App on lockscreen based on location

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Did the feature that places an app on the lockscreen based on your location make it into the final ios 8? I remember it in the beta, but I've never seen the feature on my phone.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks. Never noticed that in the settings. It's turned on, maybe it takes a while to get enough data about how/where you use your phone. You'd thnk after 2 weeks it would start displaying something at least sometimes. Wish it would just always show the most relevant app.

What made me think about it today was I could have swore I saw an app there as I was unlocking my phone today, but I locked my phone right away and it was gone, so I thought maybe I was going crazy/crazier:D.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Well you have to be near a place in order for it to work so I don't know if I've been near the required places lately.
Is it based on Apples recommendations? Or your own usage? If I'm at work, and always use the iFart app while working, would it learn this and display it?

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Is it based on Apples recommendations? Or your own usage? If I'm at work, and always use the iFart app while working, would it learn this and display it?

I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's recommendations for store apps but you may be on to something. I'll have to read into it more.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure it's recommendations for store apps but you may be on to something. I'll have to read into it more.
I see. That's how I was thinking it worked, was based on my usage. If you find more info let me know. Thanks

Random hero

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I've noticed it twice, once was at highcross shopping centre where it popped up with the Apple Store app and second was when I went for a meal and it popped up with the Argos app (argos was next door to the restaurant)

Interestingly both of there were on my iPhone 5 running iOS 8, not seen it anywhere on my 6 yet

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Now that I know what exactly it does, I'm going to have to pay more attention. But sounds like the apps I have wont really ever show up, not too many retailers and things like that in my app list

mercuryjones

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2005
College Station, TX
Now that I know what exactly it does, I'm going to have to pay more attention. But sounds like the apps I have wont really ever show up, not too many retailers and things like that in my app list
It will also show apps that you don't have installed. I was near a Best Buy the other day and the icon displayed. So I logged in and it took me to the App Store selection for the Best Buy app.
I've also had the Apple Store app and Starbucks pop up several times.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
It will also show apps that you don't have installed. I was near a Best Buy the other day and the icon displayed. So I logged in and it took me to the App Store selection for the Best Buy app.
I've also had the Apple Store app and Starbucks pop up several times.
Oh, that's kind of cool. I thought it was just a quicker way to access your apps, didn't know it suggested apps. Now I'll definitly pay more attention to it. Thanks

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
It works for me. If I go to dunkin donuts there app will show up on the lock screen and I can swipe right to it. If you don't have the app, an App Store icon will show up and it should open to there app in the store.

I've also noticed it does this with my pebble if it's connected but the app hasn't been opened.

Handoff apps will also show up in the same place.

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I was at Meijer and finally noticed that I had the Meijer app on the LS. I then went to Costco but the Costco app didn't show up.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
Works for me, too. I was near an AT&T store and the AT&T app icon appeared in the lower left corner of the lock screen.

Also happened with the Starbucks app -- and my Starbucks card also popped up from Passbook.

Prospekt

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
I live above a CVS so sometimes the CVS icon pops up in the bottom right corner (i don't have that app installed)

Also I get it when I am at my university with my school's app

MacTCE

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2013
Upstate NY
If I'm not mistaken this works based on the iBeacon technology. So it the store doesn't have that setup I don't believe you'll see an icon.

Tiptizzle

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2011
If I'm not mistaken this works based on the iBeacon technology. So it the store doesn't have that setup I don't believe you'll see an icon.
That might be it. I work at Walgreens, but have never seen the app on my lock screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.