App Store Updates: iPad Swiping, Chinese Yuan, Kindle Fire Added to Amazon Lawsuit

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

There have been several bits of App Store-related news over the past day, so here is a roundup of some of the more prominent items:

- iPad Swiping: As noted by MacStories, Apple has improved navigation of the iPad App Store, now allowing users to swipe between pages of featured apps and other listings. Users had previously needed to tap navigation arrows to move between pages, but moving to swipe-based navigation makes for a more natural interface and faster page changes.

- Yuan Now Accepted in China: Penn Olson reports that Apple is now accepting renminbi, the local Chinese currency, for App Store purchases in China. With the new pricing in yuan, Chinese customers will no longer be required to make purchases funded by credit cards in U.S. dollars. Apple has also begun accepting payment via local bank cards, with customers able to top-up their iTunes Store accounts with prepaid amounts from their bank accounts to fund their App Store purchases.

- Kindle Fire Added to 'Amazon Appstore' Lawsuit: Despite the fact that Apple has not yet won a trademark registration on the term "App Store", it sued Amazon back in March over the company's use of the term in its Amazon Appstore for Android. A judge declined to issue a preliminary injunction against Amazon in July, and the full trial is not set to take place until October 2012.

With Amazon having just launched its new Kindle Fire tablet, Apple has expanded its lawsuit to address the fact that Amazon is promoting its "Appstore" in conjunction with the device. As reported by paidContent, Apple has also included new claims of false advertising in the lawsuit.

Apple's revised complaint is intended to show that Amazon has continued to use the "Appstore" term even in the face of Apple's prior claims of trademark infringement, hoping to establish a pattern of willful misrepresentation on Amazon's part leading to customer confusion over the app marketplaces. The courts and trademark examiners have yet to look favorably upon Apple's claims regarding "App Store" being an allowable trademark for the company, but it is clear that Apple is still trying to press its positions.

Article Link: App Store Updates: iPad Swiping, Chinese Yuan, Kindle Fire Added to Amazon Lawsuit

razmage

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2010
I've got to say that Apple does have a point with confusion. My brother-in-law swears that I should go to Android from my iPhone. When I say that its not practical because I'd have to re-purchase hundreds of dollars in apps that I use regularly he swore that they would still work because they're from his AppStore for Andriod.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people who believe that because they have the same name its the same across the devices.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
the full trial is not set to take place until October 2012.

Until then, Apple and Amazon are free to pursue each other.

Apple is looking for some form of injunction or penalty against Amazon, though on the trademark grounds Apple hasn't got one yet, and probably never will.

I hope Apple drops the trademark issue. It's clear, at least from a lay perspective, that that's a lost cause.

They might have chance in the "willful misrepresentation" line, however. Probably plenty of fodder there.

I think we're seeing an Apple vs. Samsung-type battle play out here. Pretty soon we'll be seeing Apple vs. Amazon news.

Hopefully Amazon will be a little brighter in the courtroom.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I've got to say that Apple does have a point with confusion. My brother-in-law swears that I should go to Android from my iPhone. When I say that its not practical because I'd have to re-purchase hundreds of dollars in apps that I use regularly he swore that they would still work because they're from his AppStore for Andriod.

I'm sure there are a lot of other people who believe that because they have the same name its the same across the devices.
I'm sure there are. I'm sure there are a lot who understand that an android app store sells android apps and an apple app store sells apple apps.

This lawsuit has nothing to do with Apple being concerned over confusion and everything to do with Apple wanting to keep the phrase exclusively to Apple forcing others to choose names which don't clearly define what it is they sell.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA

Apple is looking for some form of injunction or penalty against Amazon, though on the trademark grounds Apple hasn't got one yet, and probably never will.

I hope Apple drops the trademark issue. It's clear, at least from a lay perspective, that that's a lost cause.

They might have chance in the "willful misrepresentation" line, however. Probably plenty of fodder there.

I think we're seeing an Apple vs. Samsung-type battle play out here. Pretty soon we'll be seeing Apple vs. Amazon news.

Hopefully we will see a better map soon before Apple and Google finally have a b*tch slapping contest in the courts. Its only a matter of time.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

I am as shocked as I am sure LTD will be when I say that I agree. I think this is a lost cause and a waste of time and resources. I don't begrudge Apple for trying - but I think the likelihood of success is nil.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If Apple doesn't own the trademark App Store, why can they sue and such?
"Your toy looks a lot like my toy. What if our friends will have a hard time telling them apart? What if they want to play with and admire my toy, and they instead go over to yours, thinking it's actually mine!?"

