather bands in variatey of colors that will work with silver. See Wineandcarbs links, the combinations look good.
  3. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2008
    We sound similar, I prefer black for most electronics (my iPhone 7 is also black) and find the rose gold pretty but feel it wouldn't match my wardrobe as easily/well as black or silver. I ultimately went with silver because it seemed the most versatile to me too.
  4. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    I was in Best Buy yesterday and tried on the 38mm and 42mm Series 3 they had on display. It was clear that the 38mm looked better on my wrist. However, the 42mm didn’t overwhelm my wrist either. Wearing the 42mm made me immediately think of my large face watches that I have at home now, it almost just covered. I wear them as much as my regular face watches.

It does sound like the 38mm may be what would prefer since she has a small face watch already, but depending on what her uses for the watch will be, she may want the 42mm. Since the 42mm has a longer battery life, 16GB of memory vs the 8GB in the 38mm, and more screen real estate to make use of, I’m personally choosing it over the 38mm.

With smaller wrists and going 42mm, the key, IMO, is the fit of whichever band on the watch. When trying on the couple of watches in Best Buy, I found the SB to leave too much gap space on my wrist, even when I pulled tighter on the band. It didn’t mold the way the Nike band did. I imagine the Milanese band will fit even better. Fortunately, we aren’t beholden to the band that comes with the watch with the plethora of options available.

I’m sure she’ll love this gift you’re getting her regardless.

Coincidentally, my husband is getting me the Series 3 Watch for my upcoming birthday this year as well. I just preemptively told him that it was what I wanted so there wouldn’t be any misunderstanding about what to get me, lol.
  5. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2011
    series3 38mm has 16gb too
  6. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2010
    I still can’t decide either. Had the 38 for over two years. Thought I’d go bigger with S3.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    Here’s another 42 on me. Too big?

Attached Files:

7. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    Wait, you’re right! I must have read something wrong because I clearly remember reading initially that the 38mm only has 8GB, but I just googled again and yep, it’s the LTE vs the GPS where the memory matters. Size doesn’t matter there.
  8. Leica Dad Suspended

Leica Dad

Sep 28, 2017
  9. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Nov 13, 2011
    It’s the angles though. Look at someone from say 4m away and it often looks god awful. People have the tendency to angle their arm to flatter themselves but they ain’t fooling anyone who is stood across the room wondering why they partened such a monstrosity with that outfit.
  10. predation macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2013
    I have slim wrists too. I measured my wrist and it measured 150mm.

I'm borderline. 38 would probably LOOK btter on me, but I'd rather have the screen real estate
  11. anyjungleinguy macrumors regular

Mar 6, 2012
    I got my Series 0 back in 2015.

Wrist size is just under 7”/about 170mm and I went for the 38mm.

I haven’t yet decided whether I’ll bump up to 42mm. Going to have to go and try some again.

I’m a 6’2” guy.
  12. bruinsrme macrumors 603

Oct 26, 2008
    someone recently posted this
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    I work in a hospital environment. I am amazed at how may people have the 38. Not just people of small stature.
  13. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2008
    I think 170mm is one of those wrist sizes where you can truly go either way. Both look good.
  14. edhchoe macrumors 6502a

Oct 28, 2011
    I have 6" wrist and wear 42mm. I use 38mm bands, however. And I use lug adapter for 22mm bands.
    42mm watch bands make the watch too large on my wrist.
  15. Farrellcollie macrumors 6502

Apr 23, 2011
    This is why I got the 42
  16. SoN1NjA macrumors 68000

Feb 3, 2016
    living hell
    My first Watch was a 42mm and it was fine for then, even made fun of mates who had a 38mm and just said they couldn’t afford the larger one

But now that I have a 38mm SS with Link and a 38mm SB I love it, as I said I can pull the 42 off, but the 38mm looks normal

No clue as so how small my wrist are, they seem smaller than before

Hell I even see guys who have a 42mm and I think it looks ridiculous on them

- Guy
  17. AppleKarma macrumors member

Dec 10, 2016
    I'm a woman with 5,5" wrist and I have the 38mm... I think the 42 would look too big on me.

18. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    Yeah.... so after further trying on the Watch while in a couple of different Apple stores, I’ve leaned towards getting the 38mm. The only time the 42mm looked good on my wrist was with the space grey aluminum or SS. I figured it was the slimming effect of the black blending into one piece. They looked good, but I know I want either the silver aluminum or SS and when I tried on the those, the size difference stood out much more.
  19. TJ82 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2012
    What size is your wrist natural star?
  20. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    Last time I measured, 5.25” around.
  21. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Feb 22, 2009
    My wrist is 5.25" as well. When I tried on the 42mm it looked hideous on me. When I looked straight down on the watch I couldn't even see any of the band. The watch itself went from top edge of my wrist to bottom. Went with the 38mm SS.
    Also I went with a leather band because again, the Sports band looks too large on me.
  22. satchmo macrumors 68000

Aug 6, 2008
    While slimming, I found a 42mm SG w/black band and display (turned off) can also appear too much of a huge black mass on my wrist.

I find pairing a SG with the new grey or cocoa sport band offsets it slightly to give it bit of separation.
  23. naturalstar macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2012
    I loathe the Apple Sports bands. They don’t mold to my wrists at all. The Nike bands are much better that regard. I’m considering the 38mm SS more and more.

Yep, I want something that looks like a watch on my wrist, not a computer screen.
  24. DotCom2 macrumors 68040

Feb 22, 2009
    The Sports band on me doesn't wrap around the edge of my wrist properly and leaves a rather larger gap. I feel that something might get caught in that GAP and Yank me back to the Coast!
  25. phantasms macrumors newbie

Nov 3, 2010
    Brewster, NY
    I have small wrists. My first Apple watch was the 42mm because bigger is better right! When I got the series 2 I went with the 38mm and I would not could not ever go back. It simply looks better on my wrist and I lose nothing except for a little battery life which isn't a problem.