Apple 4th Quarter 2005 Conference Call

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple conducted their Q4 2005 Financial Results Conference call at today. Apple had already announced earnings as well as Mac and iPod shipments this quarter.

MacCentral provides a running update of the conference call.

Hilights include:

- 1,236,000 Macs sold
- 6,451,000 iPods sold
- 602,000 of the Macs were Desktops (PowerMac, iMac, eMac, Mac mini, Xserve)
- 634,000 of the Macs were Portables (PowerBooks, iBooks)
- More than a Million iPod nanos were sold within 17 days of its release.
- Mac OS X 10.4 revenue is approximately $35 million per quarter
- Hints at upcoming iPod-related announcements.
- Intel Based Macs still expected by June 2006. Some "very cool" PowerPCs in the pipeline.

rjstanford

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2002
Austin, TX
That's a really surprising number of desktops sold, considering the overall popularity of laptops these days. And while 6.5mm iPods is impressive, its more telling to me that over 1mm of them were nanos, just because almost by definition these are impulse purchases, since they weren't known about ahead of time. Cool news.

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Apple's dedication to the iPod makes sense everytime they show these type of numbers. You can also see that a large number of sales are laptops. I guess that's why Apple hasn't been as worried as we have with better PowerBooks and iBooks, although I would suppose iBooks have sold more than PowerBooks, of course.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Good all around. I'd have expected the iPods to carry the company through the Intel transition, but it seems like PowerPC Macs are doing that just fine.

I wonder how Apple's education marketshare changed compared to last year. I didn't notice that mentioned. (They did say back-to-school went well.)

Some_Big_Spoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
New York, NY
What I'd like to see is the numbers of PowerMacs and Powerbooks by themselves.. my guess is that those numbers aren't very good. I'll venture to guess that the vast majority of desktops are minis, followed far back by iMacs. Same with ibooks v. powebooks.

Well, hope tomorrow does something for those two lines.

rjstanford said:
That's a really surprising number of desktops sold, considering the overall popularity of laptops these days. And while 6.5mm iPods is impressive, its more telling to me that over 1mm of them were nanos, just because almost by definition these are impulse purchases, since they weren't known about ahead of time. Cool news.

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
So I think all those that think a video ipod (if it comes out) will canibalize Nano sales should think again.

jesuscandle

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2003
Boston, MA
just referred to "some very innovative products" to be introduced in the Oct-Dec quarter.

Obviously doesn't really mean much, but maybe casts some light on tomorrow. That doesn't sound like Powermac speed bumps.

maveness

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2004
I was finally able to get to the webcast page (Investor Relations admitted they'd been having server problems), but the QT of the audio won't play at all.

FRUSTRATING!!!!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Some_Big_Spoon said:
I'll venture to guess that the vast majority of desktops are minis, followed far back by iMacs.
Last we heard (I'm not aware of any recent info) the iMac was the top seller, even after the Mac Mini came out. (I don't see the Mac Mini eating into iMac sales, more into eMac sales and attracting newcomers.) I'd be interested to know how well the Mini has done too, but regardless it's a LOT of Macs sold, and that's good for the platform and the future.

aafuss1

macrumors 68000
May 5, 2002
Gold Coast, Australia
Macrumors said:

Apple is webcasting their Q4 2005 Financial Results Conference call at this time. Apple has already announced earnings as well as Mac and iPod shipments this quarter.

MacCentral is providing a running update of the conference call.

Hilights include:

- 1,236,000 Macs sold
- 6,451,000 iPods sold
- 602,000 of the Macs were Desktops (PowerMac, iMac, eMac, Mac mini, Xserve)
- 634,000 of the Macs were Portables (PowerBooks, iBooks)
- More than a Million iPod nanos were sold within 17 days of its release.
That's a lot more iPods sold than Macs (but PM and PB sales must be doing poorly in light of no updates).

macFanDave

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2003
Some_Big_Spoon said:
What I'd like to see is the numbers of PowerMacs and Powerbooks by themselves.. my guess is that those numbers aren't very good. I'll venture to guess that the vast majority of desktops are minis, followed far back by iMacs. Same with ibooks v. powebooks.

Well, hope tomorrow does something for those two lines.
It's hard to say, but generally things like minis and iBooks have lower margins than PowerMacs and PowerBooks. Apple's margin actually increased this quarter.

Regardless of the composition of Mac sales, I am very pleasantly surprised by the volume of Mac sales. I thought that the looming switch to Intel would cause Mac sales to be much lower, but they were actually quite strong.

I guess that a lot of consumers are not the computer connoisseurs that most of us who read and post here are. I have a dual 2GHz G5 so I am in no hurry to buy a new Mac, but I probably would try to hold out for an Intel-based Mac if I did need a new one.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
AoWolf said:
Hmm is "innovative" stock holder pleasing talk or does that mean something new and unexpected?
Steve probably told him to say that....its the RDF :)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yebot said:
The bulk of the 6.4 million is iPod minis.
But 1 million nanos in half a month is quicker sales than 4 million minis (or whatever the number) in 3 months.

aafuss1 said:
That's a lot more iPods sold than Macs
Nothing worrisome about that. iPods cost $79-399. Macs cost #499-$thousands. And iPods sell to Windows users.

As many iPods as Apple can sell is all good. Good for the Mac: the halo seems to be real, it just works over time.