Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BryanSchmiedele

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
Overland Park, KS
My wife has a MacBookAir which I have set up for her. I have connected an external disk and set up Time Machine.

However, she often (really almost all the time) forgets to eject the external drive before disconnecting her MBA. And if a Time Machine backup is running, she really doesn't know how to skip a backup. The result is that very often she will receive the dreaded "This drive was not properly ejected."

I would like to find or build an App that I can just stick in her dock and tell her to run this before disconnecting the MBA. I would like the process to detect and skip a current backup if it is running, and then eject the disk, and then pop up a message "You can now disconnect your computer" or something like that.

Is there an app that does this, or can an automator action or AppleScript accomplish the same thing?

Thanks,

Bryan

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Well, then she'll have to remember to do that. I would almost think a desktop sticky reminder might be easier so it's always there for her to see (including adding Stickies to her startup items).

Reactions: kryten2

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
Example:
AppleScript:
--skip a current backup if it is running
do shell script "tmutil stopbackup"
--eject the disk
tell application "Finder"
eject disk "volume_name"
end tell
--or
do shell script "diskutil eject /Volumes/volume_name/"
--pop up a message
display dialog "You can now disconnect your computer"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.