Anyone with the Aluminum MAC Book who wishes they bout the 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kp98072, Mar 12, 2009.

1. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I'd say there are one or two folks who regrett buying the unibody MB and wishes they bought the NVidia whitebook instead,....same thing massively cheaper to buy !

2. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I went from the old MacBook to a 15" Pro. At first it was a bit hard to get used to the portability, but after a week or so I got used to it and I love it. If you don't need the graphics card, get a MacBook and a nice monitor. You probably could get a nice 24" or even 26" for the money you save.

3. MM07 macrumors 6502a

Almost the same here. I came from a Toshiba 15.4 and I am very used to my MacBook's 13.3.

I just got a 19" monitor to have more space at home.

4. Bruce Wayne macrumors newbie

Actually its 160x800 more on the side and 1440x100 more across the bottom. You might not see the difference while surfing the net, but someone that is working with Photoshop or Pages that extra resolution is a handy place to stick palettes and inspectors.

That said, I prefer the smaller screen. If the MacBok had the same quality screen as the Air I'd replace my blackbook tomorrow.

5. viperguy macrumors 6502

viperguy

My Macbook fits me perfectly for college!
    It's portable, light and the screen is great for pages and keynote!
    :apple:

6. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

:rolleyes: I'm not talking about having more windows spread out, side by side. I'm talking about having partially visible windows, allowing them to be more easily accessed, once again, without using Exposé. Or palettes in Photoshop. Or tools in Word. The extra real estate certainly allows that. It's not a matter of perception. Bigger = more space. Higher resolution = more space. It's more space.

For argument's sake, I just switched the resolution to 1280 x 800. Oh wow, what do you know? I lost a significant amount of screen space.

Think what you want. Continue to derail this guy's thread. I don't care.

I'm not saying it's better. I love the size of the MacBook. But there's a difference in screen real estate, and it's useless to argue otherwise.

7. kabunaru Guest

I have a 13" MacBook and I wish I had something smaller, not bigger. Something like an 12" PowerBook G4.

8. VladM macrumors regular

:(:(:( Quite right. I am teh stupid. :(

9. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

10. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

My macbook is perfect, however a higher resolution would be nicer.

11. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

I had just recently gotten the MacBook and I was concerned about moving from a 15.4" laptop to a 13.3" laptop because I liked the bigger display. However portability was more important to me so I settled on a MacBook. In the end I don't even realize the difference and I am happy with the size of my screen. Would I have been happier with a MacBook Pro? Possibly but I doubt it. I got a 2.4ghz MacBok and that kinda made my day with the light up keyboard. And also I can actually use my laptop in the cramped train seats now. Yay!

12. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

I have the 13 and don't want the 15. The screen is much nicer on the 15 but everything else about the 13 I like better. Absolutely no complaints about the performance on this thing. With an SSD upgrade it's a screamer.

If I had to do it all again I probably would have went for the Air instead though. I went for the Macbook first, then got an Air too. If I had gotten the Air first I probably wouldn't have gotten the Macbook too.

13. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

The 13" is the PB G4 replacement...it's all about the widescreen now - unless Apple make a netbook we won't see 12" again , even if they do make a netbook my guess is it'll be about 10"

14. shiftmx05 macrumors newbie

I couldn't agree more. I came from a 17" dell inspirom and I don't miss the bigger screen one bit on my MacBook alu. Best of luck to you, you'll love it no matter what you get!

15. james-thescalie macrumors member

I think I should have gone with the 15". Really regret it now that im desperate need of a firewire port :(. and i guess the extra space would be good for when im using logic and reason ... hmm

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I absolutely love my 2.4 UMB. It is by far the best notebook I have ever owned. It is the closest thing Apple has ever made to a successor to the 12" PB. I am constantly amazed at how much power this little guy has. The only significant reason to get the 2.4 UMBP is for the discrete graphics. Sure the screen is better, but as far as I'm concerned all the complaints of the UMB's screen are way overblown. I'm quite happy with it and if you are planning to do serious graphic work, you ought to be using an external monitor whether you have the 13, 15, or even 17 inch MB's. Don't get me wrong, the 13" is quite adept at processing graphical work, but I just don't think any laptop has the proper screen to do the bulk of your design work on.

So, I don't regret my UMB purchase at all. It is fast, robust, and a perfect compromise between power, size, and efficiency. The 9400M is light years beyond the old intel integrated. I use Photoshop, InDesign, Logic, GarageBand, and Aperture on a daily basis and my MB takes all that I throw at it like a champ!

17. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i had a 2.4GHz MB alum for about 4 months, but got fed up with the screen quality. Plus, I wanted something slightly larger to watch movies on. I took advantage of a recent 20% live cashback promotion and bought a new 2.4GHz MBP alum on ebay for $1550 shipped. If it weren't for that deal, I would have stuck with the normal MB since they both perform the same. However, the MBP screen is sooooo much better I'm glad I made the change. The weight is about the same, but the difference in dimensions is very noticeable.

18. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

thanks--do you have any issues or notice a big difference when carrying the mbp around vs the mb? my main concern only is portability.

19. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Me too, but something even smaller. Something like the 8" Vaio P.

20. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I just don't get why the MB screen is so awful. The best in the world? No. But I find it to be pretty good. Definitely doesn't bug me enough to drop $1500+ on another computer.

21. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

i haven't been carrying it around much, but the overall size of the unit is very noticeable compared to the 13". i think i just need some time to get used to it, but i don't see it being a problem in terms of portability. it'd be best to go to the apple store to see one in person.

well i sold my old mb alum for 1400, so the upgrade to the pro was minimal. the mb screen is great when viewing dead-on, but at any other angle, especially when watching a dark movie, it becomes difficult to view and at times washed out.

anyways, a little bit of history: this year, i've been on a search for the perfect laptop. i've tried a white mb, mba, msi wind, asus eee 1000h, and mb alum. performance and form factor were my main criteria; the mb alum was the closest to being perfect (minus the screen). because of this, i decided that if the weight difference was minimal, upgrading to the 15" would be perfect, especially if I could find a good deal on it. i mean, the screen is something i look at 100% of the time, so i want to be happy with it (esp when paying 1500+ and plan on owning it for awhile).

22. kp98072 thread starter macrumors member

TRUST ME!! you dont want the viao, i have an 11" and is awful, you can hardly see the words on the screen and you cant zoom in like the mb! dont do it please...!!!!! That was my $2100 mistake :((((

23. GrannieSmith macrumors newbie

I had a 15.4" Vaio and hated it. Screen was awful, keyboard started wearing off after six months of use, froze and crashed at the drop of hat - hideous.

I sprung for a 13" Macbook and worried about the loss of screen space. I don't miss it. The only thing I regret is not going the distance and getting the backlit keyboard - because the other night I could really see its virtues - mainly because I DON'T have it.

Granted, I'm far - WAAAYYY far - from being the computer whiz/expert/geek/aficionado most of the folks on this forum are, but I know what I like, and I'm very happy with my purchase. But if there are features on the MBP you need or want, then you should go ahead and get one.

And I have to admit - while I realize the Whitebook is a good deal, I'm in love with my snazzy trackpad. :cool: And now that I'm learning how to use it, Expose is possibly the coolest thing I've ever had on a computer.

In short, I don't miss my two or so inches - no matter what the other girls have said. :D

24. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

I said I want something similar. As my second machine. It's much easier to carry an 8" - 10" "net"book everywhere I go and keep my 15" MBP on my table.

25. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

i like the idea of the 15 inch pro but i enjoy the portability of my 13 inch more.

I have a 23 inch monitor at home if i want more real estate