AP Exam 2011, tips for studying?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wordoflife, Mar 18, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

So I just looked at iCal and realized how close AP exams are! :eek:
    I mean, they aren't that close, but they kinda are. I just realized how much I have to catch up to be prepared for these exams. This is my first time taking AP, so I'm not sure what to expect or how I should study.

I'm taking Art History, World History and Human Geography. I know I'm completely screwed for Art History.

Do you guys have any tips for prepping for these exams? :eek:
    Are any of you guys taking AP? And what are you doing to prepare?

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

This is my first year taking AP classes also.

I'm taking AP US History, and AP Chemistry.

I'm screwed for AP Chemistry. Even if I spend countless hours studying, I still only get like 60% on tests. I'm basically giving up on the AP Exam. Shooting for a 3, when in VA, every college requires a 4 for credit.

For studying, I have bought Barron's AP Books for both subjects. I took a practice exam in the AP Chemistry one already. And will study my ass off for this exam.

I think I'll do fine on the US History one.

3. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

fireshot91,

The AP course is supposed to be very similar to the course that would be found at a university, and the AP exam is supposed to be very similar to one that you would find as a final exam in a regular university course. It's too bad that both conditions can be false. Good luck on your AP waivers. They're nice for saving money on tuition and personal time that could be used for other courses.

4. ender land macrumors 6502a

For the AP chem exam I went through an entire study book nearly cover to cover.

Worked well enough :)

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I took the AP Chemistry test. Didn't do that good. Got a 3.

At any rate, the test is comprehensive entirely in the first section (section A?). Then the second section is mostly to test your knowledge of how well you understand what goes down.

The final section (Section C) is mostly lab stuff. Remember, you are supposed to have 3-4 hours actual of AP Chemistry per week plus a 1 hour lab at minimum. That was it with me back in '06.

At any point, review your exams, review your notes. Do two practice tests. Do take your labs seriously. Never read the book cover to cover, that will mess you up Also do not, at any cost, CRAM IT. Take your time, took me a month to study everything. You will never learn everything in a week, much less the night or two before.

As per Human Geo... take a week studying. The test is easier than what I thought.

6. ender land macrumors 6502a

*shrug*

Realistically 'studying' for the AP Chem exam should merely be reviewing material you already learned in class throughout the year. If this has not happened it will not make a whole lot of difference how you actually study for the exam.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We continuously reviewed the material, but I still did the on-my-own review. It paid off because I found small details omitted in class that ended up appearing in the exam.

8. Manacit macrumors member

Manacit

I'm doing AP Government, AP Econ, AP Chemistry, AP Lang, AP Lit (weird thing my school does, I don't know why..) and AP Calc AB.

Last year I took AP Physics B and AP US, ended up with a 4 on both, which I'm pretty happy with. It's going to be a fun two weeks this year though! Good luck to everyone :)

9. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

There's some pretty good replies here :)
    I have review books for all AP subjects I am taking. I plan to also look inside the textbook as well except for art history. That textbook is over 1500 pages long and I just don't have time for that. Hopefully the Baron Review book for AP Art Hist. will be useful. I'm more concerned about human and world though.

I need to start putting a solid hour or two into studying each day. I've got a month. :)

@Manacit : Did you take a regular physics class before doing AP Physics?

10. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

11. wordoflife thread starter macrumors 604

wordoflife

It stands for Advanced Placement classes which are in highschool, and are usually equivalent to college undergraduate classes.

See more

12. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

For AP history, I found this giant AP review guide on someone's website. It was extremely helpful. Search on google for some review guides; you never know what you may find. =)

Other than that, I just did some practice problems in those AP books, read over my notes, and took the test.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I would not say they are equivalent at all to college courses

14. ender land macrumors 6502a

My initials?

:eek: