Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While several sites have reported that 10,000 iPhone Apps have been released into the App Store, the actual number of active iPhone apps that can be downloaded is about 9,676 as of today's count. The discrepancy comes from the fact that many apps have been removed from the App Store for various reasons (trademark infringement, discontinued apps, pulled and released).

Still, the 10,000 active app mark should also be broken in the next few days. Games continue to dominate the App Store with 24% of all apps, followed by Entertainment (11.6%) and Utilities (10.9%). Games also seem to dominate the Top 100 paid and Top 100 Free apps.

Apple originally launched the App Store on July 11th with only 500 apps. Due to its success, several competitors have plans for their own version of the App Store.

Article Link: App Store Almost Reaches 10,000 Apps

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

there is a flashlight app? Omg that would be useful enough to post 4000 different versions!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
10,000 apps
16 flashlight apps
23 tip calculator apps
37 news apps
43 to do lists
826 "social networking" apps

Still, an impressive number for Apple.

Auzburner

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2008
Syracuse, NY - USA
The more we get, the better selection and competition for us, the customers... The only problem is finding the good ones worth using and consuming our time. With such a high number, some greats are going to be brushed under the rug and never seen, but in all this is an exciting number! 10,000!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
The more we get, the better selection and competition for us, the customers... The only problem is finding the good ones worth using and consuming our time. With such a high number, some greats are going to be brushed under the rug and never seen, but in all this is an exciting number! 10,000!
Agree.

Ten thousand apps is quite an accomplishment.

With this kind of popularity, we may see new touch hardware. :)

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Yes, there's almost 10,000 apps, yet all the good ones seem not to be available to Canadians.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Good and bad... It's nice to see developers supporting the iPhone, but there are so many bad apps it can make it tough to find the good ones.

With this kind of popularity, we may see new touch hardware. :)

We may, but I think the biggest reason that iPhone apps are so successful isn't because of the interface, but because everyone figures it's incredibly convenient to have a nice app on their phone, since they always have their phone with them anyway.

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
Yeah, the app store is pretty awesome; especially with so many great apps that are free. I have yet to pay for a single one.

But I can't help thinking that things would be so much better if Apple would impose less restrictions and allow the apps to have more control over the iPhone/touch.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Very impressive....I recall Palm OS users using that number(sometimes it was 30,000 apps) for Palm OS, impressive how the iPhone has neared that number so soon

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
JEEZ.
That's a crap load of apps.
And by crap load I mean that the majority of them are crap.
About 20% of them do the same exact thing as another app.
Then another 10% are light versions.
I think that after Apple hits 20,000 they should go out and filter all the pointless ones.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Another vote for more quality apps. I haven't been tempted to drop any dough lately. Besides Fuzzle, Caissa Chess, and Netters the apps are leaving me wanting. I've a graveyard of apps on my HD that have only briefly seen the light of day. There's almost too many apps to sift through looking for quality. Even with recommendations from the forums or touch arcade or appshopper.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Regardless of "pointless" or not, there is a huge selection of apps from games to password makers and dictionaries. Again, read the last few lines, a bunch of companies will copy Apple, as usual. For example, Dell/Sony/HP copied Apple's AIO concept. *Sigh*

nado

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Wouldn't it be nice if every app had a "license" field linked to it, like MacUpdate has? "Free" and "lite" versions of apps should go in shareware/demo, allowing to exclude them... It sucks to have the top 100 free littered with junk I can finish within five minutes!

branjosef

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I wonder how many of the games are crappy useless advertisements for some upcoming movie or something, but under the guise of a game. You know alot of hotels in the United States purchase art for their rooms and lobbies from companies that have that have warehouses full of artists in places like china that sit and paint all those pictures like they are on some assembly line. I wonder if the big movie studios have a warehouse filled with geeky programmers that are continually churning out iphone games for their latest CGI blockbuster hit. Has anyone played the useless "bolt" game. 10,000 apps of which maybe 1% are worth anything. We have the "wooo button" app, the zippo lighter app, about a thousand "learn to speak another language" apps, and countless social networking apps all of which promise the experience of a lifetime. Oh I forgot to mention the numerous bible apps each offering their take on holy forgiveness and sanctuary for a convienent low price. Nothing beats getting your bible on using the worlds fastest smartphone, unless you live in England of which that statement has been banned because those speeds have been exagerated. :D

-sorry for the rant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.