Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
50 Cent sucks! The get rich or die tryin' mentality further praises street life. This will be a sad day if 50 gets his name on a Mac machine. An iPod wouldn't be as bad. I don't like gangsta rappers and the ideals they represent.:mad:

Macnoviz

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Roeselare, Belgium

+

JonathanIve.jpg

+

50cent_300x298.jpg

EDIT: you guessed, it
=New Powerbooks Thuesday

(I know, I just couldn't resist

debrey

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Chicago
I would say this thread smacks more of ignorance of rap music than racism. I would say that rap is the most dynamic and exciting music right now. Most rappers are quite intelligent -- just listen to the lyrics (not to mention the musical genius that is foudn in the production, rythms, etc.). Of course some of it is rather bad, like 50 cent's, but then again there is bad pop music in every genre. As for the violence and sex -- we have lots of that in our movies, but we don't get mad at our action heroes. Rappers put on a persona -- that is part of the genre. Think of them like actors.

-- David

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Yeah we need more racist, homophobic, violence loving, anti-women bigots promoting Apple. I mean Rush just isn't enough.

The guy spent years terrorizing the black community as a drug dealing scum and has never repented or served hard time for it. Now he denigrates all black people and promotes the idea that criminals, violence, and rampant materialism is what black people should look up to. This scum should be in jail for many, many reasons, and it's appalling that anyone promotes this guy. If Apple starts paying him, I stop paying Apple.

tehdee

macrumors member
May 7, 2006
the concept itself, of making computers more available, and more 'desirable' to inner city youth, is an interesting concept.

what could prevent this from materiaizing though, is why it needs to be dependent upon a name, especially 50 cents name (read: brand), being involved. why? attempting to infiltrate a readily targeted market (sprite, puff daddy's enterprising, and1, etc...) would be possible without aligning themselves with 50 cent. as someone mentioned earlier, it has the potential to be interpreted as a slap in the face, to 'the inner city'.

regardless, now that this idea is out there, though it may not materialize into anything yet... the idea is still out there now.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
I just wish 50 Cent wasn't a mubling rapper... If he pronounced his words I might acctually like his stuff...

It'd be nice for a cheap end mac but no way would I buy it with a HUGE G over the Apple Symbol...

But of course this wasn't talking for me to buy because I'm not in the inner city. It'd be great if it brough inner city residents computers just wish it was't him... (though there really isn't many good rappers that are in the spot light as of right now).

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
storage said:
A lot of the people here need a reality check regarding hiphop culture.

Yes, they do. They need to understand that hip-hop culture is not some "freeing" expression of indivuality as it's billed, but a way for a few people to get disgustingly rich glorifying uglyness. Its a way for these people to rise themselves out of the ghetto, tell the people they what ****** conditions they are in, and how they understand (while they drink their Crystal and ride in their beamers) and have the idiots lap it up and make them a folk hero.

Yes, hip-hop and rap, beacons of purity and personal expression. I'd choose to characterize the "art forms" as the epitome of scam as an art form. Not only that, but they glorify the scum of modern society. While hip-hop I'll agree has some redeeming qualities, rap is nothing other than a fundamentally deterimental influence on America proper. As such, I do not want to see it as part of an Apple product. Ads are fine (and even then, I feel a bit of twinge, but I understand the marketing aspect), but to validate the crap that is rap with an apple branded GhettoBox™ ? No thanks.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Did any one see the VH1 or MTV special on women in rap videos?

It was about how they are degraded on set, and one point they made was how women are tested out (sexualy) by the posse's of the head rapper. If they are deemed fit (sexualy) then the girl is passed on to the head rapper for none other than sexual acts.

Well back to the first question if you've seen it, did they talk about 50 cent on there? I can't remember...

rog

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Kalapana, HI
Why not Kanye?

Ya know, the vast majority of inner-city black people are good people just trying to get by in a world full of crime and poverty where people like 50-cent prey on their pain as thugs until they make it big. He's also a turncoat on his own people who praised the Prez after Katrina. If they want a hip-hop artist promoting their products, why not Kanye West? At least he actually cares about the lives of black people and to my knowledge did not spend his adolescence as a terrorist in his own community.

ericmooreart

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
NY,NY
I don't care much for his music but I give him props for looking out for inner city kids. As it stands now Apple is marketed to middle and upper class buyers.

How about a low end Mac mini - no wireless, no bluetooth, a cd burner/dvd reader, no remote. maybe even 512 ram max and cut the video ram in half. Just bare bones.

I was an inner city kid that had acces to a mac and it changed my life;)

Nastard

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
Denver, CO
rog said:
Yeah we need more racist, homophobic, violence loving, anti-women bigots promoting Apple. I mean Rush just isn't enough.

The guy spent years terrorizing the black community as a drug dealing scum and has never repented or served hard time for it. Now he denigrates all black people and promotes the idea that criminals, violence, and rampant materialism is what black people should look up to. This scum should be in jail for many, many reasons, and it's appalling that anyone promotes this guy. If Apple starts paying him, I stop paying Apple.

Of all the words you could have chosen, "denigrates" is quite possibly the most hilarious.

cyberfunk

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
ericmooreart said:
I don't care much for his music but I give him props for looking out for inner city kids.

He's not looking out for inner city kids, he's looking out for his own pocket. If he cared, he'd donate some of his money back.

Subiklim

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2006
Manhattan, New York
rog said:
Ya know, the vast majority of inner-city black people are good people just trying to get by in a world full of crime and poverty where people like 50-cent prey on their pain as thugs until they make it big. He's also a turncoat on his own people who praised the Prez after Katrina. If they want a hip-hop artist promoting their products, why not Kanye West? At least he actually cares about the lives of black people and to my knowledge did not spend his adolescence as a terrorist in his own community.

LOL, yeah right, choose the idiot of the community to support a low-cost mac.

Not only did he lie by stating the katrina rescue effort was slowed because 'george bush doesn't like black people' (more white people were effected in the aftermath), he used it in a remix of one of his songs to make money off of something that helps no one, and hurts everyone.

e-clipse

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2006
Nashville,TN
50 Cent is involved in inner city youth, but his music he promotes, .... teaches a darker message that might creep deeper into the minds of his fans, the youth of tomorrow. Sad is the path of the youth that thinks he has as much of a chance
of living gangster and making something of himself. Reality is hiding out in houses , cold concrete, and hard steel cages. I would rather hear rappers preaching about a life without the street.

A is jump

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2005
San Francisco, Ca
FixedGear said:
The ignorance in this thread is mind boggling.

I was thinking the same thing. very depressing and disapointing.

what is the difference with Eminem advertising for the Ipod?
oh... I forgot hes white.

I really hope this is true. connect the inner city... give them the internet too!
at least 50cent understands that something needs to be done.
who knows if it will really make much of a difference, but poor people are makin less and less money, working more and more hours, leaving their kids alone, and everyone wants to blame them for the problems that are in many ways out of their direct control. perhaps having a computer would help them find a world outside city walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.