Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

App Store Experiencing Widespread Search Issues [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A significant number of users on Reddit and Twitter, corroborated by multiple tips we have received, are affected by an ongoing App Store issue preventing a number of popular iOS apps from showing up in search results unless already installed, including Google, Periscope, Spotify, Tidal, Tumblr, Uber, Vine, Waze, and many others.

The search issues appear to be widespread, affecting iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch customers throughout the U.S., Canada, Europe, Hong Kong, and elsewhere since early Thursday morning. Apple has yet to update its System Status page with any reported issues as of 6:00 a.m. Pacific, but it has historically been slow in reflecting outages.

Update: The search issues also appear to extend to iTunes and the Mac App Store.

Update 2: Apple is aware that users have been "experiencing a problem with the App Store" since about 2:00 a.m. Pacific. Apple is "investigating and will update the status as more information becomes available."

Update: Apple's System Status page indicates the App Store issues were resolved shortly after 8:00 a.m. Pacific. Search results now appear to be functioning normally.

Article Link: App Store Experiencing Widespread Search Issues [Updated]

eNJayBe

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
I thought it was a problem with my new phone so good to find out it isn't. The only results I got were really weird and unrelated Apps.

Comment

MacStuffAndThings

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2016
I am having trouble with Apple Music too. I can't search for Red Sparowes through iTunes, but doing a Google search for them works just find and will allow me to open a link to iTunes Apple Music from there.

Comment

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Noticed that searching for iTunes cover art via a third party app wasn't returning results for anything today. Thought it was just a change in coding somewhere that broke the app. Maybe connected?

Comment

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
iTunes and iBooks searches are awry, as well.

And meanwhile, Apple keeps pushing album art to my iPhone and iPad iTunes Apps - I DON'T WANT THAT CRAP ON MY DEVICES ... it ain't improving my life, it just flat out PMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa
Comment

echelon5

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2015
Well, everybody knows that Apple never updates system status page. I don't know why they even bothered to create it.
Last time I remember there was an Apple Music outage which took about 3 days and even then they didn't make any tiniest change on it. So Steve Jobs-ish!

Comment

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Apple trying to limit competition.. ;)
And yet, when you search for Apple's own apps, they're not even there.

Search for 'remote' and you won't even find Apple's Apple TV remote control app which is named just 'remote'. You need google to find it.

It's been that way as far as I know. I can rarely find apps by typing in their names. I need to search them on google, then I get a link to the app store.

Reactions: 69650
Comment

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Just looked at reports for yesterday and wondered why a few of my apps took a big hit. Thanks for the heads up. I bet this will be fixed before the end of today.

Comment

WBRacing

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2012
UK
I was wondering where Dropbox had gone! Their rubbish app is still failing so I had to delete it again and didn't want to have to scroll through my purchased list to find it.

I bet they are well chuffed that BOX is currently the top result for "Dropbox"...

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.