App Store Experiencing Widespread Search Issues [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 5, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A significant number of users on Reddit and Twitter, corroborated by multiple tips we have received, are affected by an ongoing App Store issue preventing a number of popular iOS apps from showing up in search results unless already installed, including Google, Periscope, Spotify, Tidal, Tumblr, Uber, Vine, Waze, and many others.

[​IMG]

The search issues appear to be widespread, affecting iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch customers throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe, Hong Kong, and elsewhere since early Thursday morning. Apple has yet to update its System Status page with any reported issues as of 6:00 a.m. Pacific, but it has historically been slow in reflecting outages.

Update: The search issues also appear to extend to iTunes and the Mac App Store.

[​IMG]

Update 2: Apple is aware that users have been "experiencing a problem with the App Store" since about 2:00 a.m. Pacific. Apple is "investigating and will update the status as more information becomes available."

Update: Apple's System Status page indicates the App Store issues were resolved shortly after 8:00 a.m. Pacific. Search results now appear to be functioning normally.

Article Link: App Store Experiencing Widespread Search Issues [Updated]

2. TheAnimal macrumors member

You can still use Google to find and download apps. Easier to do that regardless of whether app store search is working anyway. :(

3. stefanwittwer macrumors newbie

4. Murdocke macrumors newbie

Murdocke

Lol so searching eBay brings up Amazon and apple music brings up Spotify xD if i search apple will it bring up google?

(Don't ask why I posted the page by the way xD) :p

5. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

"including Candy Crush Saga, Google, Spotify, Tumblr, Waze"

hmm - sure that's not a great new feature

6. eNJayBe macrumors newbie

I thought it was a problem with my new phone so good to find out it isn't. The only results I got were really weird and unrelated Apps.

7. RedTomato macrumors 601

RedTomato

A Dark Room isn't showing up either, only a crappy clone.

8. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Isn't this standard for the App Store? Search used to be good, but recently (over the last few months at least) an exact name search has not produced the correct app at all, even fairly popular ones. Google always found them easily.

9. MacStuffAndThings macrumors newbie

I am having trouble with Apple Music too. I can't search for Red Sparowes through iTunes, but doing a Google search for them works just find and will allow me to open a link to iTunes Apple Music from there.

10. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Sounds like there's a silent overhaul going on in preparation for WWDC....

11. joueboy macrumors 68000

12. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

Noticed that searching for iTunes cover art via a third party app wasn't returning results for anything today. Thought it was just a change in coding somewhere that broke the app. Maybe connected?

13. RedOrchestra, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016

RedOrchestra Suspended

iTunes and iBooks searches are awry, as well.

And meanwhile, Apple keeps pushing album art to my iPhone and iPad iTunes Apps - I DON'T WANT THAT CRAP ON MY DEVICES ... it ain't improving my life, it just flat out PMO.

14. echelon5 macrumors member

Well, everybody knows that Apple never updates system status page. I don't know why they even bothered to create it.
    Last time I remember there was an Apple Music outage which took about 3 days and even then they didn't make any tiniest change on it. So Steve Jobs-ish!

15. ShadovvMoon macrumors 6502

ShadovvMoon

Everyone was completely wrong about that other rumour... The 'redesign' to boost Apple Music subscribers isn't an interface overhaul, but a modification to the App Store that hides competing apps like Spotify and Tidal :eek:

16. JSH56 macrumors newbie

And you say Apple is still as good under Tim Cook? LOL.

17. Jsameds macrumors 68040

"App Store Experiencing Widespread Search Issues"

Hasn't that always been the case? :rolleyes:

18. freepomme Suspended

This is why I just got a refund for iCloud storage. :)

19. abrahamw88 macrumors member

abrahamw88

20. cgriffis753 macrumors regular

cgriffis753

Well im glad. i thought i was going crazy. thank goodness i can still google them

21. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

And yet, when you search for Apple's own apps, they're not even there.

Search for 'remote' and you won't even find Apple's Apple TV remote control app which is named just 'remote'. You need google to find it.

It's been that way as far as I know. I can rarely find apps by typing in their names. I need to search them on google, then I get a link to the app store.

22. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Just looked at reports for yesterday and wondered why a few of my apps took a big hit. Thanks for the heads up. I bet this will be fixed before the end of today.

23. WBRacing macrumors 65816

I was wondering where Dropbox had gone! Their rubbish app is still failing so I had to delete it again and didn't want to have to scroll through my purchased list to find it.

I bet they are well chuffed that BOX is currently the top result for "Dropbox"...

24. MH01 Suspended

MH01

just another service outrage/issue. Nothing to see here, move along . If you need an app, use google