Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The main problem is App Discovery, & that can ONLY be fixed if AAPL lets Devs sell their apps OUTSIDE of the App Store.

If that we're to happen, then, I believe, a cottage industry would very-likely immediately be created to assist such Devs promote & sell their apps via their own websites.

I have NO problem with using AAPL for the financial transaction part of it under that scenario.
What does discovery have to do with where you ultimately purchase/download the app?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple should implement Google's hassle free way to get automatic app refund by simply uninstalling the app within two hours. No artificial barriers or hoops to jump through and simplifies the need for free trial.

And, I'm all for supporting devs through lower rates until Apple figure out how to increase marketshare otherwise devs will end up jumping ship to a platform with much greater marketshare.

Last edited:

thogin

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I could of been somebody. I could have been an app developer, instead of a bum, which is what I am.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
  1. Considering the amount of ad-supported apps in the App Store, I can't help but think there's a shift back to paid apps being considered due to expected drops in ad revenue due to GDPR compliance.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What reason would Apple have for now allowing trials? Seems like it something that would benefit everyone.

Just this morning I was thinking of buying Pocketcasts, but I wanted to see how well it worked for me before I purchased it. Elected to shelve the idea instead of purchasing - a free trial would have been ideal.
I don’t get why Apple is against trials. But as far as the 30% cut I don’t see that changing any time soon. The biggest drivers of Apple’s services revenue increases are Apple’s cut of App Store sales/subscriptions and iCloud storage. So basically Apple is bragging about IAP and that they’re stingy with cloud storage. But, so long as Wall Street is looking for a services narrative (and hardware sales are mostly flat or down) Apple will continue with its AppStore policies and being stingy with storage.

Martius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Prague, CZ
Well as a webdeveloper I have to say that 70/30 is not a bad rate. Apple deserves the 30 because they provide really good tools to create apps. Apple has been quite lazy testing/polishing their software lately, but it doesn’t mean they are not working hard. After all, if you create a great app you don't really need that another 15% to make a good money. I wish the hardware was a little cheaper, that's where is Apple greedy.

tranceme

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
California, US
Good for them. Apple doesn’t deserve a 30% cut of their revenue for basically doing nothing.

I love it when people think infrastructure is free. Apple is hosting their applications worldwide. I download an app in seconds anytime I want.

So, everyone here complains. Well, then just go to another platform. Then Apple will change. My neighbor does not have a single Apple product and survives just fine. Actually seems to happy about it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Wow, I love how people keep complaining that Apple is not deserving any cut but yet Google and Microsoft has nearly the same revenue sharing model and they have both the largest market shares (Android/Windows). Apple isn't the only one and they're certainly isn't a monopoly.

MS is lowering their revenue share to 85/15 for app store refs while bumping it to 95/5 if they are linked on the app's site directly later this year but that may be a sign of MS Store not working out well.

Google is 85/15 if it is a sub. I think that's the case but I don't remember if it is sub only.

Apple lowers to 85:15 if the customer has been a sub for more than year.

Good for them. Apple doesn’t deserve a 30% cut of their revenue for basically doing nothing.

Have you ever run a business on your own? No developers say Apple doesn't deserve a cut. Maybe lowering it down yes but Apple is doing a lot that most developers don't have to do. Apple handles the transactions (which is not free anywhere, every service requires a fee), hosting (definitely not free), and so on. Microsoft and Google has the same revenue sharing too.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Apple should not be taking a cut from a subscription service for someone elses company.

Reactions: 69650

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
It's clear that Apple would rather there be no paid apps at all, and all apps had subscriptions instead. They favor that approach in nearly every policy change that has been made since the App store began. I don't like it, but think it will take quite a bigger effort to get Apple to change it's viewpoint on this.

I agree. They are moving everything towards subscriptions.

They don’t want trials because then you might not buy the app. You’re less likely to try to get a refund for a $2 app than you are to not buy that app in the first place.

Growth for Apple is in services. Personally I don’t like this. It doesn’t feel like the Apple of old, the hardware company, but it’s the new reality. Give it a few more years and I imagine everything on the App Store will be subscription only, just like I imagine iTunes purchases will go away one day.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
The app store is headed for the same fail as purchased iTunes music. Apple weaseled its way out of the purchased music business and it will do the same with apps. All you "valued" devs had better save your nickles -- you will need them when Uncle Tim unveils the new and improved contract and payment terms.

Apple is still very much in the purchased iTunes music business last time I checked.

keatth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
What reason would Apple have for now allowing trials? Seems like it something that would benefit everyone.

Just this morning I was thinking of buying Pocketcasts, but I wanted to see how well it worked for me before I purchased it. Elected to shelve the idea instead of purchasing - a free trial would have been ideal.

Did watching a YouTube video review of the app ever cross your mind?

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
The Developers Union is hoping to persuade Apple to expand free trials to all apps, not just those that offer a subscription-based service. Free trials also must include an authorization for payment at the end of the trial, something developers would also like to see eliminated.

Uh no, sorry. Authorization for payment should always remain as opt-in, not opt-out. These devs can go pound sand.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Wow, I love how people keep complaining that Apple is not deserving any cut but yet Google and Microsoft has nearly the same revenue sharing model and they have both the largest market shares (Android/Windows).

Difference with Google is you're getting access to ~90% marketshare while Microsoft recently dropped their cut to 10% so Apple's cut should be around 15% to be more inline with industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69650 and ShaunAFC3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.