Now add a potential loss or gain of hundreds of millions of dollars into this little problem, including branding and mindshare considerations.

There you have it.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
all these lawsuits just seem so childish to me, and some of these patents are just way to generalized... imo. focus on hurting other companies by making better products not suing them over spilled milk. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
If Apple doesn't own the trademark App Store, why can they sue and such?
They applied for it, and Microsoft and I think Amazon protested against it, which is why Apple hasn't been granted the trademark (yet). If/when Apple gets the trademark, they would have to act whenever someone else uses it or they risk losing the trademark, so I would assume they have to do the same while the application is still running.

And when/if Apple gets the trademark, and Amazon was find infringing, then it would matter legally at what point in time Apple told Amazon to stop using it.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Your toy looks a lot like my toy. What if our friends will have a hard time telling them apart? What if they want to play with and admire my toy, and they instead go over to yours, thinking it's actually mine!?"

Now add a potential loss or gain of hundreds of millions of dollars into this little problem.

That's pretty much what this is about.
Quick question - and I won't argue either way with you - just want to know.

Do you think Apple deserves the trademark for App Store. Personally I do not. I think it's generic. I understand the suit. Was just curious if you think it's a lost cause because they don't deserve it or because they do but you just don't see it happening.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
all these lawsuits just seem so childish to me,
It's all "childish" . . . until there are hundreds of millions (if not billions) of dollars at stake, including branding issues that could (and will) have lasting effects for years to come.

kaioslider

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2008
I'm sure there are. I'm sure there are a lot who understand that an android app store sells android apps and an apple app store sells apple apps.

This lawsuit has nothing to do with Apple being concerned over confusion and everything to do with Apple wanting to keep the phrase exclusively to Apple forcing others to choose names which don't clearly define what it is they sell.
You mean like "Android App Market" - yes, very convoluted. It can easily be said that Amazon knows that everyone one associates phone/tablet apps with App Store, and they know that because Apple made it so. And there most certainly is confusion - sure, not for you, me, or most people that bother to post to forums. The fact is that the majority of people just don't' have a clue about the difference between company brands, their products, services, etc.

Creating a unique name of a store where people can buy applications for their android device that isn't convoluted is easy - it doesn't have to be "App Store".

BJMRamage

macrumors 68020
Oct 2, 2007
not to get sidetracked here but this is part of the original post:

I LOVE the new App Store Swiping. I was annoyed with this and told my wife about it last week (just got an iPad on Halloween) and said, "with all the swiping capabilities on the iPad I wonder why I have to hit that tiny button rather than a swipe."

Glad they changed that.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Do you think Apple deserves the trademark for App Store. Personally I do not. I think it's generic. I understand the suit. Was just curious if you think it's a lost cause because they don't deserve it or because they do but you just don't see it happening.
Do they "deserve" it?

Absolutely. I also deserve $100 million and three Ferraris. No, make that four. And a Pulitzer for my latest paper.

But "deserving" and legal and practical ability (while not looking stupid or in legal contempt) are poles apart.

Are they legally entitled to it? (which is all that really matters, since this is the only route [legal] to obtain it.) That opportunity went out the window a while ago. Should Apple still pursue it? Up to them. But it has its risks and could bear negatively on their subsequent legal efforts against Amazon.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You mean like "Android App Market" - yes, very convoluted. It can easily be said that Amazon knows that everyone one associates phone/tablet apps with App Store, and they know that because Apple made it so. And there most certainly is confusion - sure, not for you, me, or most people that bother to post to forums. The fact is that the majority of people just don't' have a clue about the difference between company brands, their products, services, etc.

Creating a unique name of a store where people can buy applications for their android device that isn't convoluted is easy - it doesn't have to be "App Store".
The fact that it has the name in front of it is plenty of information.

My .02

Kar98

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2007
Why does Apple actually think they have a case with the app store suit? IIRC, the first "app store" was the Click And Run Warehouse by Linspire; it just didn't use that name, but with Apple's app store (both phrases being rather common) a catchy name for this kind of software depository has been introduced into common lingo. As far as I can tell, that's the only innovation there.

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA

Now add a potential loss or gain of hundreds of millions of dollars into this little problem, including branding and mindshare considerations.

There you have it.
are people really that oblivious? branding is huge on everything, and it even says it on the product. there are cheap knockoffs and similar products for just about anything but most people seem to know the difference between them, whether based on quality or brand or functionality. especially when buying an expensive product, *most* people tend to do their research first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.