Anyway to undelete/recover iPhone files? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pubjoe, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pubjoe macrumors 6502

Hi,

My iphone froze yesterday all of a sudden after around 8 Months working fine.

I was stuck with the "please connect to itunes" screen and after trying everything else, I ended up with no choice but to system reset it, then re-activate it afresh.

(By the way it is hardware unlocked with geohotz method).

Anyway, now I've lost all my photos etc (of course - I didn't back up! :mad:)and was wondering if there is anyway of runnig a file-recovery program to "un-delete" some of the files that might still be salvagable.

I guess the problem with consumer recovery programs is that they usually only support FAT32/NFTS. What file-system does the iphone use?

Any hope??

Thank you for reading. :)

2. TommyLee macrumors regular

It is impossible. The iPhone doesn't use a hard drive like your computer does. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

3. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Agreed, there isn't a recovery method for the iPhone, at least, not one I have ever heard of. That's what you get for using a hardware unlock, random failures at random times. I have no sympathy for you.

4. blacksocks macrumors newbie

If you did a backup/sync in iTunes, your data are safely tucked away in a database in your computer but you need another tool to extract and copy back to your iPhone.

Check out this nice tutorial from menooB.

5. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

recover iphoto photos..temp folder?

same problem with me here.

somehow during transfer of photos and video to iphoto the program stuck, so I forced quit the iphoto and i disconnected the iphone from the computer.

i think that if i choose to import and DELETE the photos (as opposed to just import and LEAVE photos in iphone) this is when the program stucks. In the past, I managed to recover from same problem, in next sync.

I have a very precious video I need to save somehow. I understand there is no hard drive in iphone but i was wondering if there is at least a TEMP or BACKUP iphoto import folder where the video / pictures are saved before ending up in the iphote library.

any ideas? please please please ...

6. alfred1986 macrumors member

There are apps available for problems like these in the appstore itself..try it.

7. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

can you please help and suggest 1 or 2?

8. pubjoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I'd forgotten I'd asked about this.

2 years (and 2 iphones) on... I wonder if those files are still salvageable! :D

Thanks for the heads up anyway. It's worth bearing in mind and to check out the app store if I ever need to in future.

:D Errr.... okay. For what it's worth it was the only way to use an iphone in the UK at the time. But I don't remember wanting sympathy. Didn't I just ask if there was a solution?

9. davidemm macrumors newbie

If you have a backup on your computer from before the data was deleted (iTunes automatically does backups when you sync), you can extract it from there using iPhone Backup Extractor.

(Instructions for finding voicemails here.)

10. shane1800 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Someone delete photos/video from my camera roll before I backed up.

Is there a way to recover these?

I did not find any apps in the store as suggested or find any software that can do it from reliable companies.

Thanks!

11. itsadoozy macrumors newbie

12. petalino macrumors regular

can I undelete or retrieve deleted photos from my Iphone?

I have deleted a few important photos from my Iphone. Is there a way to get these back?

The phone has not been synched with these photos.

Thanks

13. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Most likely not, since they haven't been synced.

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Aren't the photos saved in the iTunes backup? It may not have all of them, but when you back up your phone I think if you restore from a previous backup then you could possibly retrive them. I may be wrong, but I read somewhere a long time ago that it was an option. Have you ever backed up; not sync'd but backed up?

Once you do that, grab those photos (if it works) and then restore from the latest backup. Of course, you want to back up today then grab that previous backup. It is worth a try imo.

16. petalino macrumors regular

I have not synched since the photos were taken.

Here is the full story:

I rented a car in Florida. Took photos of a few minor scratches when I accepted it.

Returned the car and since the case was closed for me, deleted these photos.

Now the car rental company claims damage to the back door and has charged me $250 on my Credit Card.

I am disputing the charge with my bank, but it would be nice to have the deleted photos as proof.

17. petalino macrumors regular

18. petalino macrumors regular

19. Joined:
    Jul 18, 2011
    Unfortunately not, but what I do is at the end of the day I email those pictures to myself or sync that way I'll have it in my email.

20. petalino macrumors regular

A little late for this now.
    But thanks

21. Sharina macrumors newbie

Wow .... really?

OK this completely baffles me... I have downloaded and tried many different photo recovery tools and none of them will recognize the iphone in order to scan it for deleted files. Unfortunately ***** happens and I just cannot believe that Apple does not offer an "undo" for accidental immediate deletions.

So --- is there really absolutely no way to retrieve a photo from your un-synched, un-backedup iPhone once it has been deleted? I just find this so hard to believe...

22. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

i know there are ways to get back deleted things on windows but obviously we are not dealing with windows here. the beauty of macs, and i know we arent dealing with a mac here either, is that once you delete something it is gone :D

im sorry i couldnt help.

23. DDSNetCo, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

DDSNetCo macrumors newbie

After iPhone is detected as portable disk in windows, you can use file recovery tool to recover the deleted pictures.
    I have tried and successfully recovered pictures,
    FYI also works for android based ones too =D

24. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Bummer. Hope you can recover them somehow.

I use the EyeFi app to sync my photos wirelessly, but looking forward to iCloud syncing in IOS5 to make it a little more seamless.

25. skamel macrumors newbie

Can you tell me the steps to recover ?!

Helloo there,,
    I have been trying to make my computer the iphone as a portable disk to get it scanned by a file recovery tool but it just doesnt detect it as a drive.
    it shows as a "digital Camera" and this is not detected on the recovery software.
    if you have successfully done it ,, i would appreciate if you can let me now how to recover my deleted photos, videos, data from my iphone and how to do that...

THanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.