Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mark!

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
America
people are...sounding racist.

anyway, i like the idea. i dont care who it is. atleast he makes most of his own music, even while it is not good, i still respect him for atleast being real.

but i really don't think apple will make an ugly mac no matter what kind of artist they colab with to make a computer...(which makes no sense anyway)

what name would they call it htough?

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Great idea. With iLife, more specifically Garageband, and bundled with the $99 MIDI keyboard, a lot of young kids can create their own music. Making that dream more accessible will keep their minds of gangs and drugs and everyone will be happy.

Fishes,
narco.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Let's assume they do this right and do work to get a low cost Mac out that is NOT branded by the group's name or image. Apple would have to make a machine that did not compete with the full priced machines. It's really just the "eMac" comcept with could work.

Questions:

1) How best to get these machines into the target group of users? Do you sell them cheap or is it better to give them away to various schols and yought groups? I assume the latter.

2) how low can they get the price? If the machines are only to be given away then they can specialiize the machine to that environment. For example they could be "diskless" and boot their image off the network. This would cut down on Sys Admin cost and save maybe $80 or more from each mchine. Using a CRT based eMac like design could save even more. Such a design would make then unactractive to potential thieves too as the'd by usless without the server and to big to pocket. So they could be placed in less well supervised locations, making them even more accessable I'm thinking maybe a cost to build of $250 each.

johnmcboston

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
Boston
Well, love Macs the way I do....

Why come out with a low cost Mac when these $100 PCs are about to be distributed around the world. Couldn't 50 cent buy a million of these and just give them away?

(btw- who will pay the bigt internet bills for these low cost computers?)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
G-G-G-G-G- UNIT!!!
Imagine that as the start up sound... lol
I too feel negatively about this. 50 cent should just give money to apple to buy mac mini's and end it

commonpeople

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2004
Subiklim said:
Also, most of people on these forums are always preaching to reach out to the minorities, and snaps out at anyone who would say that Affirmitive Action is reverse racism.

When the another race strikes so close to home (macs) you all really show your true colors(no pun intended). What a bunch of bigots.

I don't think so. I think most of us would be in favor of a low price Mac that could be bought by lower income families and possibly even subsidized. What rankles is the idea of the GhettoMac that's endorsed by a dubious HipHop star who's best known for the line 'Get Rich or Die Trying'. I think you'll find for instance that MR posters have a very favorable view of the famous 100 dollar laptop.

AoWolf

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2003
Daytona Beach
iGary said:
So is 5o-cent's sudden interest in the inner city.

Have you even listened to a 50 Cent Album?

His name is racist in nature.

Any thread like this is going to provoke people to scream racism. People will spin it that way no matter what.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. Maybe someone in the marketing department feels Apple is not getting enough street cred?

ijimk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2004
Here
I really doubt it will be 100 bucks. I am thinking it being more along the lines of 300-400 dollar cpu geared towards an educational machine. just my prediction.

50thVert

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2005
St. Louis, MO
Taken from the linked article:

The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal."

I'd damn near guarantee this "organization" isn't non-profit.

geoffism

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2005
NYC
Get rich or die tryin

iGary said:
Is it 50 cents or 50 cent?

It's 50 cent. But you are supposed to say it like "Fitty".

Maybe 50 is just looking for an new avenue to make up for lost revenue on his blockbuster movie? Sell it on iTunes for $.99?

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
commonpeople said:
I don't think so. I think most of us would be in favor of a low price Mac that could be bought by lower income families and possibly even subsidized. What rankles is the idea of the GhettoMac that's endorsed by a dubious HipHop star who's best known for the line 'Get Rich or Die Trying'. I think you'll find for instance that MR posters have a very favorable view of the famous 100 dollar laptop.

Thing is, a computer that uses an image of Justin Long doesn't really appeal to the people that a 50 cent computer would appeal to.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
50thVert said:
Taken from the linked article:

The negotiations between the rapper and Apple are for a "branding deal."

I'd damn near guarantee this "organization" isn't non-profit.

Who gives a flip if it's not no-profit?? It's the end result that counts. Seeing how we haven't seen an end result I hardly think it's proper to condemn it for not being a non-profit organization.

The government is a not for profit orginzation, and look what results from that.:rolleyes:

billSB22

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2005
FixedGear said:
The ignorance in this thread is mind boggling.
agreed

markkk! said:
people are...sounding racist.

anyway, i like the idea. i dont care who it is. atleast he makes most of his own music, even while it is not good, i still respect him for atleast being real.

but i really don't think apple will make an ugly mac no matter what kind of artist they colab with to make a computer...(which makes no sense anyway)

what name would they call it though?
also agree

while he may have fallen off, you can't deny where he came from and how he's come up. i may not feel what he's doing currently, but he still get's my respect. most of you probably don't even know how it is in the inner city (notice i said most, not all).

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
iGary said:
I'm not getting into this with you for the good of the thread. You know what I am talking about, please don't be obtuse about it. ;)

I think the good of the thread is gone. People are using racism to condem this project, and it's just wrong. It'd be better if you explained yourself.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Please, no!

Ugh, just what we need, the taint of rap/pop culture music on the mac. U2 was bad enough, but not this!!

Please say it aint so.

Storrow

macrumors regular
May 25, 2006
50 cent glorifies getting shot at, apple will never do this, not even an ipod model.

A wanna see a Tribe Called Quest Mac. iTribe.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
iGary said:
I'm not getting into this with you for the good of the thread. You know what I am talking about, please don't be obtuse about it. ;)

That's fine. But don't expect to imply that because it is '50 cent' and not '50 cents' that it is racist. That is ridiculous.

Slang and racism are not one and the same.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Subiklim said:
I think the good of the thread is gone. People are using racism to condem this project, and it's just wrong. It'd be better if you explained yourself.

Lets see... Lets not associate our beloved mac with gangs/killing/ and a form of "music" that degrades women and basterdizes the english langauge ?

And yes, I've lived in the inner city, in Hartford, where life really is a ****hole sometimes, and I dont want the Mac brand associated with that in any way/shape or form.

eyehop

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
let them eat apples

yo, reading these posts, there are sooo many Marie Antoinettes out there ;) Why would apple do this? Maybe because it's just the thing to do! Technology simply isn't in reach of sooo many, and bringing them in is probably good business/economy sense, especially long-term. I don't know how anyone can live not using the internet, but sooo many just have to. The next step, and probably just as important, is the access cost. 50 dollars to Comcast every month is a rip, and gas+electric comes first. This move would also bring a think-different, ethical punch to the marketplace for sure! The buzz would be phenomenal. Bring it on! :)

OK, and now for my mad version: Stop the sarcastic, hateful, idiotic references to drug containers and pimp machines. You oughta be ashamed. This isn't about branding a ghetto culture, it's about providing what people need and presently can't have. Associating this with some lyrics in .50 songs is just lame. Again, think different, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.